3.79 GPA, 163 Diagnostic Time/174 Diagnostic blind reviewed Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stormNYC

New

3.79 GPA, 163 Diagnostic Time/174 Diagnostic blind reviewed

Post by stormNYC » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:14 pm

In full disclosure, I took PowerScore's course 3 years ago, though I didn't pay attention or complete assignments as I wasn't yet sold on law school. Two weeks ago I took PT 62 as a diagnostic (I had already taken June 2007), and scored a 163 (-5 rc, -4 lr, -8 lg, -9 lr).

Today, after going through 7Sage for one week (only up through their basic logic core curriculum, so no games or rc or advanced lr), I decided to blind review my PT 62. Admittedly, I only went back and wrote down all questions I got wrong (not the answer I selected originally). Then I took that piece of paper with the section and numbers I had gotten wrong and redid the problems. I ended up with a 174 (-2 rc, -3 lr, -0 lg, -3 lr).

My undergraduate gpa is a 3.79, inclusive of 4 or 5 graduate-level courses. I will have worked over 3 full years ft by the time I'd start law school.

If I continue to study hard (about 20 hours per week, ~20-25 full timed PTs), does it seem feasible that I could take the June LSAT and score a 169+? After this blind review, part of me wants to aim for scoring a 172+ on the LSAT, since I am able to understand concepts. It seems like I just need to work on solidifying concepts strongly so that I can work at a more diligent pace while doing PTs. Is that crazy out of reach?

Given all of that, hoping I could get into NYU or higher for law school (2018-2019 admissions cycle).

Thoughts?

resiny

New

Re: 3.79 GPA, 163 Diagnostic Time/174 Diagnostic blind reviewed

Post by resiny » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 am

I never did blind review, at least not the grueling, incredibly time-consuming thing a lot of people describe doing. I would check my score and then check answers I got wrong without looking at the answers, but that was not that time-consuming. Anyway, I don't put much stock in BR scores. But a 163 is a great place to start. I similarly had taken a practice test and then dropped the law school idea for a few years and then taken another PT and hit low-mid 160s. It's a good place to start. June is totally realistic if you have a reasonable amount of free time to study.

You're at -26. I'd aim for consistently getting -10 or less. Logic game will give you the biggest return for time invested. Just drill as many as you possibly can. -0 to -2 is a reasonable target. Improving on the other sections is a bit more complicated, but doable. And if you take in June and don't like your score you can always retake in July or Sept and still have your apps in early.

resiny

New

Re: 3.79 GPA, 163 Diagnostic Time/174 Diagnostic blind reviewed

Post by resiny » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

Also, your GPA is fine (great even) for NYU and Columbia, but above that is starting to get a bit low. (I'm in the same boat.) YS will be dicey, if LSN is a guide, and H might take a 173+ to have a decent chance. But CCN are possible with a 170 but substantially easier with a 172-173.

I don't know that it makes sense to 'aim' for that, though. Aim for a 180 and see what happens. But if you hit a 169 in June, say, I'd retake.

Return to “What are my chances?”