180 LSAT/3.2 GPA to 3.5 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
OopsGPA

New

180 LSAT/3.2 GPA to 3.5 GPA

Post by OopsGPA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi,

I will be applying to law schools next year. My GPA is fairly atrocious, looking to be at about a 3.2 by the end of my junior year. By the end of senior year, with straight As (something that I am firmly convinced I will achieve) I should have about a 3.5 (I will be taking a lot of courses).

My freshman year I had straight As, sophomore first semester was where it started to go awry and sophomore second semester/junior first semester are in the tanks. There were personal circumstances which contributed to this which I think I will discuss in my personal letter, but I don't want to sound as if I'm refusing to take accountability for my errors. I'm hoping that this letter, combined with the flawless grades 2nd semester junior and both senior semesters will support the idea that despite the lapse in my grades, I am capable of strong performance in a rigorous courseload.

What sorts of schools would be reasonable for me to aim for? I'm really hoping to get into a school like UCLA or Georgetown, and have seen data that supports the idea that I possibly /could/ get in, but I don't know the circumstances around that data so I don't want to assume. Do I have a chance at these schools, from numbers alone? I think I have fairly strong supplements to the numbers themselves, but nothing outstanding enough to outweigh a 3.2 (in my opinion). What schools should I apply to that I have a strong likelihood of admittance?

Appreciate any and all feedback!

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: 180 LSAT/3.2 GPA to 3.5 GPA

Post by L_William_W » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but how do you know that you'll get a 180 on the LSAT if you haven't taken it yet?

OopsGPA

New

Post by OopsGPA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:34 pm

L_William_W wrote:I'm not trying to be an asshole, but how do you know that you'll get a 180 on the LSAT if you haven't taken it yet?
My apologies for not specifying - I have already taken the exam. It was one of the few things I managed to pull together for last year.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Assuming you can get your GPA to 3.5, you most definitely will get into UCLA and Georgetown. With 3.5/180, you probably will get into most every school, with some chance at YHS.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:09 pm

silenttimer wrote:Assuming you can get your GPA to 3.5, you most definitely will get into UCLA and Georgetown. With 3.5/180, you probably will get into most every school, with some chance at YHS.
A K-JD 3.5 is almost certainly too low for YS, 180 or no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RezIpsy

New

Post by RezIpsy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:34 pm

1- Those are excellent credentials so if you have 1 or 2 dream schools, I’d apply. I know it isn’t free to apply but I’d splurge on a couple of mid-range shots. Schools take more than just the numbers into account. If it is fear of rejection, not the cash, deal with that now because Law school is competitive even after you get it (but you grow immensely). IMO, I’d be more at peace knowing something wasn’t an opportunity than live with a perpetual “what if.”

2- Take more than just rankings into consideration. Of course you want to be looking at bar passage rates but there are factors to consider even beyond that! If you have a particular field of law that you are interested in, some schools have more clinical opportunities in those areas than others. Some schools offer dual degree programs where you can add on a year and get an MBA or MSW with your JD and some schools have programs where you can learn US and a foereign legal system. Other things to consider are the academic support, academic policies, career services, demographic, faculty, etc. You’re going to spend a lot of time there, you want to like the environment and culture. Talk to students who attend there or look for articles on what issues/accomplishments the school has.

3- SCHOLARSHIPS! Remember, Law school scholarships are mostly merit based and your credentials could score you an excellent scholarship opportunity. Not the first factor people consider but three years in and well into six figures deep you’ll wish you had! Along that note, cost of living in some areas is MUCH higher than others too.

4- Last, consider where you want to eventually practice. Some cities are more saturated than others. I put this last because it’s not as relevant as the others. Once you’re educated and trained you can take another bar exam and get a job in another state. However, you’re also likely to get a post-bar offer from places you interned while in school too.

Hope that helps! Good luck! It’s a wild ride but so worth it. You’ll never see he works the same again after law school.

Flo2017bartkr

New

Post by Flo2017bartkr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:38 pm

sev wrote:
silenttimer wrote:Assuming you can get your GPA to 3.5, you most definitely will get into UCLA and Georgetown. With 3.5/180, you probably will get into most every school, with some chance at YHS.
....Ummmm... chances for what? World domination..? I'd say you've got a shot... Here's some advice, if you haven't already applied: A lot of schools consider character, even with "all things [Not quite] being equal"...What good things have you done for those around you...? Good will can sometimes nudge out a tinsy higher GPA.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Apply to all of the t-14 , plus the state flagship schools of the state(s) where you want to practice and spend the majority if you career. Be sure to be able to write a why state school essay that describes your ties and desires to live and practice there.

If application cost is an issue, ask for fee waivers.

Graybrow

New

Post by Graybrow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:24 pm

OopsGPA wrote:Hi,

I will be applying to law schools next year. My GPA is fairly atrocious, looking to be at about a 3.2 by the end of my junior year. By the end of senior year, with straight As (something that I am firmly convinced I will achieve) I should have about a 3.5 (I will be taking a lot of courses).

My freshman year I had straight As, sophomore first semester was where it started to go awry and sophomore second semester/junior first semester are in the tanks. There were personal circumstances which contributed to this which I think I will discuss in my personal letter, but I don't want to sound as if I'm refusing to take accountability for my errors. I'm hoping that this letter, combined with the flawless grades 2nd semester junior and both senior semesters will support the idea that despite the lapse in my grades, I am capable of strong performance in a rigorous courseload.

What sorts of schools would be reasonable for me to aim for? I'm really hoping to get into a school like UCLA or Georgetown, and have seen data that supports the idea that I possibly /could/ get in, but I don't know the circumstances around that data so I don't want to assume. Do I have a chance at these schools, from numbers alone? I think I have fairly strong supplements to the numbers themselves, but nothing outstanding enough to outweigh a 3.2 (in my opinion). What schools should I apply to that I have a strong likelihood of admittance?

3.2/175 at Columbia right now. Apply early and write Why X essays to display interest. You should do fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Flo2017bartkr wrote:
sev wrote:
....Ummmm... chances for what? World domination..? I'd say you've got a shot... Here's some advice, if you haven't already applied: A lot of schools consider character, even with "all things [Not quite] being equal"...What good things have you done for those around you...? Good will can sometimes nudge out a tinsy higher GPA.
How high were you when writing this post? :lol:

I don't want to discourage OP from following their dreams, but YS is not realistic without taking a lot of time out to gain WE; http://mylsn.info/zrbc7b/

flashdril

New

Post by flashdril » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm

I was 3.38/174 and got into most of the t-14. I'd just try to get to the higher part of your GPA range and you're going to be fine.

Flo2017bartkr

New

Post by Flo2017bartkr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 pm

sev wrote:
Flo2017bartkr wrote:
sev wrote:

I don't want to discourage OP from following their dreams, but YS is not realistic without taking a lot of time out to gain WE; http://mylsn.info/zrbc7b/
sev wrote:
Flo2017bartkr wrote:
sev wrote:

Me? "High"..?!!! Lol. I'm an old lady, I dont get "high". I don't even drink alcohol, haven't in years... I didn't even get high in the 80's, in my glory days...lol

psj9004

New

Post by psj9004 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:36 am

Graybrow wrote:

3.2/175 at Columbia right now. Apply early and write Why X essays to display interest. You should do fine.

I have similar stat, but a little lower: 3.19/172. I would die to go to Columbia. did you apply ED by any chance?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Graybrow

New

Post by Graybrow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:40 pm

psj9004 wrote:
Graybrow wrote:

I have similar stat, but a little lower: 3.19/172. I would die to go to Columbia. did you apply ED by any chance?
I didn't. Good target for you to ED though. I'd retake in June if I were you. Every inch helps on the LSAT when your GPA is as low as ours.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:06 am

RezIpsy wrote: Of course you want to be looking at bar passage rates but there are factors to consider even beyond that! If you have a particular field of law that you are interested in, some schools have more clinical opportunities in those areas than others. Other things to consider are the academic support, academic policies, career services, demographic, faculty, etc.
None of these are factors that should have any significant influence on your decision. Bar passage is completely irrelevant for the schools you are looking at with a 180 LSAT.

Y and S are probably longshots with the GPA, but HCCN are in the picture if you end up with a 3.5, and you will get into multiple T-14s, probably at least one with significant money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”