Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
ColossusOfRhodes

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby ColossusOfRhodes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:37 pm

So like many I received my lsat score today and was wondering what your thoughts are on my chances for WUSTL of Vanderbilt
I would also like to apply to Notre Dame, Boston College, and Fordham
LSAT: 159
LSAC GPA: 3.55
I'm also a URM MA
Thanks

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5060
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:28 am

Probably an ok chance at admission, but not a very good chance at decent money.

But your school list is a bit scattered. What are your career goals, and where do you want to work?

User avatar
ColossusOfRhodes

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby ColossusOfRhodes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks for replying cav
My school list does appear to be scattered but that’s only because I’m lenient on location as well as job. I’m aiming and hoping for big law or clerkship but definitely isn’t a must. I am somewhat debt averse depending on the school and I would have to take out loans.
I’m from Texas and so I’m also throwing a Hail Mary to UT as well.
I have taken the lsat 3 times and have underperformed 8 to 10 points everytime. I honestly don’t wanna retake again cause I don’t believe my score will change.
I’m wondering what schools like WUSTL, Notre Dame, and Boston College are worth admittance with little scholarship?

icechicken

Bronze
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby icechicken » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm

ColossusOfRhodes wrote:I’m wondering what schools like WUSTL, Notre Dame, and Boston College are worth admittance with little scholarship?


None of them, IMO. You really shouldn't take on $280k in debt unless you have a solid chance at biglaw (or have some other way of managing that debt). WashU is the strongest of the three in terms of of biglaw placement and even there your biglaw chances are probably a little worse than a coin flip.

If you're consistently underperforming on the LSAT (e.g. you're getting high 160s in practice and high 150s for the actual test), change the way you practice. Just a few more points could drastically improve your prospects.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5060
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:51 pm

ColossusOfRhodes wrote:I’m aiming and hoping for big law or clerkship but definitely isn’t a must.


But what are you going to do when you don't get biglaw?

And no, none of these schools would be good without a substantial scholarship.

User avatar
ColossusOfRhodes

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby ColossusOfRhodes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:09 pm

icechicken wrote:
ColossusOfRhodes wrote:I’m wondering what schools like WUSTL, Notre Dame, and Boston College are worth admittance with little scholarship?


If you're consistently underperforming on the LSAT (e.g. you're getting high 160s in practice and high 150s for the actual test), change the way you practice. Just a few more points could drastically improve your prospects.


Thanks for your response icechicken
I studied for the LSAT a total of almost a year and half, averaged 166 and I could not get over 171. I believe everyone has a threshold and that is mine. I did change things up every time before each test and even dished out money to help with stress of actual test date, but my score didn't drastically change. For these reasons I am against sitting out this cycle.

User avatar
ColossusOfRhodes

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby ColossusOfRhodes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:22 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ColossusOfRhodes wrote:I’m aiming and hoping for big law or clerkship but definitely isn’t a must.


But what are you going to do when you don't get biglaw?

And no, none of these schools would be good without a substantial scholarship.


Thanks for answering cav
I would have do small firm, which I'm ok with, and yes I agree that would be a very probable worse case scenario to have to pay close to full tuition (I would never pay sticker for any school) and not land big law.
What would be a reasonable scholarship or tuition discount to apply to WUSTL, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Boston College or Fordham?
Would I have a better shot at admittance at UT than WUSTL or Vanderbilt?

BL2017

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby BL2017 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Just to give you an anecdote, I applied in a previous cycle with similar stats as yours (also MA) and was rejected/WL at all the schools you listed. I retook and got a mid 160s LSAT, applied in November, and got into ND/BC/WUSTL/UT. I got about 90K at ND, no money from Texas, and 9K (yes nine thousand total) at WUSTL. I still couldn't crack Vandy. You're going to have to retake to just get into these schools --let alone get any money from them.

User avatar
ColossusOfRhodes

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby ColossusOfRhodes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:49 pm

BL2017 wrote:Just to give you an anecdote, I applied in a previous cycle with similar stats as yours (also MA) and was rejected/WL at all the schools you listed. I retook and got a mid 160s LSAT, applied in November, and got into ND/BC/WUSTL/UT. I got about 90K at ND, no money from Texas, and 9K (yes nine thousand total) at WUSTL. I still couldn't crack Vandy. You're going to have to retake to just get into these schools --let alone get any money from them.


Thanks BL2017 for your comment even though It wasn't want I wanted to hear it is enlightening
If thats the case I'll still throw apps their way but won't get my hopes up for admittance and plan on applying at schools closer in my range

BL2017

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby BL2017 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:57 pm

ColossusOfRhodes wrote:
BL2017 wrote:Just to give you an anecdote, I applied in a previous cycle with similar stats as yours (also MA) and was rejected/WL at all the schools you listed. I retook and got a mid 160s LSAT, applied in November, and got into ND/BC/WUSTL/UT. I got about 90K at ND, no money from Texas, and 9K (yes nine thousand total) at WUSTL. I still couldn't crack Vandy. You're going to have to retake to just get into these schools --let alone get any money from them.


Thanks BL2017 for your comment even though It wasn't want I wanted to hear it is enlightening
If thats the case I'll still throw apps their way but won't get my hopes up for admittance and plan on applying at schools closer in my range


No problem! I was in your same position and applied anyway. It wasn't until I had all my offers in hand that I decided to sit out and retake. You say you're from Texas, why not aim for SMU/UH with $?

User avatar
ColossusOfRhodes

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby ColossusOfRhodes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:09 pm

BL2017 wrote:
ColossusOfRhodes wrote:
BL2017 wrote:Just to give you an anecdote, I applied in a previous cycle with similar stats as yours (also MA) and was rejected/WL at all the schools you listed. I retook and got a mid 160s LSAT, applied in November, and got into ND/BC/WUSTL/UT. I got about 90K at ND, no money from Texas, and 9K (yes nine thousand total) at WUSTL. I still couldn't crack Vandy. You're going to have to retake to just get into these schools --let alone get any money from them.


Thanks BL2017 for your comment even though It wasn't want I wanted to hear it is enlightening
If thats the case I'll still throw apps their way but won't get my hopes up for admittance and plan on applying at schools closer in my range


No problem! I was in your same position and applied anyway. It wasn't until I had all my offers in hand that I decided to sit out and retake. You say you're from Texas, why not aim for SMU/UH with $?


Ha Yeah I actually am
You mind me asking if you applied to them (don't know if you're from TX) your last cycle and if so what kind of assistance they offered?

BL2017

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby BL2017 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:21 pm

ColossusOfRhodes wrote:
BL2017 wrote:
ColossusOfRhodes wrote:
BL2017 wrote:Just to give you an anecdote, I applied in a previous cycle with similar stats as yours (also MA) and was rejected/WL at all the schools you listed. I retook and got a mid 160s LSAT, applied in November, and got into ND/BC/WUSTL/UT. I got about 90K at ND, no money from Texas, and 9K (yes nine thousand total) at WUSTL. I still couldn't crack Vandy. You're going to have to retake to just get into these schools --let alone get any money from them.


Thanks BL2017 for your comment even though It wasn't want I wanted to hear it is enlightening
If thats the case I'll still throw apps their way but won't get my hopes up for admittance and plan on applying at schools closer in my range


No problem! I was in your same position and applied anyway. It wasn't until I had all my offers in hand that I decided to sit out and retake. You say you're from Texas, why not aim for SMU/UH with $?


Ha Yeah I actually am
You mind me asking if you applied to them (don't know if you're from TX) your last cycle and if so what kind of assistance they offered?


I've never applied to them personally but LSN should give you a good indication. Another thing you may want to consider is applying to Midwest regionals with a nearly non-existent Latino population like Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota. You might get some decent money out of them if you're okay with staying in those states after graduation.

User avatar
ColossusOfRhodes

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: Chance at WUSTL or Vandy?

Postby ColossusOfRhodes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:36 pm

BL2017 wrote:
ColossusOfRhodes wrote:
BL2017 wrote:
ColossusOfRhodes wrote:
BL2017 wrote:Just to give you an anecdote, I applied in a previous cycle with similar stats as yours (also MA) and was rejected/WL at all the schools you listed. I retook and got a mid 160s LSAT, applied in November, and got into ND/BC/WUSTL/UT. I got about 90K at ND, no money from Texas, and 9K (yes nine thousand total) at WUSTL. I still couldn't crack Vandy. You're going to have to retake to just get into these schools --let alone get any money from them.


Thanks BL2017 for your comment even though It wasn't want I wanted to hear it is enlightening
If thats the case I'll still throw apps their way but won't get my hopes up for admittance and plan on applying at schools closer in my range


No problem! I was in your same position and applied anyway. It wasn't until I had all my offers in hand that I decided to sit out and retake. You say you're from Texas, why not aim for SMU/UH with $?


Ha Yeah I actually am
You mind me asking if you applied to them (don't know if you're from TX) your last cycle and if so what kind of assistance they offered?


I've never applied to them personally but LSN should give you a good indication. Another thing you may want to consider is applying to Midwest regionals with a nearly non-existent Latino population like Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota. You might get some decent money out of them if you're okay with staying in those states after graduation.


Thanks BL2017,
Yeah thats exactly what I'm doing, not Iowa per say but I am applying to Ohio St., Minn, Illinois, as well as some out in the southeast, Wash & Lee, Georgia, Emory
BTW congrats on your score increase and what appears to be a good cycle for you



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests