International student, 2.95 gpa, 179 LSAT, upward trend. NYU law possible? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
silverbrioche1

New

International student, 2.95 gpa, 179 LSAT, upward trend. NYU law possible?

Post by silverbrioche1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:10 pm

I have a BA in History from an Australian Uni with a GPA of 2.95, BUT I don't think our 4 point gpa converts directly to the American one. I had severe illness during my first year and failed nearly everything, but I have a 4.0 for my last two years (hence the upward trend). I also have an LSAT score of 179 (first attempt, studied full time for 4 months). I'm a recent grad, no work experience except an internship I undertook as part of my degree.
I have my heart set on NYU or Colombia for their international law programs. Do I have any chance with a well written addendum?

Rigo

Diamond

Re: International student, 2.95 gpa, 179 LSAT, upward trend. NYU law possible?

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Are Australian GPA's reported like American ones? (Asking the hive, not you)

I think you might just be in the clear, so yes, I think you have a great shot at NYU and ColUmbia. Blanket the T13 though. You're a strong applicant if that 2.95 isn't reported.

silverbrioche1

New

Post by silverbrioche1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 pm

gentle bump + I have a feeling the 2.95 will be reported :( I've also been told that international applicants are at a major disadvantage

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 pm

silverbrioche1 wrote:gentle bump + I have a feeling the 2.95 will be reported :( I've also been told that international applicants are at a major disadvantage
It's not whether you have a feeling or not, it's whether it is LSAC policy to calculate an LSAC GPA that is reported to the ABA. Schools may see your GPA, but if you don't have an LSAC calculated GPA, it does not count against their 25th/median/75th percentile numbers. Whether or not your GPA is reported to the ABA makes a big difference in your admission prospects.

If you call LSAC, they will tell you whether they calculate a reportable LSAC GPA from Australian transcripts.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Yeah it's a pretty easy thing to figure out. If it's not reported, you're good as gold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notimeforarcs

New

Post by notimeforarcs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:00 am

Hi.
Afaik international GPAs are converted to pretty generic grades - one of ‘superior’ / ‘above average’ / ‘average’ / ‘below average’ ...
I think they attempt to account for the scaling using this.
For example: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=162265

Congrats on your LSAT score, that’s amazing.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 am

Your chances depend totally on how your GPA gets classified. If its above average or lower, you are going to struggle more than you think in apps.

I do not know Australian degree classifications, but if they work like the UK, did you get a 2:2 or a 3rd?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”