To ED or not to ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
VivaTimor

New

To ED or not to ED?

Post by VivaTimor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:52 am

Stats: Bit of splitter with a 171 and 3.56
Other: Masters degree with 4.0 and more than two years int’l work experience (Peace Corps)
Preferences: NYU, Michigan, NU in that order
Spiel: Married, hopefully soon to be expecting, applying next cycle to start in fall of 2019, mostly interested in public interest, and thanks to PC have very low income to report. Scholarships and need-based aid will play a major role in my decision and I have no problem dropping a few spots in the rankings for $$. The 150k that comes with ed at nu is very very attractive but I have no idea how to gauge my likelihood of getting anywhere close to that at the two schools I prefer over nu. Guesses? Predictions? Advice? Do you think I’d be competitive for ed at nu? Do you think I’d have much of a chance at getting in my top two schools to begin with (ignoring money)? Should I be looking a little lower? Maybe Wash U or somewhere like that known to be generous with funding? Thanks for the thoughts!

albanach

Gold

Re: To ED or not to ED?

Post by albanach » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:59 pm

VivaTimor wrote:Stats: Bit of splitter with a 171 and 3.56
Other: Masters degree with 4.0 and more than two years int’l work experience (Peace Corps)
Preferences: NYU, Michigan, NU in that order
Spiel: Married, hopefully soon to be expecting, applying next cycle to start in fall of 2019, mostly interested in public interest, and thanks to PC have very low income to report. Scholarships and need-based aid will play a major role in my decision and I have no problem dropping a few spots in the rankings for $$. The 150k that comes with ed at nu is very very attractive but I have no idea how to gauge my likelihood of getting anywhere close to that at the two schools I prefer over nu. Guesses? Predictions? Advice? Do you think I’d be competitive for ed at nu? Do you think I’d have much of a chance at getting in my top two schools to begin with (ignoring money)? Should I be looking a little lower? Maybe Wash U or somewhere like that known to be generous with funding? Thanks for the thoughts!
Need based aid is pretty rare because loans are generally available to cover the full cost of attendance. Many schools therefore take the approach that no-one eligible for loans has any 'need' for aid. You can check the likelihood of admission and a prediction of scholarship dollars at mylsn.com

Return to “What are my chances?”