Chances for MA URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JuryNullifier

New

Chances for MA URM

Post by JuryNullifier » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi folks, long-time lurker. This board helped me discover the importance of the LSAT and helped me study effectively. I ultimately improved by 20+ from my first PT. I’m hoping you can help me out again, as LSN’s sample size for my numbers is quite small.

GPA: 3.7. My last two years were much better than my first two.
LSAT: 174
URM: Mexican American (SO to the URM Cycle thread, I’ve really enjoyed following your experiences)
WE: Two years of extremely lame WE. Not related to law, finance or anything like that and super-entry level.
Softs: Just based on what I see from TLS, ultra-lame. I see people with much better softs than I being told said softs are mediocre. (Not to say those assessments are inaccurate). UG institution was a big state school.

To be clear, I haven’t submitted my apps or anything. This is for the upcoming cycle, so let’s assume I don’t submit really late or something. Thanks everyone!

Edited for clarity

LoganCouture

Gold

Re: Chances for MA URM

Post by LoganCouture » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 pm

YHS or CCN with money. Trust me on this one.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 pm

If your numbers hold up even +/- 3 or 4 points for the LSAT, HYS is likely and CCN with a shot at their full scholarships.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 am

Given what the non-URM numbers look like, I think youll be just fine. Get your PS and DS in the best shape you can, do the supplemental essays, apply to the entire t13, negotiate where you feel it necessary, and enjoy some great opportunities to choose from.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Basically flip your GPA and LSAT median-wise and you're me. I had an amazing cycle and wound up choosing between H/S and a Ruby. If you'd rather have money at a CCN, maybe work hard to write a good "Why X" for them, but otherwise you have an exceptionally strong chance at HYS. Don't worry about the WE or softs at all.

Edit: Except for Yale, I did apply early in the cycle everywhere, so definitely do that as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”