AA Female 3.38/165 - Applying in January Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GenevaWinston

New

AA Female 3.38/165 - Applying in January

Post by GenevaWinston » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 am

Hi,

What are my chances at a T-20 school? I have strong softs, and am applying ED at Georgetown. Thanks to a rough first semester, my GPA is obviously not the best. However, I' have averaged a 3.6 every semester since then.Retaking the LSAT in December.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Re: AA Female 3.38/165 - Applying in January

Post by jacketyellow » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 am

GenevaWinston wrote:Hi,

What are my chances at a T-20 school? I have strong softs, and am applying ED at Georgetown. Thanks to a rough first semester, my GPA is obviously not the best. However, I' have averaged a 3.6 every semester since then.Retaking the LSAT in December.
Your LSAT is very good for Georgetown territory, though your LSAT is also good for some of the more competitive law schools. You could even get into H, if your GPA was a little better. AAs with 163+ get into Harvard. True story.

I would not ED to Georgetown -- please do not do that. You'll be saddled with $300,000 worth of debt. I know that seems far off in the future, but one of my colleagues ED-ed to Georgetown 5 years ago, and can't even buy a house. He's stuck with apartment living and has to service all that debt with years of biglaw. You do not want to be in that situation. I would apply regular decision to Georgetown and all the other T14, except Y and S, and see which ones bite with money.

You may have limited choices because of the January app though. Apply in January and see what you get. If nothing more fruitful comes of it, I would wait a year and apply early. With that LSAT, and applying early, and being an AA female, you'll have your pick of the litter.

One more thing: I applied in January (with a much lower LSAT) and still got money to all DC area law schools and Northwestern. My GPA was very high, but I think your LSAT will do the trick. Shoot out apps to gauge where you stand, and then make your decision from there.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am

GenevaWinston wrote:Hi,

Don't ED. No need.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Yeah, don't apply ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”