Non-traditional applicant: LSAT 162 but no GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Blougram

New

Non-traditional applicant: LSAT 162 but no GPA

Post by Blougram » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 pm

I applied to the U of M binding early decisions program with the following:

LSAT: 162 (1 point below median for 2017);
No GPA, but BA and MA transcripts from European universities evaluated by LSAC as "superior / A level work";
Work experience as a writer and researcher in the non-profit/public interest sector. My research and writings have been cited by national news outlets (e.g. The Guardian, New York Times, Washington Post);
Personal statement detailing one of my research projects from initial planning to, well, shout-outs in New York Times editorials and successful public-interest litigation.
State resident and, as mentioned, early decisions applicant;
Non-traditional applicant (I'm 36, fairly recent immigrant to the US. I have a feeling that admissions are agnostic when it comes to this, though);
Excellent LOR from the general counsel I worked closely with (perhaps a moot point, I am sure everyone's LOR is great).

What do you people think of my chances? If I don't get in, I can re-apply to the regular pool, hopefully with a significantly higher LSAT as I have been PTing in the high 160s/low 170s. And speaking of which, if I get in but with no or little scholarship money, and significantly boost my LSAT in December, can I use that as leverage to renegotiate my scholarship?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: Non-traditional applicant: LSAT 162 but no GPA

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 pm

You really should not have applied binding ED. It completely ruins any leverage that you could have when negotiating scholarships. You really should not have even applied with a 162 when you were PTing in the high 160s and 170s.

Return to “What are my chances?”