167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

What to do?

Apply to all schools now, take the Feb LSAT for schollys and waitlists.
1
50%
Take the Dec test and have all/most of my apps delayed. Hope for increase.
1
50%
Apply only to schools under Duke/UVA, take Feb, and apply to Duke/UVA if I have an increase.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 2

User avatar
griffinz
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 am

167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Postby griffinz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 am

My 9/2017 LSAT was a 167. My LSAC GPA is a 3.74. I'm over a year out of undergrad.

I decided to apply to target/safe schools now:

(at least)
Cornell
UT
GULC
Emory
Notre Dame
GWU
William and Mary

I don't want to squander the admit bump from applying early at the top few on that list.

On the other hand, I'm very interested in Duke and UVA, but I'm two points below the median LSATs, and I'm slightly under the median GPA at UVA.

My ideal scenario is to apply to Duke and UVA relatively early (now) and hope for a super lucky admit or at least fall on the waitlist. Then, I'd like to take the LSAT again in Feb for 1) increased scholarships at the list above and 2) to get off the waitlist at Duke/UVA.

Two concerns:
1) I might get dinged at Duke/UVA if I apply now.
2) I might not increase in Feb. I scored at my average on the Sept. test, and that was with going -0 on LG, which doesn't happen often for me. I've also worked through all the materials, so I don't have much for fresh practice. Doesn't totally remove the possibility of improvement, but it makes it less likely than having fresh modern PTs.

Thoughts?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15925
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Postby Rigo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:11 am

Why not December?

User avatar
griffinz
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 am

Re: 167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Postby griffinz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:11 am

My only concern with December is that I’ll have to register by the middle of next week, and law schools are likely to put your app on hold if you’re registered for another test, losing any early advantage at some schools. Not out of the question though. Just looking for opinions.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 971
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: 167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Postby Mullens » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:38 am

griffinz wrote:My 9/2017 LSAT was a 167. My LSAC GPA is a 3.74. I'm over a year out of undergrad.

I decided to apply to target/safe schools now:

(at least)
Cornell
UT
GULC
Emory
Notre Dame
GWU
William and Mary

I don't want to squander the admit bump from applying early at the top few on that list.

On the other hand, I'm very interested in Duke and UVA, but I'm two points below the median LSATs, and I'm slightly under the median GPA at UVA.

My ideal scenario is to apply to Duke and UVA relatively early (now) and hope for a super lucky admit or at least fall on the waitlist. Then, I'd like to take the LSAT again in Feb for 1) increased scholarships at the list above and 2) to get off the waitlist at Duke/UVA.

Two concerns:
1) I might get dinged at Duke/UVA if I apply now.
2) I might not increase in Feb. I scored at my average on the Sept. test, and that was with going -0 on LG, which doesn't happen often for me. I've also worked through all the materials, so I don't have much for fresh practice. Doesn't totally remove the possibility of improvement, but it makes it less likely than having fresh modern PTs.

Thoughts?


1. You should retake in December. February is super late and will have an adverse impact on your cycle. If you're convinced you can't do December then you should delay for another cycle, retake in June, and apply early next cycle. The bump of a higher LSAT outweighs applying early.

2. The concept of safety schools is not how you should be thinking of law school. You should go to a school that gives you a strong chance to achieve your career goals at a reasonable price. Law school, as a professional school, is nothing more than a means to an end. You should consider schools based on their ability to achieve your desired end goal weighed against cost. The USNWR rankings are unhelpful in this regard.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4447
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:47 am

Just want to pile on the "no such thing as safety schools" train. That's how you think about college, not professional school.

User avatar
griffinz
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 am

Re: 167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Postby griffinz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:28 pm

To clarify, by "target/safety schools" I mean only in relation to my stats. If it's a safety school, then I feel confident in my chances for admission. If it's a target school, I'm competitive/at-or-around medians.

They are all on the list for a reason. Personally, they all have the potential to meet my goals depending on how scholarships fall on the back end of the cycle (I'm not a biglaw or bust guy), and in several cases above, I'd rather attend a T30 with $$$$ than T14 at-or-close to sticker. The few exceptions are those schools to which I'm applying primarily for scholarship neg purposes.

The purpose of this post is mostly for thoughts on application/retake strategy, related to my chances at each school. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15925
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 167/3.74 - apply now or wait?

Postby Rigo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 pm

I'd apply now and retake in December.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests