Leaning to retake, but want advice. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
abojadzi

New

Leaning to retake, but want advice.

Post by abojadzi » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Basically took the February LSAT, my first time. I was really aiming for 165-167, to pair with my 3.9 GPA and have a solid shot at USC/UCLA/Georgetown/Cornell. Nevertheless, here I am with a 164. Which is still 90th percentile and I should be happy I guess, but I am really bummed out, I feel like I am at the doorstep of a really good score and I really hit that specific border.

Softs:

- 1st Generation, moved to the States when I was 11 back in 2007.
- Worked 25+ all 4 years of college
- Double Major
- President of a Fraternity
- Board member of 3 clubs
- Chief of Operations for Pre Law Society
- Fluent in 5 languages

My question is would bumping up from a 164 to lets say a 166 make that big of a difference in regards to the schools I am aiming for?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Leaning to retake, but want advice.

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 pm

yes. those are meh softs. retake.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Agreed. Two months of studying could save you tens of thousands of dollars down the line and completely change your career prospects.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Your softs are roughly average for a top-14 school. If you get a 167, you're school options and scholarships likely change drastically. You could get into a top school now, but you'd likely be paying a sizable amount to attend. Law school will always be there. Max out your potential before you make your next move.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:17 pm

If you’re leaning towards retake then retake. With a 3.9 gpa a couple of more points will dramatically alter your options and for your benefit.( scholarships and school options) plus it’s better to apply early in the cycle, at least in my opinion.
You have a good score, but would you rather save tens of thousands of tuition dollars, if not more,over the length of repayment after law school jn exchange for a few months ? To me, if you look at the long term cost/ payment a year off to enjoy life, work, travel, etc isn’t hat bad. Law and law school, will still be there next year (or next 50 years) so there is no need to rush

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abojadzi

New

Post by abojadzi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 am

Highly appreciate the advice. I also feel like my GPA feels a bit wasted if I am at a 164.

In terms of studying for that second LSAT, I've been thinking of just ordering a few more practice exams and just taking them. Would you guys say that this is a valid strategy? I don't see myself really going back to the basics, only because I feel like I am not going to drastically improve - again only expecting a 2-3 point increase.

If not, what advice do you have?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 am

abojadzi wrote:Highly appreciate the advice. I also feel like my GPA feels a bit wasted if I am at a 164.

In terms of studying for that second LSAT, I've been thinking of just ordering a few more practice exams and just taking them. Would you guys say that this is a valid strategy? I don't see myself really going back to the basics, only because I feel like I am not going to drastically improve - again only expecting a 2-3 point increase.

If not, what advice do you have?
Focus on the areas where you make he most mistakes. Was stamina an issue? If so practice 6 section tests so you build endurance. If starting was a problem try warm ups before game day.even a 2-3 point increase is huge

abojadzi

New

Post by abojadzi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Problem is I took the February LSAT, which gives me no insight on the breakdown of my score - I have no clue where I did best or where I did worse. Generally, I feel like Reading Comp is my area of weakness, but during the test I felt like I was really doing well on it. Do you suggest I practice weakness based off of my practice exams, and just focus on those sections specifically OR take a more holistic approach and try to take full on tests?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 am

abojadzi wrote:Problem is I took the February LSAT, which gives me no insight on the breakdown of my score - I have no clue where I did best or where I did worse. Generally, I feel like Reading Comp is my area of weakness, but during the test I felt like I was really doing well on it. Do you suggest I practice weakness based off of my practice exams, and just focus on those sections specifically OR take a more holistic approach and try to take full on tests?
Look at your practice tests and focus/ drill the question types you got wrong. If reading comp is an Josie, you will have drill passages. Once you’re consistently scoring on those questions then move to practice tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

abojadzi

New

Post by abojadzi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Another question, if I am mostly interested in attending USC and fill out an early decision app, how much does that bump my chances? In general, how much of a chance would you say that I have in terms of getting accepted?

Considering the same LSAT and GPA, and all the other stuff.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 pm

abojadzi wrote:Another question, if I am mostly interested in attending USC and fill out an early decision app, how much does that bump my chances? In general, how much of a chance would you say that I have in terms of getting accepted?

Doing ED ends your chances for getting any scholarship. If you ED, you are saying you will attend at full cost. That is a terrible decision. DO NOT ED.

abojadzi

New

Post by abojadzi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
abojadzi wrote:Another question, if I am mostly interested in attending USC and fill out an early decision app, how much does that bump my chances? In general, how much of a chance would you say that I have in terms of getting accepted?

Doing ED ends your chances for getting any scholarship. If you ED, you are saying you will attend at full cost. That is a terrible decision. DO NOT ED.
According to the USC School of Law website, all those who get accepted with the ED program are guaranteed at least 50% of tuition coverage.

WavingGiftshopCat

New

Post by WavingGiftshopCat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Retake. No question IMHO.

I created this account to share the advice that saved me over 200K. Success stories inspired me, so here you go:

Two years ago, I applied with a 156, and 160ish and a 4.0. Got waitlisted across the T14 and a mediocre scholarship at BU. I almost couldn't stomach pulling the break on going to law school, but TLS convinced me to withdraw my aps and to retake for a third score.

I studied hard (dropping 1K on a reputable prep course pays off big time), boosted my score to a 168ish (though I was PT'ing at 174 so it was still a super bummer when score dropped). I hustled for a neat job in the year off to get life experience.

Reapplied, only denied by the T14 at Y and S with a waitlist at H that never paid off. In the end, I chose a near full ride at GCND instead of my other option - of 300K of debt at CCN. Now I am relatively stress free 1L sitting comfortably above median while studying for another round of finals. Law school is no cakewalk, but the financial security and opportunities I secured myself leave me with few complaints.

Taking a year to retake got me into schools that denied me previously and saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You can do the same.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:34 am

WavingGiftshopCat wrote:Retake. No question IMHO.

I created this account to share the advice that saved me over 200K. Success stories inspired me, so here you go:

Two years ago, I applied with a 156, and 160ish and a 4.0. Got waitlisted across the T14 and a mediocre scholarship at BU. I almost couldn't stomach pulling the break on going to law school, but TLS convinced me to withdraw my aps and to retake for a third score.

I studied hard (dropping 1K on a reputable prep course pays off big time), boosted my score to a 168ish (though I was PT'ing at 174 so it was still a super bummer when score dropped). I hustled for a neat job in the year off to get life experience.

Reapplied, only denied by the T14 at Y and S with a waitlist at H that never paid off. In the end, I chose a near full ride at GCND instead of my other option - of 300K of debt at CCN. Now I am relatively stress free 1L sitting comfortably above median while studying for another round of finals. Law school is no cakewalk, but the financial security and opportunities I secured myself leave me with few complaints.

Taking a year to retake got me into schools that denied me previously and saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You can do the same.
This is why you need to think of the future 6 ears from now instead of one year from now... otherwise he cost of immediate reward going to law school) can cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars later

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”