Chances at a full at Villanova? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
olemiss18

New

Chances at a full at Villanova?

Post by olemiss18 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:02 pm

I know Villanova has been fairly generous with full tuition scholarships in the last few years (for Google-able reasons). Something like 28% of students receive full tuition. My stats are LSAT 157* and GPA 3.99. Villanova used to have an LSAT floor of 158 for a full scholarship, but I emailed them and they have since removed that requirement. 157 is their median
and 3.7 is their 75th. Decent shot this cycle?

*Just in case you had a heart attack at my stats, I know, "retake". And I may well do that, but I want to see if I could get this full this year; if I can, I'd love to go to Villanova. If not, I may sit out a cycle and come back with a hopefully better score.

olemiss18

New

Re: Chances at a full at Villanova?

Post by olemiss18 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Oh, by the way, for what it's worth:

1. From Mississippi; I don't know if regional diversity is something they care about at all, but I can't imagine they have too many MS students.

2. Personal statement is about living and overcoming Tourette's Syndrome, a significant obstacle in my life

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:52 pm

olemiss18 wrote:Oh, by the way, for what it's worth:

1. From Mississippi; I don't know if regional diversity is something they care about at all, but I can't imagine they have too many MS students.

2. Personal statement is about living and overcoming Tourette's Syndrome, a significant obstacle in my life
1. It isn't.

2. That's probably fertile ground for a personal statement, but that's not going to have that much of an impact on your application.
olemiss18 wrote:...if I can, I'd love to go to Villanova.
Why?

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

1. It isn't.

2. That's probably fertile ground for a personal statement, but that's not going to have that much of an impact on your application.
Why?
Seems like a charming area and a charming respectable school. I'm not biglaw or bust, and I'm quite debt-averse in general. Feels like a win-win-win to me. Any reason to think otherwise? I know there are better schools.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:56 pm

olemiss18 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

1. It isn't.

Why?
Seems like a charming area and a charming respectable school. I'm not biglaw or bust, and I'm quite debt-averse in general. Feels like a win-win-win to me. Any reason to think otherwise? I know there are better schools.
Have you been to Villanova? There is a reason its referred to Villa-no-fun. I won't even get into the reasons why this is a bad idea, other than its not a charming nor respectable law school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:07 pm

You may get a full ride to Villanova. But you're an idiot if you waste a 3.99 on such a mediocre lsat score.

You know you should retake. Don't move to Pennsylvania just because you don't want to.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 pm

You mention you're from MS, but where do you want to practice? Your post history seems horribly misguided about how you approach this decision. Nova for free if you want to be a small firm or local government attorney in Philly isn't a bad deal at all. But if you want:

1. A different market, or
2. A big firm, or
3. other prestigious employment

it's just not a good choice. There are only a few full rides in the country that are resoundingly good in a vacuum, and Nova is not one of them.

You're focusing on the wrong things in making this decision. It's not about where you can get in and where you can get the scholarship you want (at least at the level of school you're looking at). You should be focused on where you want to practice and how you can maximize your opportunities there. If you wanted to be in MS, for instance, you should go to Ole Miss, while maybe applying to other strictly regionals like Alabama for negotiation (and this says nothing about retaking, which you clearly need to do to open up options that will open up every market to you for whatever you want to do).

Please don't be impervious to advice here, because people are telling you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. It literally doesn't matter to us whether you listen, but people take the time to give advice because you can optimize your options and your goals, but you aren't doing that yet.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Idk if I'd really call Villanova or the main line generally charming

URMSenator52

New

Post by URMSenator52 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Do,you want to practice in Philly?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:32 am

Oh my gosh. Folks, chill out a tad. Maybe? Just a tad? It's genuinely difficult to ask anything on TLS. I realize I asked a question about a non-Tier 1 school, but I thought maybe we could collectively move past that. I quantified for you guys that I am considering a retake (entirely for your own peace of mind, though that clearly didn't help). I'm not interested in biglaw and I never said anything about not wanting to practice in PA; in fact, since I am considering Villanova, maybe it's not too crazy that I am considering PA.

I genuinely don't mean to be rude in the slightest, but can one question not be asked and answered on its own merit without the barrage of "you're making terrible life decisions" posts being thrown out? It's not a question in search of a particular answer; I am completely open to fair evaluation, but I'd like it to be regarding the question I asked, which was about Villanova and my current stats comparatively. Just take a deep breath in and exhale once in a while, it's quite a nice feeling.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 am

olemiss18 wrote:Oh my gosh. Folks, chill out a tad. Maybe? Just a tad? It's genuinely difficult to ask anything on TLS. I realize I asked a question about a non-Tier 1 school, but I thought maybe we could collectively move past that. I quantified for you guys that I am considering a retake (entirely for your own peace of mind, though that clearly didn't help). I'm not interested in biglaw and I never said anything about not wanting to practice in PA; in fact, since I am considering Villanova, maybe it's not too crazy that I am considering PA.

I genuinely don't mean to be rude in the slightest, but can one question not be asked and answered on its own merit without the barrage of "you're making terrible life decisions" posts being thrown out? It's not a question in search of a particular answer; I am completely open to fair evaluation, but I'd like it to be regarding the question I asked, which was about Villanova and my current stats comparatively. Just take a deep breath in and exhale once in a while, it's quite a nice feeling.
1) you qualified, you did not quantify
2) okay. you have a chance at a full ride at villanova.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:46 am

olemiss18 wrote:Oh my gosh. Folks, chill out a tad. Maybe? Just a tad? It's genuinely difficult to ask anything on TLS. I realize I asked a question about a non-Tier 1 school, but I thought maybe we could collectively move past that. I quantified for you guys that I am considering a retake (entirely for your own peace of mind, though that clearly didn't help). I'm not interested in biglaw and I never said anything about not wanting to practice in PA; in fact, since I am considering Villanova, maybe it's not too crazy that I am considering PA.

Ok, but if you aren't interested in biglaw, what are you interested in? And since you specifically mentioned being from Mississippi in your initial posts, it's more than a little strange that you've picked a random mediocre school in Pennsylvania as your goal. It's also weird that you described it as "charming", because anyone who's been to that area would probably not choose that word (as seen in this thread). So you can understand why people might feel like you haven't spent enough time thinking about this.

Have you actually spent time in PA? What sort of work do you want to do there?

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:59 am

Okay, but what makes you think you want to practice and live in PA?

And enough with the "calm down guys it's just a question" stuff. This is the most important decision you'll make in your young professional life, and you need to be aware of what you're potentially getting yourself into. It's fairly obvious from your original post that you're considering attending Villanova if they offer you a full ride (and they probably will offer you), so there's nothing wrong with people advancing the narrative to give you an input on why you should or shouldn't go there.

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks for your responses. They're all deeply appreciated. I should probably elaborate that I'm far far far from making a decision on where to go to law school. My question could have been about 12 other schools I have on my list. It was Villanova this time because they have a unique scholarship situation right now and I have stats that are difficult for me to assess compared to it. So while I do think it'd be hard to turn down a full if offered, I don't want to make it seem like this is the only place I'm looking.

Ole Miss is my undergrad institution and I find it to be a really strong regional school, but I do not want to practice in this region. Also, the recent MS bar passage rates (Feb 2017) were some of the worst numbers in the country, if not the worst. It was in the 30% range. So I've been extensively looking at other locations (mostly the west, midwest, and mid-atlantic). Since my numbers for this cycle clearly shout regional school, I'm applying to schools in regions that I think I'd be comfortable living in for a prolonged period of time or perhaps forever. Coming from a town of 200 people in rural Mississippi, believe me, I am not picky on location. And I have traveled to and visited all of these regions into which I am looking, many of them in harsh winter weather, and I am fairly comfortable with them all. Forgive me if my oversimplification lead anyone to believe I hadn't been thoughtful about my decision-making. I just wanted to jump right to my question without bothering folks about what all I have considered over the last 2 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”