I'm a foreigner who unexpectedly aced LSAT. Chances of getting into top schools as an international student? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
anabern

New

I'm a foreigner who unexpectedly aced LSAT. Chances of getting into top schools as an international student?

Post by anabern » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Hello, I am new to the forum so please notify me if I'm doing something wrong :mrgreen: Anyway, I am a 3rd year undergraduate International Relations student from central Europe and the current job prospects for this field in my country are somewhat poor. So lately, I've been looking for alternatives and since I'm very interested in international law, I decided to look into law schools (I am especially interested in studying in the US).

In December, I decided to give LSAT a shot and took the test in Germany after studying for about 3 months. While I did prepare, I completely unexpectedly scored 173, which opens up some new opportunities. While I would love to study law in the US, I would only do so if I got into a top school (since it's not worth it otherwise).

My GPA is 10.0, which is the highest possible GPA on my country's grade scale (I am pretty sure it would be 4.0 in US) and I've been in the top 5% of my generation for the past two years. While my grades are good, LSAC will have to convert them and to my knowledge, this would put me in Superior category. That doesn't do me any good, since this conversion is very non-specific and is probably more of a requirement than an advantage, so I am guessing I will mostly have to rely on my LSAT score. I know I will have to write a personal statement, but other than that, I am not sure if there is anything else that can help my admission. So what else would law schools look at in my case? I'm a member of a few extracurricular clubs at my university, volunteered in Africa and spent two semesters studying abroad in the UK, but that's mostly it. So what are my chances of getting into top schools? I took TOEFL before studying abroad in UK and scored a 114, so language shouldn't be a problem.

Also, what are my chances of a scholarship? I can get a few scholarships in my country, but they can barely cover about 40% of tuition. If I got into a really good law school, I'd have no problem with taking a loan, since my family definitely can't afford to pay that amount.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: I'm a foreigner who unexpectedly aced LSAT. Chances of getting into top schools as an international student?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:54 pm

An LSAT score of 173 & top grades from your university will get you admitted to most of the Top 14 law schools. You may get substantial scholarship money from several lower Top 14 law schools. LSDAS (law school data assembly service) may issue a report on your grades that should help.

Yale & Stanford are unlikely, but they are unlikely for everyone--at least you have a shot.

Return to “What are my chances?”