Chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
imtrynachillhere

New

Chances

Post by imtrynachillhere » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:45 am

Question was answered - thank you all!
Last edited by imtrynachillhere on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Chances at YSHCCN. 174/3.69 with Foreign Military Experience

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am

You are almost certainly in at Columbia and NYU, ok shot at Harvard and Chicago, not getting YS.

imtrynachillhere

New

Post by imtrynachillhere » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:52 am

Thank you for the response cavalier1138! :)

imtrynachillhere

New

Post by imtrynachillhere » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:21 am

Would it not be worth applying to YS then?

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 am

imtrynachillhere wrote:Would it not be worth applying to YS then?
definitively apply to YS. I disagree with cavalier, military service is a good soft and YS like unique applicants. If you can put together a convincing application it wouldn't be crazy if you got Stanford, but that doesn't mean you should expect to get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:51 am

cdotson2 wrote:
definitively apply to YS. I disagree with cavalier, military service is a good soft and YS like unique applicants. If you can put together a convincing application it wouldn't be crazy if you got Stanford, but that doesn't mean you should expect to get in.
YS also value high GPAs. Military service is a decent soft, but only once you have the numbers.

That said, OP should still throw an application at both. I just doubt they get in at either.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
YS also value high GPAs. Military service is a decent soft, but only once you have the numbers.

That said, OP should still throw an application at both. I just doubt they get in at either.
S accepted a 3.57 this year, and Y has definitely gone that low/lower for GPA. The odds are against acceptance, but it's definitely still worth throwing in an app. HYP + military service makes for quite a strong soft.

imtrynachillhere

New

Post by imtrynachillhere » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:27 am

Thank you everyone. From what I've gathered so far, I should apply to YS as well but not expect anything.

If I may add an additional question, my GPA from my freshman year to senior year is on a strong upward trend. There is almost a 0.4 point difference between my senior and freshman years. Would it be worth to add a GPA addendum? The only reason for the difference was that I took many upper level courses my freshman year to figure out my major and did not have the skills to succeed at that point.

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful responses.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 am

imtrynachillhere wrote:Thank you everyone. From what I've gathered so far, I should apply to YS as well but not expect anything.

If I may add an additional question, my GPA from my freshman year to senior year is on a strong upward trend. There is almost a 0.4 point difference between my senior and freshman years. Would it be worth to add a GPA addendum? The only reason for the difference was that I took many upper level courses my freshman year to figure out my major and did not have the skills to succeed at that point.

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful responses.
No, it's not worth an addendum. That's a pretty standard reason for grade fluctuation, and addenda are for more serious or unusual issues, like a death in the family, medical condition, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”