180 LSAT w/ 3.3 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
padic

New

180 LSAT w/ 3.3 GPA

Post by padic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Brief History:
I went to a top 5 college and then developed bone marrow cancer (Myelodysplastic Syndrome). Due to my treatments and realization that I'd most likely die, I lived my life to the fullest extent. This meant I lived without fear of consequences and picked up a Disorderly Conduct and Obstruction along the way. Unfortunately for me, this also meant that I skipped all of my classes and failed. After that year, I underwent a life saving bone marrow transplant, and then came to the realization that I had messed up my chances for any sort of graduate/professional school. Two Years after my 'freshman year' of college I reenrolled at my local state school (Top 25 in Country). Now I am a junior and looking to apply to all of the T14 this upcoming year. My questions are: 1) What are my chances for the T14, but more specifically the T7? 2) Would I do better applying after the conclusion of my Senior Year, if it brought my GPA from a 3.30 to a 3.42?

Stats:
URM: No- Caucasian
Major: Mathematics
GPA: 3.30 with last 124 Credits at 4.0 GPA *3x Honorable Mention for the Putnam (My Fellow Math Geeks will know the difficulty and significance of this examination, where the average score is usually around 4/120).*
LSAT: 180
Extracurriculars: 500+ Hours Volunteering at Children's Cancer Center, Master Scuba Diver, Licensed Sky Diver, Marathons (Boston/Chicago/New York), Ultra Running (100+ Miles, including the Marathon Des Sables), Brazilian jiu-jitsu (Brown Belt).

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: 180 LSAT w/ 3.3 GPA

Post by L_William_W » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm sure if you mention the extenuating circumstances in your personal statement then it will work in your favor. I really don't like predictions. Predictions mean nothing- the end result means everything. I'd simply apply to the schools that you want to attend and hope for the best.

kw25

New

Post by kw25 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:42 pm

padic wrote:Brief History:
I went to a top 5 college and then developed bone marrow cancer (Myelodysplastic Syndrome). Due to my treatments and realization that I'd most likely die, I lived my life to the fullest extent. This meant I lived without fear of consequences and picked up a Disorderly Conduct and Obstruction along the way. Unfortunately for me, this also meant that I skipped all of my classes and failed. After that year, I underwent a life saving bone marrow transplant, and then came to the realization that I had messed up my chances for any sort of graduate/professional school. Two Years after my 'freshman year' of college I reenrolled at my local state school (Top 25 in Country). Now I am a junior and looking to apply to all of the T14 this upcoming year. My questions are: 1) What are my chances for the T14, but more specifically the T7? 2) Would I do better applying after the conclusion of my Senior Year, if it brought my GPA from a 3.30 to a 3.42?

Stats:
URM: No- Caucasian
Major: Mathematics
GPA: 3.30 with last 124 Credits at 4.0 GPA *3x Honorable Mention for the Putnam (My Fellow Math Geeks will know the difficulty and significance of this examination, where the average score is usually around 4/120).*
LSAT: 180
Extracurriculars: 500+ Hours Volunteering at Children's Cancer Center, Master Scuba Diver, Licensed Sky Diver, Marathons (Boston/Chicago/New York), Ultra Running (100+ Miles, including the Marathon Des Sables), Brazilian jiu-jitsu (Brown Belt).
I wouldn't want to make predictions either, but honestly dude there are people who weren't dying that are splitters with have a 3.3 and high LSAT like you who apply and get accepted no problem at t14 schools. Also, with the legal trouble, as long as you explain yourself and take full responsibility for your actions I really think it'll be fine. PLUS, you were literally dying. I really think you have reason to be optimistic here.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:58 pm

padic wrote: Would I do better applying after the conclusion of my Senior Year, if it brought my GPA from a 3.30 to a 3.42?
Yes. It certainly wouldn't hurt, if you don't mind the gap year. It'd be a shame to be on a waitlist somewhere you really want to attend wondering if that .12 would have done it.

padic

New

Post by padic » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 am

rowingmyboat wrote:
padic wrote: Would I do better applying after the conclusion of my Senior Year, if it brought my GPA from a 3.30 to a 3.42?
Yes. It certainly wouldn't hurt, if you don't mind the gap year. It'd be a shame to be on a waitlist somewhere you really want to attend wondering if that .12 would have done it.
Thank you for the advice. I will probably end up taking a gap year. It will allow me more time to travel while I still have time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”