2.9 GPA 168 LSAT. What are my chances for T-14? Mexican URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
calmike

Bronze

2.9 GPA 168 LSAT. What are my chances for T-14? Mexican URM

Post by calmike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello,

I really really really want to go to a T-14. I am planning to retake LSAT in September but honestly I have not studied. What do you think are my chances?

Mexican URM
Gay
2.9 GPA
168 LSAT

I think I have a strong PS and resume. No strong softs.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Re: 2.9 GPA 168 LSAT. What are my chances for T-14? Mexican URM

Post by OakBrook2021 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:45 pm

There's not alot of data out there about URM splitters, but I'd be on the pessimistic side without a higher LSAT. I'm just a lowly 0L but a sub 3.0 seems like it's extremely hard to overcome for T14

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:13 pm

calmike wrote:Hello,

I really really really want to go to a T-14. I am planning to retake LSAT in September but honestly I have not studied. What do you think are my chances?

Mexican URM
Gay
2.9 GPA
168 LSAT

Do you have a good explanation for GPA?

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:21 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:There's not alot of data out there about URM splitters, but I'd be on the pessimistic side without a higher LSAT. I'm just a lowly 0L but a sub 3.0 seems like it's extremely hard to overcome for T14

That's how I feel too about my GPA and T-14 prospects. If T-14 is not possible, I'll be happy at my local state school with a big scholarship.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Shema wrote:

Mexican URM
Gay
2.9 GPA
168 LSAT

I've thought really hard about why i have a low GPA. I'm honestly maybe not a good student. I really tried in my classes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Aren't you concerned you won't do well in law school?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:24 pm

calmike wrote:
Shema wrote:

Mexican URM
Gay
2.9 GPA
168 LSAT

I've thought really hard about why i have a low GPA. I'm honestly maybe not a good student. I really tried in my classes
This is probably not something to mention in an addendum...

Honestly, you probably have a shot at some of the splitter-friendly T13 schools, but I doubt that anyone can give you really solid advice about what your cycle will look like.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
calmike wrote:
Shema wrote:

Mexican URM
Gay
2.9 GPA
168 LSAT

This is probably not something to mention in an addendum...

Honestly, you probably have a shot at some of the splitter-friendly T13 schools, but I doubt that anyone can give you really solid advice about what your cycle will look like.
haha of course. I won't mention it in my addendum but I am not sure what reason I can put in my addendum.

I could try to explain how my high school education did not train me enough for the rigors of a tough academic environment but due to recent work experiences and reevaluation of goals, I am determined to excel in law school and do anything possible to make sure I succeed academically in law school.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:Aren't you concerned you won't do well in law school?

Yes I am concerned.

I believe I am more mature now and would look for resources that will help me excel.;

I graduated college 4 years ago and I have more confidence now than I ever had before. I don't feel like a child that needs to be handheld. I know that I must go to office hours, do all my homework, study with others, and look to outside resources for help. I am not afraid to speak up anymore.

I am making a decision to go to law school and it is not something inevitable like going to college felt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:45 pm

calmike wrote:haha of course. I won't mention it in my addendum but I am not sure what reason I can put in my addendum.

I could try to explain how my high school education did not train me enough for the rigors of a tough academic environment but due to recent work experiences and reevaluation of goals, I am determined to excel in law school and do anything possible to make sure I succeed academically in law school.
I actually meant that you should not write an addendum based on what you've said.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:00 pm

calmike wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:Aren't you concerned you won't do well in law school?

Yes I am concerned.

I believe I am more mature now and would look for resources that will help me excel.;

I graduated college 4 years ago and I have more confidence now than I ever had before. I don't feel like a child that needs to be handheld. I know that I must go to office hours, do all my homework, study with others, and look to outside resources for help. I am not afraid to speak up anymore.

I am making a decision to go to law school and it is not something inevitable like going to college felt.
Confidence doesn't mean much in law school, given the curve. You could be the smartest person in your class and get median owned. You could be the hardest worker and not figure out law school exams and do poorly. Law school is nothing like undergrad, which is a literal cakewalk in comparison.

Also to answer the question on point originally: you aren't close to sniffing t13 unfortunately. Your GPA is awful and you dont have an lsat that will entice a t13 school. All things considered, I would study hard for the lsat, get a great 170s score, and then see where you could go for little to no debt, given the risk you are academically with your history.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:12 pm

sparkytrainer wrote: Also to answer the question on point originally: you aren't close to sniffing t13 unfortunately. Your GPA is awful and you dont have an lsat that will entice a t13 school. All things considered, I would study hard for the lsat, get a great 170s score, and then see where you could go for little to no debt, given the risk you are academically with your history.
But OP is a URM. I feel like that would put them in the running for a school like Northwestern or UVA, where a non-URM applicant would only need a few more points on the LSAT to be competitive.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:25 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote: Also to answer the question on point originally: you aren't close to sniffing t13 unfortunately. Your GPA is awful and you dont have an lsat that will entice a t13 school. All things considered, I would study hard for the lsat, get a great 170s score, and then see where you could go for little to no debt, given the risk you are academically with your history.
But OP is a URM. I feel like that would put them in the running for a school like Northwestern or UVA, where a non-URM applicant would only need a few more points on the LSAT to be competitive.
I understand OP is an URM, but would a non-URM get into UVA or NW with a 2.9 172? I would say not. I think if OP got a 172+, then OP is in much better shape. But without some compelling reason for the low gpa, which OP doesn't have, idk I just dont think OP is getting in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:23 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I understand OP is an URM, but would a non-URM get into UVA or NW with a 2.9 172? I would say not. I think if OP got a 172+, then OP is in much better shape. But without some compelling reason for the low gpa, which OP doesn't have, idk I just dont think OP is getting in.

Do you think I have a chance for Georgetown, UCLA, or USC?

At this pint, I'm just going to hope for a big scholarship at a local regional school. I'm in CA so I'm hoping for a scholarship at UC Davis or Irvine.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:30 am

Apply to the Top-20 schools and nowhere else. If nothing else, UCLA/UT/USC will admit you. But these guys are generally wrong. You will snag at least one T-14 if not more acceptances. Mexican URM's with your LSAT are hard to come by. You need to keep your debt levels low. If you are really concerned about debt, I would apply to a few more favorite schools like University of North Carolina and see if they throw a big chunk of cash yourway.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:09 am

. Sorry messed this one up - posted below
Last edited by eck456 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 am

calmike wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Do you think I have a chance for Georgetown, UCLA, or USC?

At this pint, I'm just going to hope for a big scholarship at a local regional school. I'm in CA so I'm hoping for a scholarship at UC Davis or Irvine.
Are you interested in public interest? If so I can see UCLA/ USC being interested and potentially throwing money your way? I personally might skip Georgetown if you're serious about avoiding debt but I also didn't love my experiences dealing w them in general so am probably biased. If you're CA and willing to do Davis I've seen it happen, but honestly I feel like job placement from there is tough and I would probably just really focus on raising my lsat and reapplying if it comes to that (note: I am very terrified about job placement stuff and less focused on debt, so read my advice knowing that bias)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:10 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Apply to the Top-20 schools and nowhere else. If nothing else, UCLA/UT/USC will admit you. But these guys are generally wrong. You will snag at least one T-14 if not more acceptances. Mexican URM's with your LSAT are hard to come by. You need to keep your debt levels low. If you are really concerned about debt, I would apply to a few more favorite schools like University of North Carolina and see if they throw a big chunk of cash yourway.
Thank you for the motivation. I will certainly apply to all T20 schools plus UC Davis and UC Irvine. I am really hopeful!!

Yes I am really debt averse and I do want to go to a school with good job placement. I am excited for my next chapter.

Marialsatprep

New

Post by Marialsatprep » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Mike- curious- where did u get in?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”