MA Female, 160 LSAT, 3.5 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bluebonnet

New

MA Female, 160 LSAT, 3.5 GPA

Post by Bluebonnet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi all!

First time poster and applying for the 2018-2019 cycle (so in October most likely). My top choices are Columbia and UT (from Texas originally). I could be lured to California just need to do some more research. It would be great to get scholarship money but it's not absolutely a make or break.
I went to the number one liberal arts college in the country and graduated a few years ago. I also have a Masters degree and have worked full time in the field I majored in since graduating from college.

I took the December LSAT and got a 160, though I was PT'ing in the 165 range. Taking again in February just to see what happens.

I have strong Native American heritage from both South and North America (particularly Apache from south Texas). I'm not 100% confident claiming it since I was raised primarily identifying as Mexican-American but my family's foothold in Central Texas and in my hometown have certainly shaped me. Still thinking about what to do in terms of claiming any Native American heritage on my application and how I would talk about it in a Diversity Statement if at all.

Anywhere else I should consider applying? The ultimate goal would be to work as a general counsel for a cultural institution or government agency.

Thanks!

Bluebonnet

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Re: MA Female, 160 LSAT, 3.5 GPA

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 pm

I don't think there's any harm in claiming Native American heritage. It sounds like you really do have a connection to it, and if you're interested in cultural heritage work, maybe you'd be interested in advocacy for Native American folks throughout the country? Definitely something I'm thinking about myself (no ancestral connection to Native folks) particularly given ongoing issues of marginalization and delegitimization in the U.S. That might be an interesting tie if you're interested in that.

That said, re: other schools to apply to you--you may want to consider places like Cornell, Duke, and Vanderbilt. Emory might also be a good school for you to apply to; just looking at this year alone, you'd have a fantastic shot of acceptance. Based on mylsn, it looks like you'd have the best shot at those schools (though you'd probably fare a little better given your school & your unique URM status). If I were you though, I'd definitely think about throwing in some T14... what's to lose?

Bluebonnet

New

Post by Bluebonnet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:43 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:I don't think there's any harm in claiming Native American heritage. It sounds like you really do have a connection to it, and if you're interested in cultural heritage work, maybe you'd be interested in advocacy for Native American folks throughout the country? Definitely something I'm thinking about myself (no ancestral connection to Native folks) particularly given ongoing issues of marginalization and delegitimization in the U.S. That might be an interesting tie if you're interested in that.

That said, re: other schools to apply to you--you may want to consider places like Cornell, Duke, and Vanderbilt. Emory might also be a good school for you to apply to; just looking at this year alone, you'd have a fantastic shot of acceptance. Based on mylsn, it looks like you'd have the best shot at those schools (though you'd probably fare a little better given your school & your unique URM status). If I were you though, I'd definitely think about throwing in some T14... what's to lose?
Thank you. I am interested in cultural heritage law even though I realize there are few jobs in that arena and that few programs address it head on but I never put together the mexican american/native american heritage thing with my interest in cultural heritage and repatriation! Probably because most cultural heritage seems to focus on issues in europe. Its a good point you made and something i'll look into!

I'm definitely willing to apply far and wide. I applied early decision to college so I never got that experience!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 pm

One thing to bear in mind for Native American ancestry is that tribes actually have very particular rules about who "counts" as a member. If you're not an enrolled member of the Apache tribe, you may want to look in to what they think of you claiming to be part-Apache on something like this.

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Bluebonnet wrote:Hi all!

First time poster and applying for the 2018-2019 cycle (so in October most likely). My top choices are Columbia and UT (from Texas originally). I could be lured to California just need to do some more research. It would be great to get scholarship money but it's not absolutely a make or break.
I went to the number one liberal arts college in the country and graduated a few years ago. I also have a Masters degree and have worked full time in the field I majored in since graduating from college.

I took the December LSAT and got a 160, though I was PT'ing in the 165 range. Taking again in February just to see what happens.

I have strong Native American heritage from both South and North America (particularly Apache from south Texas). I'm not 100% confident claiming it since I was raised primarily identifying as Mexican-American but my family's foothold in Central Texas and in my hometown have certainly shaped me. Still thinking about what to do in terms of claiming any Native American heritage on my application and how I would talk about it in a Diversity Statement if at all.

Anywhere else I should consider applying? The ultimate goal would be to work as a general counsel for a cultural institution or government agency.

Thanks!

Bluebonnet
Fellow NA here. look into getting enrolled as I would be surprised if you did not qualify for tribal membership based on what you wrote. Enrollment should be all Law Schools need to consider you a NA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bluebonnet

New

Post by Bluebonnet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:One thing to bear in mind for Native American ancestry is that tribes actually have very particular rules about who "counts" as a member. If you're not an enrolled member of the Apache tribe, you may want to look in to what they think of you claiming to be part-Apache on something like this.
definitely true! I have looked generally into enrolling but I will need to do some research about which tribe specifically and then find my great grandmother or her ancestors on a roll call list, and produce documentation connecting her to me. For right now all I have is an pictures of my great grandmother, her name, and a DNA test I took and family oral history about her. From my mothers side I would be 1/8th Apache and and then there are the indigenous South American lines from my dad's side of the family. Anyway I know it's much more complicated than just bloodlines so I would want to talk to someone about whether they were comfortable with me claiming it since my family hasn't actively promoted Native American culture and we have identified as primarily Mexican American. It's all so confusing but maybe the fact that it seems confusing means I should just state MA. :?:

Bluebonnet

New

Post by Bluebonnet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Law School Native wrote:

Thanks!

Bluebonnet
Fellow NA here. look into getting enrolled as I would be surprised if you did not qualify for tribal membership based on what you wrote. Enrollment should be all Law Schools need to consider you a NA.

Hi! Thank you :) Are you saying in order to be qualified at one school as NA you'd need to be recognized by all schools? Was getting enrolled a difficult process? Just read your chance me thread! Good luck on your cycle! Curious to see how it goes since it seems like mine could go similarly next year.

Bluebonnet

New

Post by Bluebonnet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Law School Native wrote:

Thanks!

Bluebonnet
Hi Law School Native just got a notification I got a PM from you but I can't access it or send you one! Any way to summarize what it said? Sorry!

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Bluebonnet wrote:
Law School Native wrote:

Thanks!

Bluebonnet
Hi Law School Native just got a notification I got a PM from you but I can't access it or send you one! Any way to summarize what it said? Sorry!
It was some general information about getting enrolled.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bluebonnet

New

Post by Bluebonnet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Law School Native wrote:
Bluebonnet wrote:
Law School Native wrote:

Thanks!

Bluebonnet

cool thank you! I didn't realize you can't see or send PMs anymore. bummer.

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Bluebonnet wrote:
Law School Native wrote:
Bluebonnet wrote:
Law School Native wrote:

Thanks!

Bluebonnet

cool thank you! I didn't realize you can't see or send PMs anymore. bummer.
Yeah, it's really stupid. Try get enrolled though. https://www.doi.gov/tribes/enrollment

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”