3.8 GPA / 161 LSAT chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
M. Yass

New

3.8 GPA / 161 LSAT chances?

Post by M. Yass » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:49 pm

I want to end up in big law, and have figured either BU or Duke will give me the best chance of getting there. I plan on working for a year after I finish undergrad (graduating this Spring) since I have something lined up that pays pretty well, but want to know what my chances are with a 161 LSAT. I hardly studied, so if a higher score is a must I think I could grind it out (logic games killed me). Will it help that I am on my school's student run investment fund or that I'll be working in banking or that I'm hispanic?

cavalier1138

Re: 3.8 GPA / 161 LSAT chances?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Ok, so a lot to unpack here.
M. Yass wrote:I want to end up in big law, and have figured either BU or Duke will give me the best chance of getting there.
I understand how Duke would make your list, but how the hell did BU end up as your top choice for biglaw placement? If your goal is biglaw, you should be T13-or-bust, which is completely reasonable with your GPA.
M. Yass wrote:I plan on working for a year after I finish undergrad (graduating this Spring) since I have something lined up that pays pretty well, but want to know what my chances are with a 161 LSAT.
Good. Take some time to work and study up for the LSAT. You have about a 0% chance of getting in to a school that gets you biglaw with your current numbers, unless you're a URM. Speaking of which...
M. Yass wrote:Will it help that I am on my school's student run investment fund or that I'll be working in banking or that I'm hispanic?
What kind of Hispanic?

M. Yass

New

Post by M. Yass » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Ok, so a lot to unpack here.
M. Yass wrote:I want to end up in big law, and have figured either BU or Duke will give me the best chance of getting there.
I understand how Duke would make your list, but how the hell did BU end up as your top choice for biglaw placement? If your goal is biglaw, you should be T13-or-bust, which is completely reasonable with your GPA.
M. Yass wrote:I plan on working for a year after I finish undergrad (graduating this Spring) since I have something lined up that pays pretty well, but want to know what my chances are with a 161 LSAT.
Good. Take some time to work and study up for the LSAT. You have about a 0% chance of getting in to a school that gets you biglaw with your current numbers, unless you're a URM. Speaking of which...
M. Yass wrote:Will it help that I am on my school's student run investment fund or that I'll be working in banking or that I'm hispanic?
What kind of Hispanic?
Cuban

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 pm

I believe Cubans do not get a boost (double-check in the URM forum if you want to be sure), so you absolutely should take some time to actually prepare for the test and retake.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Chances look bleak with a 161.

LG is the easiest section to improve on pretty rapidly.
Break out the 7sage videos and get drilling games.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bumblefly94

New

Post by Bumblefly94 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Post removed
Last edited by Bumblefly94 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Bumblefly94 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Ok, so a lot to unpack here.

This is wrong. Obviously, the higher ranked the school the better, but it also depends a lot on how well you do. If you go to Harvard and are 100th in your class and don't make law review, then firms may be more impressed by someone who is top 10% at BU and is on law review. I work at a firm that's is rightfully considered "big law" (top 20 Vault rankings), and our head of recruiting says they'll look at anyone who is at the top of their class. If you want to go do big law, then just do well at whatever school you end up at.
Quoting for you to look back on after law school and marvel at how ridiculous this post was.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jazzy24

New

Post by jazzy24 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:47 am

"T-13 or bust" is not exactly true. I know L3s from Fordham and Emory who were offered Associate jobs with top 5 Big Law Firms. I believe that Bumblefly94 has a point. If you are a top student at a non T-13 law school, you are not precluded from a job in Big Law. Obviously being a top student at a T13 is better, but people have different reasons for picking where they go to law school. So let's all be supportive of each other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 am

jazzy24 wrote:"T-13 or bust" is not exactly true. I know L3s from Fordham and Emory who were offered Associate jobs with top 5 Big Law Firms. I believe that Bumblefly94 has a point. If you are a top student at a non T-13 law school, you are not precluded from a job in Big Law. Obviously being a top student at a T13 is better, but people have different reasons for picking where they go to law school. So let's all be supportive of each other.
Advocating that people go to schools that are unlikely to help someone achieve their goals is not supportive. And yeah sure it's not T13 or bust for everyone and for some people taking a full ride at a regional school might make sense. But not for people with 3.8 GPAs like OP who could easily get big money at a T13 with a retake and also get a much easier path to their goal.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Can we quarantine all the dumbass "I know a 3L at John Marshall who..." stories in this thread?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”