. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Last edited by thatcandoromg on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: 3.94 158 any chances?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Retake and you could go to a top school for free.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Decent shot wherever you are above the 25th percentile. But you're not getting a scholarship at those schools. I'd aim "lower" if you plan to debt-finance your JD. Or retake.

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Retake and you could go to a top school for free.
Thanks!
Afraid it'd be too late to apply in January...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:07 pm

thatcandoromg wrote:
Thanks!
Higher LSAT in January beats 158 now.
Your apps will be held by the top schools anyways until after January. Might as well improve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Rigo wrote:
thatcandoromg wrote:
Thanks!
Higher LSAT in January beats 158 now.
Your apps will be held by the top schools anyways until after January. Might as well improve.
What if I send applications now and then update the December scores later? Would I be rejected outright even before I receive my score in January???

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm

thatcandoromg wrote: What if I send applications now and then update the December scores later? Would I be rejected outright even before I receive my score in January???
They'll probably hold you in a pile because of your GPA.
January is not too late though, especially since you're looking at a reject without a score improvement anyways. Or even worse: sneaking in but with no scholarship.

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Last edited by thatcandoromg on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:42 pm

thatcandoromg wrote:Jus got my December score, 164, 90% percentile.

With my gpa, what are my chances at Penn and Grown??? Should I ED? Thanks a lot!
Don't ED with your GPA. It might help your chances a little, but a few more points would give you great scholarship opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:59 pm

With my gpa, what are my chances at Penn and Grown??? Should I ED? Thanks a lot!
How are you funding your education and what are your career goals?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Decent chances at Georgetown. Middling chances at Penn. You should not ED.

Why are you focusing on those two schools?

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I focus on Gt and Penn because I want to be at East Coast, and it seems like I have decent shot on these two schools. ED to higher ranked schools might just waster this opportunity??

My parents helped me to pay tuition, so student loan is not a SUPER concern here.

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:46 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:

Don't ED with your GPA. It might help your chances a little, but a few more points would give you great scholarship opportunities.
I had a history of underperformance at standardized test. So I am afraid this 164 is the best I could do :( :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:56 pm

thatcandoromg wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I focus on Gt and Penn because I want to be at East Coast, and it seems like I have decent shot on these two schools. ED to higher ranked schools might just waster this opportunity??

My parents helped me to pay tuition, so student loan is not a SUPER concern here.
But there are literally a half-dozen other top schools on the East Coast, many of which are more likely for you than Penn. And as someone asked earlier, what are your career goals?

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:01 pm

thatcandoromg wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

I had a history of underperformance at standardized test. So I am afraid this 164 is the best I could do :( :(
What were you PTing leading up to December?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Last edited by sparkytrainer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:03 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
thatcandoromg wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

What were you PTing leading up to December?
Like 166-167..?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:04 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Let me tell you a story OP.

This story is about a close friend of mine. She had essentially identical numbers. She eventually went to GW with zero scholarship. Placed top 15% in her class. Didn't get biglaw. Didn't get any legal job until 3 months after graduation, and its a temporary fellowship. She currently makes 40k.

She owes something like 240k in loans. She will be paying that for the rest of her life.

Her biggest regret? Not retaking. With a GPA like that, you legitimately have a shot at HS and maybe Y. There literally isn't a school you couldnt go to. Guess what 12 more questions gets you on a stupid test? Say a 170. You are talking about Upenn for free. Duke for free. UVA for free. Harvard is a possibility.

Now seriously learn from my friend. Her life is objectively ruined. She will never get out of the shadow of her debt. All because she didn't want to retake a stupid test with a 3.9 GPA.

Don't be my friend. She will never be able to afford a family, buy a house, etc. Even with family help, you have no idea the pain. Retake.
But if I retake, I will stay out for a cycle.

thatcandoromg

New

Post by thatcandoromg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

But there are literally a half-dozen other top schools on the East Coast, many of which are more likely for you than Penn. And as someone asked earlier, what are your career goals?
Which law schools do you mean??

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:21 pm

thatcandoromg wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Let me tell you a story OP.

This story is about a close friend of mine. She had essentially identical numbers. She eventually went to GW with zero scholarship. Placed top 15% in her class. Didn't get biglaw. Didn't get any legal job until 3 months after graduation, and its a temporary fellowship. She currently makes 40k.

She owes something like 240k in loans. She will be paying that for the rest of her life.

Her biggest regret? Not retaking. With a GPA like that, you legitimately have a shot at HS and maybe Y. There literally isn't a school you couldnt go to. Guess what 12 more questions gets you on a stupid test? Say a 170. You are talking about Upenn for free. Duke for free. UVA for free. Harvard is a possibility.

Now seriously learn from my friend. Her life is objectively ruined. She will never get out of the shadow of her debt. All because she didn't want to retake a stupid test with a 3.9 GPA.

Don't be my friend. She will never be able to afford a family, buy a house, etc. Even with family help, you have no idea the pain. Retake.
But if I retake, I will stay out for a cycle.
Good! Gets you some more real experience. If its a matter of staying out of a cycle or ending up where she did, I know she would have taken the year.

OP, the only objective answer here for you is to not waste that GPA and sit out a cycle. Retake in feb, june, and sept if you need to. Keep taking it until you are at a t13 with your schooling being paid for.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:26 am

thatcandoromg wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Which law schools do you mean??
UVA and Cornell for starters, and you could throw an app to Michigan and Northwestern, because both those schools will get you back to the East Coast.

But since you refuse to give your career goals, no one can really give you any strategies for focusing your apps. I don't know why you keep ignoring the question, but it really is important.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”