Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chiclawruby

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 am

Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby chiclawruby » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 am

I am an International student, and to be completely honest, my english is just not at the native level in terms of accent, pronunciation, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdaNgg2SUcs

This is video of me speaking english.

Do you guys think my non-native accent/pronunciation will somehow work against me if I want to be a lawyer?

I really want some honest answers. Thank you.

User avatar
DaydreamNation

Bronze
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby DaydreamNation » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 am

0L here, but you speak English better than a lot of native speakers! You have nothing to worry about in this regard.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 am

Done crying about the Ruby, are we?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:29 am

Accents are not an issue if you're fluent, and I can barely register yours anyway.

User avatar
DaydreamNation

Bronze
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby DaydreamNation » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 am

UVA2B wrote:Done crying about the Ruby, are we?

Rude!

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:51 am

UVA2B wrote:Done crying about the Ruby, are we?

Do you set a daily goal for how many times you'll act like a jackass or do you just play it by ear?

OP, your English is fine, I wouldn't worry!
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:55 am

DaydreamNation wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Done crying about the Ruby, are we?

Rude!

But not unfair.

(And OP, your English is excellent, you’re fine.)

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Done crying about the Ruby, are we?

Rude!

But not unfair.

Seemed pretty irrelevant to the question at hand to me.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 am

Kind of hard to know if the OP is serious or trolling based on the previous post, though. It was why I didn’t respond right away.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Kind of hard to know if the OP is serious or trolling based on the previous post, though. It was why I didn’t respond right away.


Wow, I wasn't trying to elicit that kind of reaction, but good job getting indignantly offended by a tongue in cheek joke about the OP's only other post, which was by itself ridiculous. I seriously doubt the person is real, which is why I wouldn't engage an otherwise perfectly valid question (although the video posted is a pretty clear example of perfectly fluent English that should never worry an ESL speaker).

If you're real OP, I'm sorry for making fun of your first ridiculous post. Your English is fine, and you shouldn't worry about it.

If my instincts are right, then I stand by making fun of your otherwise somewhat valid question.

(Probably no need to quote you Nony, but I think you're the only one who saw this the same way I did).

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 am

i thought it was funny.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Done crying about the Ruby, are we?

Do you set a daily goal for how many times you'll act like a jackass or do you just play it by ear?

OP, your English is fine, I wouldn't worry!


I totally skipped over the OP's post history, or I would have called it out as well. The post about Chicago was fucking idiotic, and if it's mean to point that out, oh fucking well.

User avatar
Br3v

Gold
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am

I wouldn't have even noticed that you're not a native speaker.

PanjandrumOfReason

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:35 am

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby PanjandrumOfReason » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 am

If I had just heard your voice without seeing your appearance, I may not have noticed your accent. But when I see that you are Asian, I feel like I can hear a definite accent. Maybe it's just suggestive perception. But don't worry. Prior to Trump, we were a country that embraced foreign cultures, and after Trump, it may no longer be beneficial to sound like an American.

Also, your grammar and pronunciation are perfect. Good luck!

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 am

UVA2B wrote:Done crying about the Ruby, are we?

I found this inappropriate. The more pressing question was whether his boner had subsided.

chiclawruby

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 am

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby chiclawruby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 am

PanjandrumOfReason wrote:If I had just heard your voice without seeing your appearance, I may not have noticed your accent. But when I see that you are Asian, I feel like I can hear a definite accent. Maybe it's just suggestive perception. But don't worry. Prior to Trump, we were a country that embraced foreign cultures, and after Trump, it may no longer be beneficial to sound like an American.

Also, your grammar and pronunciation are perfect. Good luck!


Even when people hear my voice without seeing my appearance, I think I definitely have an accent. At least I do not sound 100% like white native speaker. That's what im worried about. And we are not talking about professions like engineers, accountants, etc. We are talking about 'lawyer'.. which I think language skill is all that matters..

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 am

Dude, your English is excellent. I can’t say no one anywhere *ever* will have a problem with your very very minimal accent, but anyone who does is an asshole. And while there are lots of assholes in law, this particular kind of assholery is not going to be widespread (given how stone cold fluent you appear overall).

Also Panjandrum’s post is weird and slightly creepy. You have an accent or you don’t. Only hearing your accent when they see you’re Asian is kind of disturbing (as is the idea that you’re somehow less “American” with an accent or that Trump has managed to change American culture about this kind of thing).

chiclawruby

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 am

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby chiclawruby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Dude, your English is excellent. I can’t say no one anywhere *ever* will have a problem with your very very minimal accent, but anyone who does is an asshole. And while there are lots of assholes in law, this particular kind of assholery is not going to be widespread (given how stone cold fluent you appear overall).

Also Panjandrum’s post is weird and slightly creepy. You have an accent or you don’t. Only hearing your accent when they see you’re Asian is kind of disturbing (as is the idea that you’re somehow less “American” with an accent or that Trump has managed to change American culture about this kind of thing).


Thank you ! I will not worry about it!

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Is my English fluent enough to be a Lawyer?

Postby ms9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 am

Totally fine. Better than my neighbors.



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests