What LSAT Do I need based on 3.33/3.77... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hordfest

New

What LSAT Do I need based on 3.33/3.77...

Post by Hordfest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello,

I'm currently a manager in regulatory compliance in the credit union industry.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.35 and my masters GPA was 3.77. Both were at Bowling Green State University.

What kind of LSAT score do you guys (and gals) think I would need with these numbers to get 100% or mostly funded at a T1 (Top 50) school? I'm not necessarily looking for T14, just wanted to get some thoughts regarding whether or not my GPA is crippling me, and if so, what sort of LSAT will I need to make up for that shortcoming.

Thanks.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: What LSAT Do I need based on 3.33/3.77...

Post by UVA2B » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:29 pm

A 180 never hurt anyone in maximizing scholarships.

Shoot for that, see where you land.

Hordfest

New

Post by Hordfest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:36 pm

UVA2B wrote:A 180 never hurt anyone in maximizing scholarships.

That's fair. I guess it would just be nice to have a benchmark against which I can compare myself as I work through practice tests to determine if my amount of study is below where I need to be, enough, or overkill.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Hordfest wrote:
UVA2B wrote:A 180 never hurt anyone in maximizing scholarships.

That's fair. I guess it would just be nice to have a benchmark against which I can compare myself as I work through practice tests to determine if my amount of study is below where I need to be, enough, or overkill.
http://mylsn.info

That's your best resource for determining scholarship expectations from any given school, even though it's entirely crowdsourced and prone to inaccuracy.

Your GPA isn't bad enough to shut you out from getting a full ride somewhere, but that shouldn't be your only concern. What type of practice do you want and in what area of law? Where do you want it to start?

Getting above a 170 is a good benchmark for setting yourself up for tuition discounts anywhere. Minimally set it there. But don't blindly follow the tuition discounts because something every 0L should remember: admission to a law school is not the goal. Setting yourself up for your ideal future practice in the market where you want to at least start should be the goal. If you stray from that, you're being led astray by the crowd-fueled hysteria of law school admissions, which can be a toxic haze if you're not careful.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Agree with the above advice. There's really no ceiling on how much increasing your LSAT will help you. Get that squared away first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 pm

UVA2B wrote: Getting above a 170 is a good benchmark for setting yourself up for tuition discounts anywhere. Minimally set it there. But don't blindly follow the tuition discounts because something every 0L should remember: admission to a law school is not the goal. Setting yourself up for your ideal future practice in the market where you want to at least start should be the goal. If you stray from that, you're being led astray by the crowd-fueled hysteria of law school admissions, which can be a toxic haze if you're not careful.
I feel like you need to write a sticky already on admissions and picking a school given how many times I've seen you give this advice.

Hordfest

New

Post by Hordfest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks everybody. You make great points. I checked out Law School Numbers, I think I have a better idea now regarding what I would need and naturally higher is better.

Unfortunately It appears that law schools care more about undergraduate than graduate GPA so it looks like that improvement isn't going to count for much either.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
UVA2B wrote: Getting above a 170 is a good benchmark for setting yourself up for tuition discounts anywhere. Minimally set it there. But don't blindly follow the tuition discounts because something every 0L should remember: admission to a law school is not the goal. Setting yourself up for your ideal future practice in the market where you want to at least start should be the goal. If you stray from that, you're being led astray by the crowd-fueled hysteria of law school admissions, which can be a toxic haze if you're not careful.
I feel like you need to write a sticky already on admissions and picking a school given how many times I've seen you give this advice.
Just wait until "Choosing a Law School" season. It's like Groundhog's Day around these parts.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

UVA2B wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
Just wait until "Choosing a Law School" season. It's like Groundhog's Day around these parts.
I believe it. Time to draft up a standard form

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”