3.5, 155, LLB, LLM, MBA what are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
T.RGuyana

New

3.5, 155, LLB, LLM, MBA what are my chances?

Post by T.RGuyana » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:56 am

I just wrote the lsat and received 155 as my grade. I have a bachelors in law with a 3.5 GPA (UK uni) and a Master in law with a distinction (UK), scoring the highest in my class, I also have a Master in Business Admin (Australian uni).

I’m 22, female, International student from Guyana, South America, the second poorest country in the Caribbean, just above Haiti lol

What are my chances of getting into any of the t14 law schools?

Any insight will be helpful. Additionally , I plan on not retaking the Lsat. So please, no advice on retaking or what a higher score might earn me.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 3.5, 155, LLB, LLM, MBA what are my chances?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 am

0% chance at any t13. Need to retake that lsat. If you want a t13, you are going to have to retake.

Given that you want to attend a US law school for a JD, it appears you want to stay in the US while needing a visa. Usually the only jobs that will help with the sponsorship process are biglaw jobs. In order to maximize your chances at biglaw, you need to attend a t13. Given that you have legitimately 0% chance, you have two options:

1- Not attend a US law school that gives you any chance of getting a job that might help you stay (and that is still a risk)

or

2- Retake

It is really that simple.

Further, if you went to a UK undergrad, you wont have a GPA that will be reported, you will have a GPA category. What degree distinction did you get? 2:1? If so, then you will have an "above-average" classification with a 155. If thats the case, you wont get into probably any law school in the top 30-50 at a minimum.

alexeats

New

Post by alexeats » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:17 am

sparkytrainer wrote:0% chance at any t13. Need to retake that lsat. If you want a t13, you are going to have to retake.

Given that you want to attend a US law school for a JD, it appears you want to stay in the US while needing a visa. Usually the only jobs that will help with the sponsorship process are biglaw jobs. In order to maximize your chances at biglaw, you need to attend a t13. Given that you have legitimately 0% chance, you have two options:

1- Not attend a US law school that gives you any chance of getting a job that might help you stay (and that is still a risk)

or

2- Retake

Further, if you went to a UK undergrad, you wont have a GPA that will be reported, you will have a GPA category. What degree distinction did you get? 2:1? If so, then you will have an "above-average" classification with a 155. If thats the case, you wont get into probably any law school in the top 30-50 at a minimum.

I don’t think this is true^ I am a urm with a 160 and a 3.98 and schools love urms. I haven’t been rejected from the t13 and I’ve been accepted into 2 schools who are both sitting at number 8. Write the best essays you could ever imagine, get great letters of Rec and prepare to be waitlisted or denied but I would apply to All except 1-4 of t13. You’re international student, urm and a female. Just make your softs really good. You can totally do this. Punch your numbers into Lawschoolnumbers.com and make sure it’s under urm.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:20 am

alexeats wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:0% chance at any t13. Need to retake that lsat. If you want a t13, you are going to have to retake.

or

2- Retake

I don’t think this is true^ I am a urm with a 160 and a 3.98 and schools love urms. I haven’t been rejected from the t13 and I’ve been accepted into 2 schools who are both sitting at number 8. Write the best essays you could ever imagine, get great letters of Rec and prepare to be waitlisted or denied but I would apply to All except 1-4 of t13. You’re international student, urm and a female. Just make your softs really good. You can totally do this. Punch your numbers into Lawschoolnumbers.com and make sure it’s under urm.

Go away. First off, we dont know if OP is an URM. Even assuming OP is, you cannot compare a roughly 3.5 155 to you. Your GPA got you admissions that OP won't have any chance at.

I'm not being mean unnecessarily, just giving OP the truth. I have experience in international admissions so I am not just bullshitting. OP is in a totally different universe than you. An URM with a near perfect GPA has SIGNIFICANTLY different chances than OP here. So stop comparing literal apples and oranges.

Further, a 160 is approximately an 80th percentile score. A 155 is just above the 60th percentile. That is a HUGE difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”