Should I ED to NYU or Columbia? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ibay252

New

Should I ED to NYU or Columbia?

Post by Ibay252 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi all,

172 LSAT
3.2 GPA
AA female
First gen
Softs-not much other than some volunteer work outside the US

I'd love to work in New York after law school, but I'm open to the west coast as well. I'll be financing law school completely with loans, so money is an important factor for me.

I'm shooting for NYU or Columbia, but I've also had people advise me to ED for Northwestern.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

cavalier1138

Re: Should I ED to NYU or Columbia?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:57 pm

If you're going to apply ED, it should be to a school like Northwestern, because of the guaranteed scholarship. But that said, your GPA is going to take you out of the running for Northwestern, and given your openness in terms of regional opportunities, there's no real point in you applying ED at all. Just apply during the normal cycle.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:33 pm

You're a URM splitter financing law school completely through loans, so you really shouldn't be applying ED anywhere. URM cycles can be pretty unpredictable, but with your numbers you definitely have a shot at multiple T13 acceptances and some money. Why ED and lock yourself into financing $300,000 when you could be financing $200,000 or less through regular decision? As for practicing in New York, it's the biggest legal market in the country and the easiest to break into. You can get New York from any T13 school with median grades and sometimes significantly below. If you, however, apply ED, you're flushing the chance of money down the toilet at most schools and aren't increasing your odds at getting NY big law (or other NY work) by any meaningful amount.

There isn't much data out there for someone with your numbers, but myLSN shows that you could be eligible for some very big money. You should just blanket all the T13, except HYS.

Ibay252

New

Post by Ibay252 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Alright, I won't ED anywhere. I'll probably blanket T20 just to feel safe and leave out YLS and SLS. I still have some hope for HLS after reading some posts from other URM splitters.

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 am

don't apply ED.

your AA URM status will make your cycle unpredictable, and you may get a good offer from a top school. your lsat score is great, your GPA not so much, but just apply as regular applicant and see what happens, you may be surprised by your outcomes.

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:49 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If you're going to apply ED, it should be to a school like Northwestern, because of the guaranteed scholarship. But that said, your GPA is going to take you out of the running for Northwestern, and given your openness in terms of regional opportunities, there's no real point in you applying ED at all. Just apply during the normal cycle.
Just curious but what's the GPA floor for Northwestern ED?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:22 am

carmtastic wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:If you're going to apply ED, it should be to a school like Northwestern, because of the guaranteed scholarship. But that said, your GPA is going to take you out of the running for Northwestern, and given your openness in terms of regional opportunities, there's no real point in you applying ED at all. Just apply during the normal cycle.
I don't know if there's a hard GPA floor, but the common wisdom is that you have to be above both medians to be competitive for ED. You'll almost certainly get in during the regular cycle, but Northwestern's ED is reserved for people who they want to poach from higher ranked schools.

ED for law school isn't like ED for undergrad. It often doesn't increase your chances of getting in, and it's only useful if it comes with a guaranteed scholarship.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:18 pm

carmtastic wrote:
Probably ~3.3 (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Christinanc93)
This was a also URM candidate, but multiple people with 3.5 have been accepted ED at Northwestern the past few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”