. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:52 am

Last edited by kiklavan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSATuration

Bronze

Re: Columbia? 3.88/ 169

Post by LSATuration » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 pm

kiklavan wrote:Above average softs. Went complete in Jan.
Am I automatically out at Columbia? Also, is there a real difference between Columbia and NYU in regards to big law prospects, and am I likely in at NYU?
The best statistical tool I've seen for this puts you at about 1 in 5 chance for C and a coin flip for NYU. https://jscalc.io/calc/zt21YwP4hMpgFuoT

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Am I automatically out at Columbia? Also, is there a real difference between Columbia and NYU in regards to big law prospects, and am I likely in at NYU?
You wont get into either

Morpheus

New

Post by Morpheus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:51 pm

In at NYU, in at Columbia if you ED (too late I would think). Probably no $ at either.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:09 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
You wont get into either
Isn’t that kinda brutal? I’m at NYUs median LSAT and almost at their 75th for GPA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Morpheus wrote:In at NYU, in at Columbia if you ED (too late I would think). Probably no $ at either.
Thank you! It’s too late. I can’t decide if it’s worth delaying a cycle to ED to Columbia if I get dinged

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:11 pm

LSATuration wrote:
The best statistical tool I've seen for this puts you at about 1 in 5 chance for C and a coin flip for NYU. https://jscalc.io/calc/zt21YwP4hMpgFuoT
Thank you! That’s a great tool

J Eazy

New

Post by J Eazy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 pm

kiklavan wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
You wont get into either
Isn’t that kinda brutal? I’m at NYUs median LSAT and almost at their 75th for GPA
Seems like it. MyLSN shows out at Columbia and in at NYU. http://myLSN.info/x799l5_1-13.jpg

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 am

J Eazy wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
You wont get into either
Seems like it. MyLSN shows out at Columbia and in at NYU. http://myLSN.info/x799l5_1-13.jpg
Thanks :) that same info led me to conclude I had a reasonably good chance at NYU

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:54 pm

in at NYU, probably out at Columbia, but you'll be paying sticker at both. you'll get big money from the other T13s.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:17 pm

proteinshake wrote:in at NYU, probably out at Columbia, but you'll be paying sticker at both. you'll get big money from the other T13s.
Thank you!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:22 pm

kiklavan wrote:
Morpheus wrote:In at NYU, in at Columbia if you ED (too late I would think). Probably no $ at either.
Thank you! It’s too late. I can’t decide if it’s worth delaying a cycle to ED to Columbia if I get dinged
It would be much smarter to apply RD and apply to most of the lower T14. $$$ at MVPD is almost always a better option than Columbia at sticker.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
It would be much smarter to apply RD and apply to most of the lower T14. $$$ at MVPD is almost always a better option than Columbia at sticker.
agreed. OP, why are you so set on Columbia?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

01panm

New

Post by 01panm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:22 pm

kiklavan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
I really really want to live in New York and Columbia has always been my dream school. Also it’s considered a better school than NYU so I guess that I feel that I could justify Columbia at sticker vs NYU at sticker. But yeah honestly if I got into NYU I would probably just go
Given the differences in scholarship money you'll probably see, you could take lavish monthly trips to NYC and still come out ahead (not that you should do that necessarily).

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:35 pm

01panm wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
I really really want to live in New York and Columbia has always been my dream school. Also it’s considered a better school than NYU so I guess that I feel that I could justify Columbia at sticker vs NYU at sticker. But yeah honestly if I got into NYU I would probably just go
Given the differences in scholarship money you'll probably see, you could take lavish monthly trips to NYC and still come out ahead (not that you should do that necessarily).
Getting scholarship offers from the lower T13 schools will be so painful if NYU really gives me nothing. Is it impossible to use say a hefty scholarship at Mich to negotiate with them?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 pm

OP could see some money at NYU, but his best option will likely be something between 120 and 150k further down the t13

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 pm

kiklavan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
but do you have to be in NYC for law school? it's not like you'll have a ton of time to take advantage of the city anyway. if you go to a lower T13 with $$$, you can still spend your summers in NYC and definitely get a firm job there after graduation (while saving $200,000)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 am

kiklavan wrote:I really really want to live in New York and Columbia has always been my dream school. Also it’s considered a better school than NYU so I guess that I feel that I could justify Columbia at sticker vs NYU at sticker. But yeah honestly if I got into NYU I would probably just go
In addition to what was already said about not getting hung up on the idea of going to school in a particular location for three years, don't get hung up on a minor difference in a ranking system. NYU and Columbia are peer schools. Picking one over the other for any reason that doesn't involve money is a bad decision.

And as mentioned repeatedly on this thread, you're going to be much better off taking a bigger scholarship at a lower T13, which will get you to NYC for your career just as easily as Columbia or NYU will.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 am

If you want generic NYC Biglaw just go to the cheapest of UVA/Michigan/Duke/Cornell. As others have said you'll get to spend your summers in NYC while saving a boatload of money for the same/very similar outcome that you would get at Columbia/NYU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”