2.6, High 170s-- who'll take me? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
StVitus

New

2.6, High 170s-- who'll take me?

Post by StVitus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Stats in the title-- uGPA is mostly A's and B's with a few C's and a fair number of F's. Got into personal trouble in college after a friend died-- Made Dean's list my first semster (before he passed) and my last semester (when I straightened my shit out). Did a lot of drinking, which I do not do anymore. Undergrad degrees in English and Economics from William and Mary. Taking the June LSAT, last 3 prep test scores 176, 178, 176. Not a URM.

Since graduating I've been at a large insurance firm, got promoted, got certifications.

My boss would write a glowing letter, as would a UG teacher with whom I took a class during the hard times and after the hard times who saw me improve. I think I could make a case in my personal statement that anybody who took me would get the A student and successful adult, not the guy who lost himself during college. I understand there are plenty of very smart people who didn't make a mess of their lives during that time, too, so I won't take anything hard. Just figuring out how to go forward.

I'm from NJ, would like to do NYC BigLaw or DC regulatory stuff (took an antitrust course in college, loved it). Do I have any shot at the T14, or Rutgers or Seton Hall? I understand Skadden et al. will sometimes take the best students from those. Any advice would be appreciated-- if you need any clarifying info, happy to provide.

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: 2.6, High 170s-- who'll take me?

Post by L_William_W » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:53 pm

I hate making predictions, but if you write a kick ass personal statement, you can get into CUNY. CUNY likes students who've overcame adversity. You might get into Rutgers, Brooklyn Law, or Fordham. I doubt you'll get into Columbia or NYU.

Ethan#52

New

Post by Ethan#52 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:32 am

I went to law school as an evening/part-time student (4 years) and I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty sure the admissions requirements weren't as strict/hard as the day/full-time students. I would look into the schools that have a part-time program (ie. rutgers, seton hall, maybe fordham?) and apply there. Then, after your required 1L classes, you can ask about transferring into the full-time/day program. I know at least a hand full of people who did it. It might take you 3.5 years to graduate but it'll at least get you in the door. Who knows, maybe you can keep your day job, make some money, and finish in 4 years.

Good Luck!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 am

Ethan#52 wrote:I went to law school as an evening/part-time student (4 years) and I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty sure the admissions requirements weren't as strict/hard as the day/full-time students. I would look into the schools that have a part-time program (ie. rutgers, seton hall, maybe fordham?) and apply there. Then, after your required 1L classes, you can ask about transferring into the full-time/day program. I know at least a hand full of people who did it. It might take you 3.5 years to graduate but it'll at least get you in the door. Who knows, maybe you can keep your day job, make some money, and finish in 4 years.

Good Luck!
WTF? This must be trolling.

If you score in the 170's, you will likely get into a T14, and every school below.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”