LSAT: 153 / GPA: 2.3 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hamshotfirst

New

Re: LSAT: 153 / GPA: 2.3

Post by hamshotfirst » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 am

HamiltonBurr wrote:I want to work in government affairs in some capacity, and a J.D. would provide a skill set that would allow me to succeed in the D.C. Job market. I have maintained my network on capitol hill and fairly certain I would be able to land an externship or fellowship with a congressional office during law school if admitted. I had some pretty traumatic events occur during high school that carried over into college and I didn't apply myself to school at all.
Just going to weigh in here as someone who's worked with people in government affairs and has a mentor in the field. A JD isn't going to help you get there, connections to the government employees will. People who go into government affairs with JDs were often legal counsel for state or national legislators and then get hired by firms or businesses. The JD isn't the key, the network is. It sounds like you're already on the right path. I don't think you need a JD at all to go the government affairs route. You just have to keep networking, maybe work a campaign for 2018 and see if you can land full-time in a higher-up position on the staff of a winning candidate. After a few years of that you will have firms looking to poach you. Just my opinion, though, so take it as you will. Good luck!

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:56 pm

politibro44 wrote:
The "skill set" you gain from law school does not prepare you to succeed in a government affairs or lobbying type gig. It merely prepares you to "think like a lawyer" and possibly improve one's writing abilities. And if you don't even want to practice law, why get a law degree?

It seems you already have connections on Capitol Hill and might be a good networker. Why don't you just move to DC and hustle your way up the ladder? Or alternatively, consider an MPP if you are dead set on getting some advanced degree. It could provide more utility for the career you are seeking and be less expensive.
OP- Theres a lot of wisdom in this post. The question isn't whether you're worthy of or able to succeed in law school. The question is whether it's the best option for you to achieve your goals. This is actually a very good test of the kind of reasoning you'll need in law school. There may be better paths for you to achieve your goal and that's all the other posts are asking you to examine. It may not feel like it, but they're really on your side.

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

there's literally no good outcome for a 153/2.3. any school that will accept you is not worth going to. retake and shoot for a >165 or forget about law school. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 pm

hamshotfirst wrote:
HamiltonBurr wrote:I want to work in government affairs in some capacity, and a J.D. would provide a skill set that would allow me to succeed in the D.C. Job market. I have maintained my network on capitol hill and fairly certain I would be able to land an externship or fellowship with a congressional office during law school if admitted. I had some pretty traumatic events occur during high school that carried over into college and I didn't apply myself to school at all.
Just going to weigh in here as someone who's worked with people in government affairs and has a mentor in the field. A JD isn't going to help you get there, connections to the government employees will. People who go into government affairs with JDs were often legal counsel for state or national legislators and then get hired by firms or businesses. The JD isn't the key, the network is. It sounds like you're already on the right path. I don't think you need a JD at all to go the government affairs route. You just have to keep networking, maybe work a campaign for 2018 and see if you can land full-time in a higher-up position on the staff of a winning candidate. After a few years of that you will have firms looking to poach you. Just my opinion, though, so take it as you will. Good luck!
This is spot-on. I also had a lot of classmates that got a JD with the aim of working on the Hill. They've done it--after going into significant debt to not make much money in a job they could likely get without a JD.

You will not get into Louisville or Kentucky with those #s. The others, who knows, I think South TX and A&M take about anyone, but it will be at full freight and completely not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”