178 LSAT/2.74 LSAC gpa/1 year valuable WE outside college Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawapplicant2017

New

178 LSAT/2.74 LSAC gpa/1 year valuable WE outside college

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Every once in a while you see individuals with a 2.7ish gpa/177+ LSAT ask what are my chances, and it looks like they can snag acceptances at Georgetown, Cornell, UVA, Michigan, and that's usually even if they don't have work experience and are still in college.

In my case when I apply, I will have . . . a 2.74 gpa/ 178 LSAT and one year of valuable work experience post college, in the business field.

So . . . given that I'll have 1 year of work experience separating me from college, the 2.74/178, would I have a chance at: Georgetown or UVA or Cornell or lower Top 14?

Platopus

Gold

Re: 178 LSAT/2.74 LSAC gpa/1 year valuable WE outside college

Post by Platopus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Yeah, your one year of WE isn't going to separate you from the pack. I think you can apply broadly, but I wouldn't be quite so optimistic about your admissions chances, even at splitter-friendly schools. You can hopefully pull UVA/Northwestern, but that's certainly not a guarantee. A sub-3.0 GPA is a big problem for top schools.

lawapplicant2017

New

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate your replies and taking time to answer the question I had.

If anyone has time, and wouldn't mind an additional question or two:

1. I looked around on Law School numbers and it seems when you see others with similar numbers, they don't have any information on their page in terms of their acceptances. What percentage of applicants log their info on LSN? 10 percent? So, if there is about 7-10 splitters with similar numbers this cycle, then there might be relatively more that don't use LSN?

2. I know there are no guarantees with a sub-3.0, but with the 2.74/178 LSAT/1 year of WE, and though it doesn't matter much (having an upward grade trend and great reason for the lower gpa), if I applied to UVA, NW, Georgetown, Michigan, Cornell, Upenn, what would you guess was the chance of my getting into one? (40 percent, 50?)

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:15 am

lawapplicant2017 wrote:Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate your replies and taking time to answer the question I had.

1. I looked around on Law School numbers and it seems when you see others with similar numbers, they don't have any information on their page in terms of their acceptances. What percentage of applicants log their info on LSN? 10 percent? So, if there is about 7-10 splitters with similar numbers this cycle, then there might be relatively more that don't use LSN?

2. I know there are no guarantees with a sub-3.0, but with the 2.74/178 LSAT/1 year of WE, and though it doesn't matter much (having an upward grade trend and great reason for the lower gpa), if I applied to UVA, NW, Georgetown, Michigan, Cornell, Upenn, what would you guess was the chance of my getting into one? (40 percent, 50?)
No one is going to be able to tell you with any sort of authority. Under 3.0 gpa really hurts your app. Unfortunately that is the way it is. You might get a few t13s to take a shot with you, but its also equally likely you dont get into a single one. It depends on your application and how badly a school needs a great lsat score. Regardless, you wont be getting much, if at all, scholarship money from any t13 that does accept you.

I imagine you will snag WUSTL and I think you probably can force them to give you a full ride. That might be your only good option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 am

lawapplicant2017 wrote:Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate your replies and taking time to answer the question I had.

you can forget penn, cornell, michigan.

you'd have a chance at NW if you had better/longer WE but as it is, i think NW chances are <10%.
Georgetown: <30%
UVA w/out ED: 0%
UVA w/ ED on 9/1: <20%

if you don't mind attending LS @ sticker and you're T-14 or bust, then your only option is to ED UVA 9/1 and if it doesn't workout, ED Georgetown.

TCR is WUSTL with full/near-full scholarship but i can understand why someone might want to go to T-14 @ sticker. just know what you're getting into if you go that route.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 am

sanzgo wrote:

you can forget penn, cornell, michigan.

you'd have a chance at NW if you had better/longer WE but as it is, i think NW chances are <10%.
Georgetown: <30%
UVA w/out ED: 0%
UVA w/ ED on 9/1: <20%

if you don't mind attending LS @ sticker and you're T-14 or bust, then your only option is to ED UVA 9/1 and if it doesn't workout, ED Georgetown.

TCR is WUSTL with full/near-full scholarship but i can understand why someone might want to go to T-14 @ sticker. just know what you're getting into if you go that route.
this just seems wrong

with a 2.74 and a 178 & WE, i'd put you at 80% for NW/Mich/UVA with small-moderate scholarship, maybe 30% at penn, 0% at cornell

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:15 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, your one year of WE isn't going to separate you from the pack. I think you can apply broadly, but I wouldn't be quite so optimistic about your admissions chances, even at splitter-friendly schools. You can hopefully pull UVA/Northwestern, but that's certainly not a guarantee. A sub-3.0 GPA is a big problem for top schools.

Ehh, depending on the major/prestige of school attended, I've seen it overcome.
i know a Princeton sub 3.0 with money at a T10 FWIW

We'd have to know this major and the clout of the school attended. Also why he got a sub 3.0 is also critical. If OP had to take care of ailing parents/emergency situation, I would imagine that would be worth something coupled with his/her fantastic score

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”