K-JD, 3.88 GPA, LSAT Retake? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lsatkat

New

K-JD, 3.88 GPA, LSAT Retake?

Post by lsatkat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:03 am

Hi all!

I'm new to this site and hoping to get some insight into law school admissions for next fall's cycle. I'm 100% certain I want to attend law school, but I'm unsure where I stand with my LSAT. I *think* I have decent softs for an undergrad, but I'm really not sure since most people I've talked to have taken time off.

A little about me: I have a 3.88 GPA at a top three LAC with heavy grade deflation. I've studied abroad at Oxford, interned at Goldman and a clinic at HLS, and completed research for two professors at a top five MBA program. Most of my (limited, as an undergrad) experience has been catered towards going to law school (e.g. working in compliance, at a law school clinic, etc.). I took the LSAT this past winter and scored a 168. Basically, I'm wondering how competitive this makes me for different schools in the T14. I'm totally willing to retake in June, hopefully aiming for a 170+. My school just hasn't been very helpful giving me advice on whether or not I should retake. I would probably be content with any T14, but obviously if I could slightly increase my chances for admission into, say, CCN, then I'd eagerly do so.

The reason why I'm debating on retaking is because it'd definitely involve more studying which makes it a big commitment for me since I'm still in school full-time. If you could estimate where I would be accepted with a 168 vs. a 170+ (while considering my GPA and softs), that would be greatly appreciated. I've been told that I'll be at a slight disadvantage as a K-JD, but I just don't want to take any time off after undergrad. I'm confident law school is for me, so postponing would just feel like pointless waiting.

Thanks in advance!

albanach

Gold

Re: K-JD, 3.88 GPA, LSAT Retake?

Post by albanach » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 am

lsatkat wrote:Hi all!
... If you could estimate where I would be accepted with a 168 vs. a 170+ ...
Your softs aren't going to make much difference, other than as a tie breaker between you and another candidate with similar numbers.

To estimate the chance of admission, visit MyLSN.

lsatkat

New

Post by lsatkat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks! Didn't know MyLSN existed so that helps a lot!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:13 pm

lsatkat wrote:Thanks! Didn't know MyLSN existed so that helps a lot!
No problem. The rule of thumb is that, unless you are URM, an extreme splitter (have a very low GPA and high LSAT or vice versa), or have phenomenal softs (Olympic medal, Nobel Prize or something close) your cycle will be close to your numbers as predicted by MyLSN.

Obviously that won't always be the case, but it's good enough for most.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:03 pm

albanach wrote:
lsatkat wrote:Thanks! Didn't know MyLSN existed so that helps a lot!
No problem. The rule of thumb is that, unless you are URM, an extreme splitter (have a very low GPA and high LSAT or vice versa), or have phenomenal softs (Olympic medal, Nobel Prize or something close) your cycle will be close to your numbers as predicted by MyLSN.

Obviously that won't always be the case, but it's good enough for most.

FWIW, your softs will come into play for OCI so it wasn't all for nothing.

And yes, you should retake. Do everything in your power to make application the best it can be. A couple months of pain will be made up for by getting into better schools and/or getting more scholarship money. A better school means better employment prospects, and more money means you have more freedom to follow passions outside biglaw, whether this means taking a job at a nonprofit/startup/gov or even simply owning a home. Cost < benefit.

lsatkat

New

Post by lsatkat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Thank you both! I'll try to do some efficient studying these next few months then. Fingers crossed I can bring up my score.

I appreciate the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”