3 disclosures, not yet taken the LSAT, what are my chances of acceptance to any law school? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Charles22

New

3 disclosures, not yet taken the LSAT, what are my chances of acceptance to any law school?

Post by Charles22 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:04 am

I'm currently a senior, my first year I had a judicial council hearing for a roommate dispute. I paid a fine and was given a warning. My junior year I had an underage drinking charge, it was handled and I did my community service and it is in the process of being expunged. Also in my junior year I was caught cheating on a Spanish test, I pled guilty to the charge, accepted my sanctions of suspension held in abeyance ( not really suspended, just loss of social privileges) and probation until graduation. I have studied for the LSAT all summer and met with my advisor. My question is should I take the LSAT? Do I have any chances of being accepted into law school considering my disclosures, is it going to be difficult for me to pass the the character and fitness portion of the Bar exam? Basically is there a chance or am I just wasting my time?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: 3 disclosures, not yet taken the LSAT, what are my chances of acceptance to any law school?

Post by rpupkin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:40 am

Charles22 wrote:I'm currently a senior, my first year I had a judicial council hearing for a roommate dispute. I paid a fine and was given a warning. My junior year I had an underage drinking charge, it was handled and I did my community service and it is in the process of being expunged. Also in my junior year I was caught cheating on a Spanish test, I pled guilty to the charge, accepted my sanctions of suspension held in abeyance ( not really suspended, just loss of social privileges) and probation until graduation. I have studied for the LSAT all summer and met with my advisor. My question is should I take the LSAT? Do I have any chances of being accepted into law school considering my disclosures, is it going to be difficult for me to pass the the character and fitness portion of the Bar exam? Basically is there a chance or am I just wasting my time?
I thought you were going to be fine until I got to the bolded. Any academic-dishonesty finding is a big problem. The other two incidents aren't huge issues standing alone (though it depends a bit on what the "roommate dispute" was about), but they weigh you down further when combined with the cheating.

My opinion is that—even if you could get into law school—you shouldn't go right now. You need to work for a few years to separate yourself from your undergrad record (and, of course, to grow up a bit). But if you're dead set on trying to get into law school right after undergrad, then consult with a C&F attorney in the state in which you want to practice. A C&F attorney will have a good idea of whether getting into law school (and/or getting admitted to practice law in your state) is a realistic possibility for you. Good luck.

cavalier1138

Re: 3 disclosures, not yet taken the LSAT, what are my chances of acceptance to any law school?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:14 am

Yeah, the cheating offense is the red flag here. +1 for taking some time between now and applying to distance yourself from that.

Return to “What are my chances?”