Havard Chances GRE Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheLaw1996

New

Havard Chances GRE

Post by TheLaw1996 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:54 pm

Hey Guys,

My GPA is 3.77 and my GRE is 169 (V), 157 (Q) and 5.5 (AWW). Black male, senior. Planning to spend a year working after grad, and then apply to law school. Haven't taken the LSAT yet (but probably will, depending on the answers to this thread). What are my chances at Harvard, using my GRE scores? Is taken the LSAT recommended, given my GRE scores?

Thanks.

Lemmymi

New

Re: Havard Chances GRE

Post by Lemmymi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

While Harvard is admitting using the gré, most of the scholarship (what little there is) is still given out based largely on need and lsat scores , I’d take it but it’s up to you.

DerKatze

New

Post by DerKatze » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:42 am

Ignore the post above. Harvard scholarships are given solely on the basis of need, and LSAT scores play no factor. Scholarships at Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are all given solely on the basis of need.

As an AA male with a ~3.8 UGPA, an LSAT score in the mid 160s could easily get you into Harvard. While Harvard does take the GRE, ABA places a substantial number of restrictions on using it. For example, law schools can only admit a limited number of applicants with just the GRE. Additionally, law schools have to report their LSAT scores but not their GRE scores. All this is in addition to the fact that very few law schools accept the GRE.

Considering you scored in the 99th percentile for VS (plus your other stats), I think you will likely get into Harvard if you don't take the LSAT. However, I would still recommend that you do. Since you have a year to study, and your 99th VS percentile means you wont' have to study much, taking the LSAT cannot hurt you that much. Taking it would also give you the opportunity to apply to Yale/Stanford, or get $$$ to CCN.

Law 202x

New

Post by Law 202x » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:02 am

Havard, pretty good I imagine. Harvard, not so much.

But seriously, I think you are an ideal candidate under the GRE policy. Schools want to admit high-caliber minority applicants, and the GRE allows them to do it and take out some values which may tend to depress LSAT scores and still admit these fine students who research has shown tend to score less well than their white and Asian counterparts. As a result, even though that was not explicitly reported, there's strong evidence for thinking that you are the kind of student (super sharp GRE, GPA) whom this policy was designed for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”