Is a 3.83 too low for a T14 full? (even with a 174 LSAT) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
genericapplicant2017

New

Is a 3.83 too low for a T14 full? (even with a 174 LSAT)

Post by genericapplicant2017 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for all of the replies
Last edited by genericapplicant2017 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Is a 3.83 too low for a T14 full? (even with a 174 LSAT)

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:12 pm

I think you have a decent shot at a full scholarship at NYU on down, but these things aren't totally predictable.

However, if you're fully committed to PI, you should be focusing on LRAPs in addition to scholarships. Even if you don't get a full ride to a school like Columbia or NYU (or one of HYS), the LRAPs at those schools are strong enough to basically count as an additional scholarship on the back end. If you're really concerned you'd miss out, then taking a year or two to get some work experience would help provide a boost to your applications, and it's a good idea anyway.

genericapplicant2017

New

Post by genericapplicant2017 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:24 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I think you have a decent shot at a full scholarship at NYU on down, but these things aren't totally predictable.

However, if you're fully committed to PI, you should be focusing on LRAPs in addition to scholarships. Even if you don't get a full ride to a school like Columbia or NYU (or one of HYS), the LRAPs at those schools are strong enough to basically count as an additional scholarship on the back end. If you're really concerned you'd miss out, then taking a year or two to get some work experience would help provide a boost to your applications, and it's a good idea anyway.
Thanks for the reply!

I definitely am taking LRAP into consideration (as I outlined near the end of the post -- probably easy to miss given my lengthy OP). However, even though HYSCCN have solid (and some fully endowed) LRAPs, I am a bit debt averse and would love the flexibility of graduating with minimal (less than total CoL) debt that would give me more career and financial options. I am taking a gap year and a half (could be 2.5 if I switch jobs for something more interesting) but obviously that won't alter my GPA.

Seems like schools outside the T6 only offer full tuition scholarships to candidates with 3.9+ GPAs (Dillards; Darrows; Mordecais; Levys) and 170+ LSATs. I realize that 174 is >75th at almost every T13, but my GPA is actually below median at alot of T13s (UVA; Penn; Berk; probably NU and NYU after this slightly more competitive cycle) so wouldn't that preclude me from a full scholarship at any of those schools?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I think you probably still have a shot, but like I said, these things aren't that predictable. A 174 LSAT is a pretty sweet find for the lower T13, so I think you could definitely get schools like Northwestern to offer close to full tuition for that.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I've got the same concern as you, but with a (slightly) lower GPA and (slightly) higher LSAT. It seems like schools are focusing their scholarship money on pushing GPAs up. LSN appears to show that a high LSAT and a 3.7x might have scored you a Darrow or Rubenstein or something 5 years ago, but now a higher GPA is needed. But really, 150k to Michigan or Virginia is a pretty amazing outcome. That 30-40k in tuition isn't too much when compared to your lifetime income.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 pm

genericapplicant2017 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I think you have a decent shot at a full scholarship at NYU on down, but these things aren't totally predictable.

Thanks for the reply!

I definitely am taking LRAP into consideration (as I outlined near the end of the post -- probably easy to miss given my lengthy OP). However, even though HYSCCN have solid (and some fully endowed) LRAPs, I am a bit debt averse and would love the flexibility of graduating with minimal (less than total CoL) debt that would give me more career and financial options. I am taking a gap year and a half (could be 2.5 if I switch jobs for something more interesting) but obviously that won't alter my GPA.

Seems like schools outside the T6 only offer full tuition scholarships to candidates with 3.9+ GPAs (Dillards; Darrows; Mordecais; Levys) and 170+ LSATs. I realize that 174 is >75th at almost every T13, but my GPA is actually below median at alot of T13s (UVA; Penn; Berk; probably NU and NYU after this slightly more competitive cycle) so wouldn't that preclude me from a full scholarship at any of those schools?
Your GPA is actually above median at Berkeley, and also Duke, Michigan, NU.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote: Also, thanks for the sympathy. I feel neurotic for being concerned about my options with really strong numbers, but I would love the opportunity to graduate from law school almost debt free. As great as 120k or 150k at a T13 would be, it still would require me to use LRAP (and the non-T6 LRAPs are totally reliant on PSLF which is a whole different issue), so a true full tuition scholarship would be amazing for my career goals
I feel ya! May the Dillard/Darrow/Mordecai gods smile upon us.

genericapplicant2017

New

Post by genericapplicant2017 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:49 pm

Just wanted to give this one bump to see if anyone with my numbers profile can speak from personal experience, or if anyone else has any input. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”