172/2.6 USC Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mel_2011

New

172/2.6 USC

Post by mel_2011 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 pm

URM (AA)
172 LSAT (Blood, sweat and my soul)
2.6 GPA (went to small school in Maryland and worked my entire undergrad as a barback/bartender)
No extracurriculars
No work experience (excluding internship)

USC is my number 1 by far. I loved everything about that school, which is the sole reason why I took off for a year to study for the LSAT. I’m also applying to Loyola, UCLA and Chapman (Would be nice to know chances for those schools as well). I’m not applying to Southwestern. No offense to the school, but I feel as though my LSAT should be able to get me into somewhere higher ranked

Side note- there aren’t many schools to apply to Southern California specifically in the LA area :(

Thanks!!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Re: 172/2.6 USC

Post by jacketyellow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 am

mel_2011 wrote:URM (AA)
2.6 GPA (went to small school in Maryland and worked my entire undergrad as a barback/bartender)
No extracurriculars

USC is my number 1 by far. I loved everything about that school, which is the sole reason why I took off for a year to study for the LSAT. I’m also applying to Loyola, UCLA and Chapman (Would be nice to know chances for those schools as well). I’m not applying to Southwestern. No offense to the school, but I feel as though my LSAT should be able to get me into somewhere higher ranked

Side note- there aren’t many schools to apply to Southern California specifically in the LA area :(

Thanks!!
You're in rare territory as an AA URM with a 170+. I would apply to higher school than USC. I would apply to mid-T13 on down.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 am

jacketyellow wrote:
No extracurriculars

Thanks!!
You're in rare territory as an AA URM with a 170+. I would apply to higher school than USC. I would apply to mid-T13 on down.
+1. You're notoriously unpredictable, but you'd do well to apply broadly and see what options you have after your application cycle. You could easily end up with sticker at USC vs. T13 for a smallish scholarship. Or you could get a big scholarship at USC, UCLA, UCI, or a T13. When you're in the 1% of a coveted portion of the applicant pool, you want to roll as many dice as possible.

mel_2011

New

Post by mel_2011 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:17 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
No extracurriculars

Thanks!!

Really thinking about it. Didn’t plan on living in the Midwest or northeast, but I guess I’ll follow the funds. Thanks!

mel_2011

New

Post by mel_2011 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm

UVA2B wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
No extracurriculars

Thanks!!
+1. You're notoriously unpredictable, but you'd do well to apply broadly and see what options you have after your application cycle. You could easily end up with sticker at USC vs. T13 for a smallish scholarship. Or you could get a big scholarship at USC, UCLA, UCI, or a T13. When you're in the 1% of a coveted portion of the applicant pool, you want to roll as many dice as possible.

I think the unpredictability is what has made me so nervous about this whole process. After going up and down forums and searching the internet. I have yet to come across someone with lsat/gpa that is a URM AA male. Makes the process nerve wracking. But, after seeing the responses. I think I’m going to expand on where I apply. I would not go for sticker. USC is insanely expensive -_-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:28 pm

mel_2011 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
No extracurriculars

Thanks!!

I think the unpredictability is what has made me so nervous about this whole process. After going up and down forums and searching the internet. I have yet to come across someone with lsat/gpa that is a URM AA male. Makes the process nerve wracking. But, after seeing the responses. I think I’m going to expand on where I apply. I would not go for sticker. USC is insanely expensive -_-
Almost all law schools are insanely expensive. If you had some work experience, I'd definitely tell you to target Northwestern. I know AAs who had 150s on their LSATs get in there. And, I get it: the Northeast and Midwest have brutal winters, and UCLA and USC are good schools. Just try to maximize your offers and their accompanying scholarship offers.

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:09 pm

I'd seriously recommend getting 2 years of work experience under your belt - you're 172 will still be valid in two years, and it'll give you time to distance yourself from that 2.6, and you can apply absurdly early in a cycle.

As a 2.9 GPA AA Male myself, your post is inspiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”