Where should I be applying? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mmart207

Bronze

Where should I be applying?

Post by mmart207 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Last edited by mmart207 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Where should I be applying?

Post by Rigo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Where do you want to practice? Apply to regional schools that feed into that market for starters.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:04 pm

As of now, I really don't have a preference as to where I want to practice. I live in Chicago so I'm throwing apps to DePaul, Loyola, UChicago, Northwestern, and U of I.

maroco

New

Post by maroco » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Rigo wrote:Where do you want to practice? Apply to regional schools that feed into that market for starters.

Exactly...

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm

mmart207 wrote:As of now, I really don't have a preference as to where I want to practice. I live in Chicago so I'm throwing apps to DePaul, Loyola, UChicago, Northwestern, and U of I.
You say you don't have a preference, but have you really thought about it? You're committing to live and start off your career (and more) wherever you end up. It's at least worth playing around with some criteria about what makes a city/region appealing to you. Weather, sports teams, liberal/conservative, etc. There are also practical implications -- for example, I refused to apply anywhere where there weren't LGBTQ employment protections, because I would like to avoid being discriminated against, if possible. If there's some overarching concern like that in the back of your mind, bring it to the fore in deciding where you want to go.

Also, it's hard for us to give you advice if you have almost no criteria beyond your LSAT/GPA. You're making us do all the homework here. Give us something to work with.

Addendum: other criteria to consider is whether the kinds of jobs you're seeking are available in the city/region you're looking at, obviously. But I wanted to emphasize the other soft attributes of a place that bring you joy in those rare moments when you won't be working.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 pm

mcmand wrote:
mmart207 wrote:As of now, I really don't have a preference as to where I want to practice. I live in Chicago so I'm throwing apps to DePaul, Loyola, UChicago, Northwestern, and U of I.
You say you don't have a preference, but have you really thought about it? You're committing to live and start off your career (and more) wherever you end up. It's at least worth playing around with some criteria about what makes a city/region appealing to you. Weather, sports teams, liberal/conservative, etc. There are also practical implications -- for example, I refused to apply anywhere where there weren't LGBTQ employment protections, because I would like to avoid being discriminated against, if possible. If there's some overarching concern like that in the back of your mind, bring it to the fore in deciding where you want to go.

Also, it's hard for us to give you advice if you have almost no criteria beyond your LSAT/GPA. You're making us do all the homework here. Give us something to work with.

Addendum: other criteria to consider is whether the kinds of jobs you're seeking are available in the city/region you're looking at, obviously. But I wanted to emphasize the other soft attributes of a place that bring you joy in those rare moments when you won't be working.
I only gave my LSAT and GPA because people on these forums make it clear everyday that adcomms do not care about anything else besides that. As stated in my original post, I'm a URM K-JD applicant. My softs are nonexistent, just a part time job I've held for the past 3.5 years. Since you are someone who identifies with the LGBTQ community, I understand why that would be a concern for where you would want to live/practice. I do not consider myself to be anything besides part of the Latino community, so my only preference would be to live/practice somewhere where people are not blatantly racist. Given that racism occurs just about everywhere, I really do not have a preference. With that in mind, I'm looking for suggestions of schools I could attend that would not leave me stuck in that given region.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:42 pm

mmart207 wrote:I'm looking for suggestions of schools I could attend that would not leave me stuck in that given region.
That's the problem, though. Almost all schools will leave you stuck in their respective regions, and the handful that don't are out of reach given your LSAT.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

icechicken wrote:
mmart207 wrote:I'm looking for suggestions of schools I could attend that would not leave me stuck in that given region.
That's the problem, though. Almost all schools will leave you stuck in their respective regions, and the handful that don't are out of reach given your LSAT.
I wouldn't say they're out of my reach, if there's anything I've seen from URM cycles is that they can be unpredictable. The samples are anecdotal, but URMs have gotten into amazing schools with weaker numbers than mine. I believe my PS is unique and strong, as well as my LORs, which all play a larger role in URM applications than they do for others. I'm not saying I'm going to get into every school I apply to, but I definitely believe I will be a strong applicant. Which is why I'm just asking for some suggestions of where to apply. Specifically, strong schools outside of the T-14.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:58 pm

mmart207 wrote:
icechicken wrote:
I wouldn't say they're out of my reach, if there's anything I've seen from URM cycles is that they can be unpredictable. The samples are anecdotal, but URMs have gotten into amazing schools with weaker numbers than mine. I believe my PS is unique and strong, as well as my LORs, which all play a larger role in URM applications than they do for others. I'm not saying I'm going to get into every school I apply to, but I definitely believe I will be a strong applicant. Which is why I'm just asking for some suggestions of where to apply. Specifically, strong schools outside of the T-14.
Did you include AA data?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Rigo wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
icechicken wrote:
Did you include AA data?
I don't use those sites. I look at the URM cycle results threads on these forums, where people list specifically what type of URM they are.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:24 pm

mmart207 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
icechicken wrote:
Did you include AA data?
I don't use those sites. I look at the URM cycle results threads on these forums, where people list specifically what type of URM they are.
That's called "anecdata" (it's a joke). Your LSAT is most likely going to keep you out of the running for schools with national reach. Make sure you're really paying attention to which schools actually have reach outside their regions. Even within T20 schools, Vanderbilt isn't going to place very well on the West Coast, and UCLA isn't going to place very well in the South. T13 schools are some of the only places where you can be more flexible post-graduation.

The issue coming up now is that there's a difference between not having a strong regional preference and not wanting to get locked in to a region. If you don't have a strong regional preference, gun for a full scholarship at a state flagship school anywhere you want. But if you want regional flexibility, you aren't going to get it with your current stats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”