3.2 GPA/157 LSAT, What are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lilq20

New

3.2 GPA/157 LSAT, What are my chances?

Post by lilq20 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi everyone!

I am applying this cycle and am getting ready to hit the submit button. I am just waiting for my transcript to process. Anyways, I am graduating in May with a 3.2 GPA and a 157 LSAT on record. I was PT'ing in the low to mid 160s, but had a bad showing on test day in December and really shot myself in the foot. Anyways, I am not a URM. Have two years work experience, one year at a tech startup and another in a pharmaceutical sales role. The schools I am applying to are as follows:

UF
FSU
UM
Stetson
GW
SMU
Louisville
Oklahoma

I would like to stay in the state of Florida, so UF, FSU, and UM are my top choices. What are my chances?

icechicken

Bronze

Re: 3.2 GPA/157 LSAT, What are my chances?

Post by icechicken » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Probably out at Florida, FSU, GW, SMU;

OU is a tossup;

Probably in at Miami, Louisville and Stetson but those would be extremely foolish places to attend at anything short of a full-tuition scholarship (along with Oklahoma).

You really should retake the LSAT to hit your PT average, at least, which will give you a shot at Florida and maybe some scholarship money. Any outcome you'll get with your current numbers is objectively bad.
Last edited by icechicken on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm

don't submit. study for LSAT some more.

lilq20

New

Post by lilq20 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. I have one follow up question. I am currently registered for the June LSAT and was going to take this test regardless. I also was planning on submitting my applications still, and if I don't get admitted to the schools I feel comfortable attending then I would push it off and reapply next year. Is there any sort of negative effect on reapplying if I applied the previous year? I will say, I do have some significant external pressure helping out my application at both FSU and UF.
Last edited by lilq20 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:24 pm

lilq20 wrote:Thanks so much for the replies. I have one follow up question. I am currently registered for the June LSAT and was going to take this test regardless. I also was planning on submitting my applications still, and if I don't get admitted to the schools I feel comfortable attending then I would push it off and reapply next year. Is there any sort of negative effect on reapplying if I applied the previous year? I will say, I currently attend FSU undergrad and do have some significant external pressure helping out my application at both FSU and UF.
Nothing negative if you have a better LSAT to come with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Yeah, you should sit this cycle out and get that LSAT up before applying

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03 pm

lilq20 wrote: Is there any sort of negative effect on reapplying if I applied the previous year? I will say, I do have some significant external pressure helping out my application at both FSU and UF.
As someone that has re-applied at schools for a second cycle, it is my experience that having to overcome a rejection from a previous cycle is not ideal, and more difficult. The presumption from law schools is that if you were looked at closely the previous year and were denied, you are a presumptive reject the next time you apply. You now have to convince law schools admissions committees that something substantively has changed, and likely in a significant way. Many schools specifically ask you if you have applied the previous cycle and ask for the outcome. This is in the questions before they ever even see your PS, resume, letters of recommendation, etc. That should tell you that barring a numerical change, you may not even get looked at. I just filled out an application for UPenn that specifically makes an applicant state what has significantly changed, in 150 characters. That is zero space to convince someone to keep reading. You can overcome these presumptions. Its possible. Or you can avoid setting this presumption into play by waiting to apply when you know you are a competitive candidate, in which you are inherently in a better position with a clean slate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”