2.67 UGPA, 3.7 GradGPA, 164 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Alng5414

New

2.67 UGPA, 3.7 GradGPA, 164 LSAT

Post by Alng5414 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 am

Hey all,

A little about me. I'm about 4 years removed from my undergraduate degree. I don't have huge excuses for my poor gpa, except that I worked full time to pay off my degrees. I double majored in Bio and English.

Fast forward and I've finished my MA in English with a higher GPA, which I know doesn't really factor into adcom decisions.

My softs aren't great, and my WE is limited and irrelevant to law.

I know I'll have good LOR and a PS, and the only addenda I'll have will be the one explaining my UGPA and another to explain a small hiccup in my graduate gpa.

My questions are the following:

Should I even bother applying to law school? The ones I'm interested in are CU Boulder for their environmental program, Northwestern, Fordham, UCI and UCD.

Should I include the graduate gpa addendum? I was diagnosed with terminal disease, but continued with my education.

Thanks.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: 2.67 UGPA, 3.7 GradGPA, 164 LSAT

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Alng5414 wrote: I don't have huge excuses for my poor gpa . . .(addendum) explaining my UGPA
I don't know what the standard response around here is about this, but don't write addenda explaining your poor GPA unless you have an actual reason why the school shouldn't penalize you for your poor GPA. Addenda are usually for things like "Dad had a heart attack and I had to spend two semesters taking care of him while he regained his health" or "I got hit by a bus while on campus and it took a year before I was able to focus on my studies again."
Should I include the graduate gpa addendum? I was diagnosed with terminal disease, but continued with my education.
Your grad GPA isn't going to factor into the decision much. It seems weird to me to write an addendum about your good GPA and not write one about your abysmal GPA, so if I were in your shoes, I'd not write any GPA addendum.
Should I even bother applying to law school? The ones I'm interested in are CU Boulder for their environmental program, Northwestern, Fordham, UCI and UCD.
Get your LSAT at or above 170 before even thinking about it. You haven't said anything that seems to indicate you'll outperform your numbers, which are 2.67/164. Frankly, you're going to be investing a bunch of time, money and effort into something that, given your current numbers, leaves you with a difficult road to gainful employment. Even if you have the money to pay for law school and salary isn't an object, I'd probably still retake to give a better chance of acceptance to the better schools on your list. Frankly, I wouldn't take a penny of student loans out to go to any of those schools (NW possibly excepted, depending on how much they paid me). Why? Because the chance of you making enough money to pay them back (especially in enviro) is about zero.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Re: 2.67 UGPA, 3.7 GradGPA, 164 LSAT

Post by Justtrying2help » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:37 am

I don't think you have an obligation to mention your terminal illness. Also, there is no chance that you would benefit from admitting so. I hope you find a cure and I do not mean to sound insensitive, but law schools are interested in admitting students who will pay three years of tuition and improve their employment score. Terminal illnesses unfortunately do not correlate well to either. Keep this information to yourself unless you need accommodations after admission.

In other news, GPA addendums are largely a waste of time.

If you want to go to law school, go. If you are single and have no obligations (financial or relational), I don't see much of a downside. Do retake, but I don't see the point of you sitting out a year considering the circumstances.

Return to “What are my chances?”