3.6 GPA from top state school 173* unique background/story Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
slipaway

New

3.6 GPA from top state school 173* unique background/story

Post by slipaway » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:42 am

So I have a 3.6 gpa from a top state school (think UVA/UNC/UMICH level), I have yet to take the LSAT but my PTs are around the 165 level and I have about 2 months with a lot of free time to study for the FEB administration. I have no doubt I can score in the low 170s at the least, perhaps even break 175. I've also scored in the 96th Percentile on the GRE so even though the LSAT is admittedly harder I have the raw intelligence and will put in the hard work to get at least in the low 170s, goal of 175.

Background softs: I've served several years in the military as an officer with stellar evaluations in a very competitive career field (usually #1 or #2 out of 20-30) and I know I can get some stellar recs. I know that doesn't mean a whole lot for law schools but it might at least help me sell my story more effectively and proves I am a high-level performer in a highly competitive organization.

I also have a unique story in that I overcame a significant personal hardship that might not qualify as a "hook" exactly, but I think makes me a very unique applicant with an interesting story the ADCOMs haven't seen a hundred times or more. Willing to give more detail in a PM if anyone wants more info, but don't want to give away too much detail that would likely identify me personally.

So, I don't know. I know I'm not going to be competitive at HYS, probably won't even apply there, but will I have a shot at the next tier down (Chicago, Columbia, NYU)? Also any advice on which top schools are going to be more lenient on my not stellar GPA if I have a unique and compelling personal story? I know the fact that I'm applying late and doing the FEB administration of the test isn't a great look for me either.

Goal after LS is to work in the DOJ or some other type of public service. Not interested in corporate law if that matters.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 3.6 GPA from top state school 173* unique background/story

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 am

This literally means nothing until you have a real score.

If I had a penny for every person on this board who says "I'm practice testing X, dont worry I'll probably get even higher than that, what are my chances?" and comes back 99% of the time with a lower score than X, I would be a millionaire.

Get back to studying and stop worrying about chances. You are practice testing around 165, that no way guarantees anything close to 170 on the real tests. I know people who practice test in the mid 170s and get 150's on the real thing.

Come back when you have a score. Until then, you are just wasting time not studying.

slipaway

New

Post by slipaway » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:57 am

Did you read my post at all?

I'm taking the February administration which means that I have to apply to schools before I even sit the test, so determining which schools to target actually is an efficient use of my time since waiting until I get my score is literally not even an option.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 am

slipaway wrote:Did you read my post at all?

I'm taking the February administration which means that I have to apply to schools before I even sit the test, so determining which schools to target actually is an efficient use of my time since waiting until I get my score is literally not even an option.
I did, and THERE IS LITERALLY NO WAY TO KNOW WHERE YOU SHOULD TARGET.

You get a 165, you aren't getting into any t13s. If you get lower, you aren't getting into the top 20. If you get a 170, you might pull a low t13.

THERE IS LITERALLY NO WAY TO KNOW WHERE YOU SHOULD TARGET. YOU DON'T HAVE A SCORE.

Even predicting is stupid because its so unpredictable. Plus, you are at a real disadvantage applying with the feb test. A bunch of the t13 wont even take that test. So, you need to apply next cycle. I just searched a handful of schools you named. NYU doesn't take the Feb test. Harvard doesn't take the Feb test. You have to petition Columbia to take the Feb test in writing two months before the test. So yeah, this whole feb idea isn't gonna work out for you buddy.

This whole discussion is stupid because you clearly didn't read my first post successfully.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:19 am

The problem is that while your compelling softs will probably help you, the LSAT carries so much weight in your applications that it will determine where you're competitive. High LSAT + good softs doesn't mean you get into an entirely new tier of schools, just that you may get into a given school a little more easily or may be a bit more likely to get money from a given school. If you want to plan applications now, you will have to plan for a range on the LSAT because 1) you aren't scoring the 170s yet in prep and 2) scoring in the 170s in prep doesn't guarantee a score in the 170s in reality. Or plan for the 173 you intend to get, knowing that the applications may be moot if you don't get that score. Either way, you can still probably use mylsn.info to good effect, because, again, softs don't move the needle far enough to make the mylsn info irrelevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:20 am

slipaway wrote:Did you read my post at all?

No, you don't. In fact you shouldn't. Get a score before doing anything. If that means you apply next cycle then you apply next cycle.

It's crazy to start apps now, not have a score until March, and think your cycle is going to go well. Especially if you do end up with a 170+, you'll be looking at t14s, even with a high score why would you handicap yourself by applying so late in the cycle

Do yourself a favor and push your cycle
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:25 am

I want to emphasize the point that many t13s dont take the feb test. I made the point in my last post, but I will repeat it here.

OP named HYS and CCN. I looked at HCCN. Out of those 4, only Chicago takes the feb test. Harvard and NYU categorically wont accept it. Columbia needs written permission from the admissions department to take the score. I didn't look at Y or S. The point is made OP. You wont be able to use the 173 you magically think you will get even if you get it.

You will need to apply next cycle, so your whole post is moot.

slipaway

New

Post by slipaway » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:47 am

sparkytrainer wrote:I want to emphasize the point that many t13s dont take the feb test. I made the point in my last post, but I will repeat it here.

OP named HYS and CCN. I looked at HCCN. Out of those 4, only Chicago takes the feb test. Harvard and NYU categorically wont accept it. Columbia needs written permission from the admissions department to take the score. I didn't look at Y or S. The point is made OP. You wont be able to use the 173 you magically think you will get even if you get it.

I get it man, you didn't get the score you wanted so no one else will either.

Your point has been made.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 am

slipaway wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:I want to emphasize the point that many t13s dont take the feb test. I made the point in my last post, but I will repeat it here.

lol, that's a mature response. Have you read the LSAT threads here? You may well get that score, but you may not - and you can't predict that now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:51 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
slipaway wrote:

lol, that's a mature response. Have you read the LSAT threads here? You may well get that score, but you may not - and you can't predict that now.
Also, you can ask the mods. I have an above 170 lsat. I have no problem proving that to the mods if that makes you feel even better about being a douche. Just trying to be helpful. Go study.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:03 am

Lol this was a fun thread :lol:

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:30 am

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:02 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
slipaway wrote:

Also, you can ask the mods. I have an above 170 lsat. I have no problem proving that to the mods if that makes you feel even better about being a douche. Just trying to be helpful. Go study.
He's not lying. I've seen his score; this isn't sour grapes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:39 pm

OP, I'm sorry everyone else has been so unhelpful. Based on your post you should be targeting these schools. PTing around 165 means you'll ideally get a 163-167. 96th percentile (although I'm not sure how you calculated your GRE percentile) implies a 168 so I went a little crazy and ratcheted up the top end to reflect your apparent potential.

I'd throw a couple extra apps at your favorite reaches (maybe Berkeley since you're interested in PI?) and also maybe at some lower-ranked schools in your preferred region for scholarship negotiation purposes.

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:07 pm

You should wait a cycle and reapply. Consistent PT's in the 170's is where you want to be before the real thing- like, 5 in a row PT's above 170 before you sit for your test. Next cycle with a 170+ and your background you'd be in a really good position applying early. Get up to a 173 and Harvard is 100% within reach. A 170 probably gets your most of the lower T14 with some money.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Platopus wrote:
slipaway wrote: I get it man, you didn't get the score you wanted so no one else will either.

Lol. My last PT before the test was a 177 and I ended up with a 173 on the real thing. You are awfully confident having only scored in the 165 range. For reference, my diagnostic was a 160 and after about 3 weeks I was at 168. It then took 4 months to hit the 173-175 range constitently. Score 175+ on 5 or more tests in a row and then you can start day dreaming about that 173.
Like Plato, I scored a 173 after consistently testing well above that. The majority of my timed PTs were 177+, starting from a diagnostic of 171. And you know what? I'm happy to have a 173, especially after the RC on that September test.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjg243

New

Post by cjg243 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:39 am

Agree with what everyone has been saying. Focus on getting your LSAT up to 172+. Think about taking another year off and working in a field related to your interests. Applying in September is going to yield you better results than applying in February (if your target schools even accept a Feb LSAT) - both for admissions and scholarships.

But to add a data point for you, I went to one of the schools in your OP (not that it matters much for law school admissions), good WE, 3.6X, 174 and got in to all of CCN with decent money. Waitlisted at H and denied at YS.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 pm

wmbuff wrote:
Platopus wrote:
slipaway wrote: I get it man, you didn't get the score you wanted so no one else will either.

Lol. My last PT before the test was a 177 and I ended up with a 173 on the real thing. You are awfully confident having only scored in the 165 range. For reference, my diagnostic was a 160 and after about 3 weeks I was at 168. It then took 4 months to hit the 173-175 range constitently. Score 175+ on 5 or more tests in a row and then you can start day dreaming about that 173.
Like Plato, I scored a 173 after consistently testing well above that. The majority of my timed PTs were 177+, starting from a diagnostic of 171. And you know what? I'm happy to have a 173, especially after the RC on that September test.
I might be the anomaly here...I had a 165 in June (PTing then 165 consistently) and then after a bunch of drills but no full-length practice tests managed a 172 in September. So yeah, it generally doesn't go like that, but it CAN (to OP).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”