Over 3.9 Project over 165 LSAT from unknown University Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wambo85766

New

Over 3.9 Project over 165 LSAT from unknown University

Post by wambo85766 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello. I'm starting the law school search and have no idea where to even focus my prospects. I know taking a real LSAT will make everything more realistic however I was wondering. I'm from a local University in Ohio, study economics and finance with over a 3.9 and a few weeks ago I took two practice LSATs (without studying) 169 on the first one and a 165 on the second just so I had an idea of what I needed to practice (not rushing and reasoning). I'm super active with leadership roles and a lot of volunteer experience, recently founded a start-up tech company, as well as a federal internship after my second year.

UT Austin is my dream school, but I am looking at BU, Ohio State, Baylor, and UCLA. But, I'm a little nervous I might be shooting too high. Although I've worked pretty hard...my university is by no means well known and not very exclusive (usually the backup school for everyone in my area). I also am not sure if I'm underestimating the competition around me. I have never been published and have not focused on any research as well as a transfer from a better University in order to save money (I've been told transferring looks really bad especially because I transferred after one semester and took a semester off to decide what I wanted to do and just worked two jobs to save money). Just because you meet the stats for schools, it doesn't guarantee you a place, right?

hangingtree

New

Re: Over 3.9 Project over 165 LSAT from unknown University

Post by hangingtree » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Exceeding both medians gets you 90% of the way there. The rest is just not coming off as an otherwise problematic candidate.

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 am

Were your practice tests timed ones? That’s makes a huge difference. Do you plan on practicing in Texas? If so, then Texas Law makes sense otherwise I’m not sure why you would want to go there. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great school and Austin is terrific but if you plan to practice back in Ohio then it doesn’t make sense especially full price.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:41 am

I went to a similar shit state undergrad, identical grades, History major, and identical score (add +1). White as can be, compelling personal, and I was all over applying the schools I wanted to attend the second applications opened (they are more liberal with acceptances when there are plenty of seats available). Attended a T10, and was in fact accepted the day after I applied... I next day aired my application and got into my ultimate reach.

wambo85766

New

Post by wambo85766 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:45 am

goingnutslawschool wrote:Were your practice tests timed ones? That’s makes a huge difference. Do you plan on practicing in Texas? If so, then Texas Law makes sense otherwise I’m not sure why you would want to go there. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great school and Austin is terrific but if you plan to practice back in Ohio then it doesn’t make sense especially full price.
Yes, I timed both tests. I knew one of my biggest problems would be rushing through the sections instead of trying to take time because I don't have the best sense of pace.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wambo85766

New

Post by wambo85766 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 am

goingnutslawschool wrote:Were your practice tests timed ones? That’s makes a huge difference. Do you plan on practicing in Texas? If so, then Texas Law makes sense otherwise I’m not sure why you would want to go there. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great school and Austin is terrific but if you plan to practice back in Ohio then it doesn’t make sense especially full price.
Sorry I didn't finish responding...Yes, I plan on living in Texas, that's a big reason Baylor is on my list, because I know there can be better placement if you go to school where you want to practice (I'm sure it's not always true, but what I have heard). Ohio is just always my back up if I can't find a job for a long time because I have a lot of family there for support.

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:14 pm

That all sounds good. If you are hitting the 160’s already without studying then by all means study and get into the 170’s! Have you lived in Texas before or at least visited? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a native Texan and love our state but it’s a big adjustment for people from somewhere else. Especially those of us on the liberal side. And it’s hotter than hell in the summer. I mean, like you want to get the hell outta here hot and humid. From everything I’ve read, the caliber of your undergraduate college does not impede your application especially one with a stellar GPA. I’ve heard friends don’t let friends go to Baylor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”