ugpa 3.1 LSAT 163 gunning for CUNY Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
aprehensiveokra

New

ugpa 3.1 LSAT 163 gunning for CUNY

Post by aprehensiveokra » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 pm

I have a strong desire to go to a public interest law school in NYC and be enrolled in a dual degree program in international relations. The CUNY dual degree program is ideal, especially because I will be eligible for in-state tuition. LSAC has me at a %90+ chance of getting in. I have great letters of rec, including a letter from a sitting state senator I've worked for, a successful lawyer in New York City I worked for, and a college professor I've known my entire life. It's been 6 years since I graduated college, so I have no LOR's from there.

I'm concerned that even though my LSAT, postgrad experience, and letters of rec are undeniably good, that my transcript is going to sink my chances. I didn't do better than B's and C's at any point in college, and I'm concerned that will end my chances because that is the only academic record they have of me.

I'm also concerned because, while being of hispanic heritage, I'm a white male.

I'm applying to about 12 other schools now, but CUNY is my top choice. Are there any other schools I should definitely be applying to? Do I have a good shot of being admitted to CUNY?

kw25

New

Re: ugpa 3.1 LSAT 163 gunning for CUNY

Post by kw25 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:24 pm

aprehensiveokra wrote:I have a strong desire to go to a public interest law school in NYC and be enrolled in a dual degree program in international relations. The CUNY dual degree program is ideal, especially because I will be eligible for in-state tuition. LSAC has me at a %90+ chance of getting in. I have great letters of rec, including a letter from a sitting state senator I've worked for, a successful lawyer in New York City I worked for, and a college professor I've known my entire life. It's been 6 years since I graduated college, so I have no LOR's from there.

I'm concerned that even though my LSAT, postgrad experience, and letters of rec are undeniably good, that my transcript is going to sink my chances. I didn't do better than B's and C's at any point in college, and I'm concerned that will end my chances because that is the only academic record they have of me.

I'm applying to about 12 other schools now, but CUNY is my top choice. Are there any other schools I should definitely be applying to? Do I have a good shot of being admitted to CUNY?
I have a friend at CUNY, and with a 163/above a 3.0 I really think you're okay lol. Just submit an addendum and try to explain yourself (even if you don't think you have an excuse, I'm sure you can come up with something)

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: ugpa 3.1 LSAT 163 gunning for CUNY

Post by L_William_W » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:49 pm

aprehensiveokra wrote:I have a strong desire to go to a public interest law school in NYC and be enrolled in a dual degree program in international relations. The CUNY dual degree program is ideal, especially because I will be eligible for in-state tuition. LSAC has me at a %90+ chance of getting in. I have great letters of rec, including a letter from a sitting state senator I've worked for, a successful lawyer in New York City I worked for, and a college professor I've known my entire life. It's been 6 years since I graduated college, so I have no LOR's from there.

I graduated from CUNY (I'm embarrassed to mention my LSAT). Trust me on this one: You'll get in. Just write a kick ass personal statement.

Return to “What are my chances?”