163 Diagnostic, 3.79 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stormNYC

New

163 Diagnostic, 3.79 GPA

Post by stormNYC » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi!

I'm new here. A few years back while in undergrad, I took PowerScore's in-person LSAT course. Admittedly, I was not sold on law school at that point in time and did not make the most of the in-class time. Apologies in advance, this is a mish-mash post of someone looking for some thoughts/advice.

Now, nearly two years out of undergrad, I'm looking at applying in the 2018-2019 admissions cycle for a Fall 2019 start date. I took my first timed LSAT in over two years and scored a 163 (December 2010, as I had taken the June 2007 LSAT previously; -5 rc, -4 lr, -7 lg, -9 lr). I felt generally good about the test, which I took at a noisy cafe/deal with distractions while timed. I hesitate in calling this a diagnostic score, as I recognize I did technically take a course. But, 2 years later, it feels like I'm restarting the process.

I'm looking at taking the June LSAT with the goal of around 169-172+ as a final score. Does that seem feasible? Thoughts on using 7Sage given my diagnostic score breakdown? I currently do advanced analytics for a large retail company through a global ad agency, so I suspect my reading comprehension is a bit off given how little reading I do on the day-to-day.

Undergrad was in International Affairs/Journalism and I received a BA w/ Honors (3.79 GPA) and led University government for a year. I took several graduate-level courses in undergrad and held internships/jobs throughout (legal internship under Federal Judge in NYC, paralegal intern at a class-action litigation non-profit, an intern at US Mission to the United Nations, global strategy intern and part-time consultant at a global advocacy non-profit for young people). I also received some distinguished awards (student leader award out of all University students, inclusive of graduate students and humanitarian award upon graduation). I worked my first full-time job for 1.5 years at an LGBT non-profit developing health campaigns for NYSDOH and, as mentioned, now conduct advanced analytics for a leading advertising agency in NYC. I'm on a young professionals board for a legal non-profit outside of work and lead LGBT volunteer events at the agency I work for in the city.

I have quite a mixed background, all of which have been tests helping me decipher whether a legal practice is where I feel I can contribute most to the world, and I'm now decided that it is. So, here I go.. Taking the LSAT for real.

Thoughts on my ability to get up to a 169-172 given my 'diagnostic'? Thoughts on my getting into a top law school (wanting to get into NYU or Columbia and dreaming of Harvard or Yale) given my background?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Last edited by stormNYC on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Re: 163 Diagnostic, 3.79 GPA

Post by poptart123 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Seems feasible. You can easily knock 5 off your RC right away, and probably the same off your LG, I bet. Haven't used 7Sage except for the free videos. In my experience they are good. I will defer to somebody else about the rest of the program.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 pm

I think 7Sage is a great option along with Manhattan's Guides/The LSAT Trainer.

Was PT62 a fresh take for you? If so, I think you have an excellent chance of scoring in your desired range.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stormNYC

New

Post by stormNYC » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:08 pm

poptart123 wrote:Seems feasible. You can easily knock 5 off your RC right away, and probably the same off your LG, I bet. Haven't used 7Sage except for the free videos. In my experience they are good. I will defer to somebody else about the rest of the program.
Thanks for the advice. Yes - I think I can knock some stuff off easily. I really got mixed up on the last lr section, primarily because I had been extremely distracted (coffee shop closed and I had to pause timer, go home, and complete test) at that point. I got the last 5 questions wrong, which are the 5 I took once back to my apartment.

Finger's crossed. I like that 7Sage will be analyzing my performance to help me focus on questions types I'm weaker on. That is always a challenge for me - drilling my weakest points. So, hopefully, 7Sage would help with that.

stormNYC

New

Post by stormNYC » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:I think 7Sage is a great option along with Manhattan's Guides/The LSAT Trainer.

Was PT62 a fresh take for you? If so, I think you have an excellent chance of scoring in your desired range.
Yes - fresh take after 2 years of not looking at the LSAT or any logical reasoning questions (though I definitely use logic in my day-to-day doing coding for analysis). Thanks. Hoping I could even end up aiming for around 172+.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm

stormNYC wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:I think 7Sage is a great option along with Manhattan's Guides/The LSAT Trainer.

Yes - fresh take after 2 years of not looking at the LSAT or any logical reasoning questions (though I definitely use logic in my day-to-day doing coding for analysis). Thanks. Hoping I could even end up aiming for around 172+.
There's not a doubt in my mind that you can't reach a 172. You got this! 8)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stormNYC

New

Post by stormNYC » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
stormNYC wrote:

There's not a doubt in my mind that you can't reach a 172. You got this! 8)

You just told me that you are certain I cannot reach a 172 :shock: hahah. But, I'll take it as though you meant to say "There's not a doubt in my mind that you can reach a 172."

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”