URM Chances - Can I get into HLS with this GRE Score? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
boombam

New

URM Chances - Can I get into HLS with this GRE Score?

Post by boombam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:35 pm

My stats:

HYP undergrad
GPA: 3.98, double major and minor. Top 5% of class
URM female, low income background
-stellar recs/extracurriculars (I lead several campus orgs)
-strong personal statement
-GRE: 164 verbal, 154 math. 318 total

I know my GRE score is lackluster but didn’t know how average it is since Harvard hasn’t been accepting the GRE for long. I’m currently a college junior applying to the junior deferral program.

Do I have a shot? Unfortunately I can’t retake the GRE since apps are due April 1.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: URM Chances - Can I get into HLS with this GRE Score?

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:32 pm

No one knows what GRE score will be the cutoff, but at least in previous threads, most people predict you need to be in the top 1-2 percentile. I would say your chances on GRE scores are fairly low.

However, you are an URM and we honestly have no idea what GRE cutoffs they will use. You could be a straight admit or a straight deny. All speculation

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor

New

Post by LSAT_Ninja_Tutor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 pm

According to current rules, you cannot be accepted with those scores. You also didn't mention your writing score which has to be considered as well. Current American Bar Association (ABA) rules require that for an applicant to be accepted to a law school without taking the LSAT, their GRE score must be in the 85th percentile and above in every section. The scores for each section is looked at individually. They're not combined like the SAT. You need to kick butt in every section to be accepted with GRE. Furthermore, schools are only allowed to accept 10% of their students with GRE scores alone.

I encourage people to stick with the LSAT because there's too much uncertainty with the GRE. What just happened with George Washington University Law is a perfect example of why I encourage people to do the LSAT. In case you don't know, George Washington just decided mid-cycle that they were no longer accepting people with GRE scores. They told students that had already applied with GRE scores that they now have to take the LSAT to be considered for admission.

Have you taken the LSAT? What made you decide the GRE over the LSAT? Are you applying to a dual program?

boombam

New

Post by boombam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 pm

Wait what??? No one has told me about that rule. Is that an actual thing?

I haven't taken the LSAT and have no time to do so, the app is due April 1. I'm in the 90-94th percentile most likely for Verbal, and way below 85 for math. I don't know the essay score because I took it today and was told by HLS to just self report the scores in an addendum since the score report would be late. The best I've ever done on a GRE math practice test was 70th percentile. Now I'm very worried.

kross90

New

Post by kross90 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Are you black? I know a black girl who had your gpa and got a 160 LSAT score and got into literally every school she applied to. Ended up at Yale. I think you are 1000% fine if you're black.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kross90

New

Post by kross90 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:36 pm

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor wrote:According to current rules, you cannot be accepted with those scores. You also didn't mention your writing score which has to be considered as well. Current American Bar Association (ABA) rules require that for an applicant to be accepted to a law school without taking the LSAT, their GRE score must be in the 85th percentile and above in every section. The scores for each section is looked at individually. They're not combined like the SAT. You need to kick butt in every section to be accepted with GRE. Furthermore, schools are only allowed to accept 10% of their students with GRE scores alone.

I encourage people to stick with the LSAT because there's too much uncertainty with the GRE. What just happened with George Washington University Law is a perfect example of why I encourage people to do the LSAT. In case you don't know, George Washington just decided mid-cycle that they were no longer accepting people with GRE scores. They told students that had already applied with GRE scores that they now have to take the LSAT to be considered for admission.

Have you taken the LSAT? What made you decide the GRE over the LSAT? Are you applying to a dual program?

Damn. Forgot about this rule!

lawschool99

New

Post by lawschool99 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:30 pm

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor wrote: Current American Bar Association (ABA) rules require that for an applicant to be accepted to a law school without taking the LSAT, their GRE score must be in the 85th percentile and above in every section.
Where is the source? I've never heard about this policy and curious where you found this info. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”