3.0 GPA/165 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LidaZMarZ

New

3.0 GPA/165 LSAT

Post by LidaZMarZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

What would my possible chances at different schools be given my numbers?(T1,2,3).
Undergrad hasn't been the best for me, currently a Junior 1st semester. I've estimated realistically that ill end up with a 3.0 by the end of my career here at UIC.(POLS/Econ). I've taken LSAT practice tests where I'm usually scoring in the 160-167 ranges. I have around a years time on my schedule to get everything done and turned in on time. I want to take a year off before Law school, if I can get in any, to work for my uncles law firm as a paralegal.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank You. :?:

cavalier1138

Re: 3.0 GPA/165 LSAT

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Slow your roll.

Taking at least a year off is a good idea. Come back when you have an actual LSAT and an actual GPA (as well as some general idea of where you want to go to law school).

LidaZMarZ

New

Post by LidaZMarZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:38 pm

I want to stay in the midwest, Chicago preferably, but I'm willing to relocate just to go to a school.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 pm

LidaZMarZ wrote:I want to stay in the midwest, Chicago preferably, but I'm willing to relocate just to go to a school.
But you can't relocate to most law schools "just for school." Outside of the T13, schools have much more regional job placement.

Stop thinking about this. You have two years to improve your GPA, and you have all the time in the world to take the LSAT. Focus on school, take some time to live and work a little, and come back in a few years when you're actually in a position to ask these questions.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:14 pm

LidaZMarZ wrote:What would my possible chances at different schools be given my numbers?(T1,2,3).
Undergrad hasn't been the best for me, currently a Junior 1st semester. I've estimated realistically that ill end up with a 3.0 by the end of my career here at UIC.(POLS/Econ). I've taken LSAT practice tests where I'm usually scoring in the 160-167 ranges. I have around a years time on my schedule to get everything done and turned in on time. I want to take a year off before Law school, if I can get in any, to work for my uncles law firm as a paralegal.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank You. :?:
You're super vague about your GPA - you'll "end up" at a 3.0? I'm guessing you have below a 3.0 currently. Is your estimate based on you getting straight As from here on out, or on more modest grades?

Either way, you should take a deep breath and focus in on kicking ass at school and aiming for straight As in every single class you take. Stop taking practice LSATs, stop researching law school, stop doing anything that takes away from you getting awesome undergrad grades. You can keep doing things that address any of your basic life needs (some socializing, food, work). Your LSAT prep will do you no good if it's undermining your ability to do well as a student.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LidaZMarZ

New

Post by LidaZMarZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

I have a 3.2right sorry about that. I'm getting the message to just focus on my current classes, but when do I need to start worrying about LS and that whole process?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Once you have the time to. Right now you don't. You gotta move that GPA up. Law school will not disappear if you're not enrolled right away after graduation, or even a year after graduation.

Once you're officially done with undergrad, diploma in hand, and have a job paying your bills, switch gears and start LSAT prep again. If that means it will be two years instead of one between undergrad in law school, that's fine. I took four and I wonder if I should have taken more.

Trust me. Once you're a 1L and you're 25+ and you encounter the K-JDs in your class, you will be shocked at how mentally unprepared some of them are for what they're embarking on. You'll be glad you waited and got your ducks in a row.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LidaZMarZ

New

Post by LidaZMarZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:59 pm

thank you for the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”