Chance Me for Columbia Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
corporatemandaorbust

New

Re: Chance Me for Columbia

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 am

Gordon_Cole wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:I'm going to retake. What is the maximum number of retakes I can do before next admissions cycle (Fall 2018)?
Why do you want to do law school with an MBA?
I only did the MBA to help me get into law school.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 am

corporatemandaorbust: This is one of those times when it is good to have a bit of perspective. You officially took the lsat when you were scoring around a 160 because I assume you were comfortable with the schools you could be accepted to with those numbers. You happened to score a 168 and now have schools available to you that were likely unthinkable mere months ago. You can get into nearly every school outside of the t-6 without retaking. You could likely get massive scholarships at schools like Northwestern with ED, Cornell, and Michigan. If you are applying for this cycle, it is best that you submit a flawless application as early as possible (early September if possible, especially if you will likely remain borderline for admission). You haven't demonstrated that you can score a 170+ (a 10 point increase from your practice tests and a few points higher than your "fluke" score) and that wont likely change in the next month or two and possibly much longer. Why do you have to be in New York for law school? You're honestly one of the few people I wouldn't recommend to retake. If I were you, I would try to get more insight from more posters. In your situation, unless NYC is a must, you already are sitting on a goldmine without doing much more work.
Last edited by Justtrying2help on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:07 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:I'm going to retake. What is the maximum number of retakes I can do before next admissions cycle (Fall 2018)?
This is bizarre.

Gordon_Cole

New

Post by Gordon_Cole » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 am

Justtrying2help wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
This is bizarre.
I don't want to cast aspersions, but, having read a few of your posts historically, I would not go to law school - at least until you think a little more about why you want to go. From what you've posted, your reasons seem superficial and un-directed - "I've always dreamt of being a lawyer or a doctor" and that it arises more out of frustration with your current career trajectory than anything. You also seem to be set on NYU or Columbia exclusively without much detail why as if this is an episode of Suits and you need to go to the right school in order to play the role of a successful lawyer because you like the idea of it. You have a huge amount of flexibility with your MBA, much more so that a law degree will ever give you, and I suspect once you find another venture that you enjoy, your dreams about law school will fade away. In line with this, I'd find a career mentor or someone you respect and candidly ask their advice on whether going into law seems like the right thing given your background. If they say no, which is what I suspect, I'd seriously reconsider. Given all this, I'd recommend looking to a business career pivot or even just moving to another firm. There's much more to gain and a lot less to lose.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 am

Justtrying2help wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
This is bizarre.
TLS in its infinite wisdom loves to make people feel stupid for their life decisions. If you're going to criticize the guy, at least try to offer some constructive feedback, e.g.:
Gordon_Cole wrote:I don't want to cast aspersions, but, having read a few of your posts historically, I would not go to law school - at least until you think a little more about why you want to go. From what you've posted, your reasons seem superficial and un-directed - "I've always dreamt of being a lawyer or a doctor" and that it arises more out of frustration with your current career trajectory than anything. You also seem to be set on NYU or Columbia exclusively without much detail why as if this is an episode of Suits and you need to go to the right school in order to play the role of a successful lawyer because you like the idea of it. You have a huge amount of flexibility with your MBA, much more so that a law degree will ever give you, and I suspect once you find another venture that you enjoy, your dreams about law school will fade away. In line with this, I'd find a career mentor or someone you respect and candidly ask their advice on whether going into law seems like the right thing given your background. If they say no, which is what I suspect, I'd seriously reconsider. Given all this, I'd recommend looking to a business career pivot. There's much more to gain and a lot less to lose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gordon_Cole

New

Post by Gordon_Cole » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:41 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
Justtrying2help wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
This is bizarre.
TLS in its infinite wisdom loves to make people feel stupid for their life decisions. If you're going to criticize the guy, at least try to offer some constructive feedback, e.g.:
Gordon_Cole wrote:I don't want to cast aspersions, but, having read a few of your posts historically, I would not go to law school - at least until you think a little more about why you want to go. From what you've posted, your reasons seem superficial and un-directed - "I've always dreamt of being a lawyer or a doctor" and that it arises more out of frustration with your current career trajectory than anything. You also seem to be set on NYU or Columbia exclusively without much detail why as if this is an episode of Suits and you need to go to the right school in order to play the role of a successful lawyer because you like the idea of it. You have a huge amount of flexibility with your MBA, much more so that a law degree will ever give you, and I suspect once you find another venture that you enjoy, your dreams about law school will fade away. In line with this, I'd find a career mentor or someone you respect and candidly ask their advice on whether going into law seems like the right thing given your background. If they say no, which is what I suspect, I'd seriously reconsider. Given all this, I'd recommend looking to a business career pivot. There's much more to gain and a lot less to lose.
I did "You have a huge amount of flexibility with your MBA, much more so that a law degree will ever give you, and I suspect once you find another venture that you enjoy, your dreams about law school will fade away. In line with this, I'd find a career mentor or someone you respect and candidly ask their advice on whether going into law seems like the right thing given your background. If they say no, which is what I suspect, I'd seriously reconsider. Given all this, I'd recommend looking to a business career pivot. There's much more to gain and a lot less to lose."

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:44 am

Gordon_Cole wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
Justtrying2help wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
This is bizarre.
I did "You have a huge amount of flexibility with your MBA, much more so that a law degree will ever give you, and I suspect once you find another venture that you enjoy, your dreams about law school will fade away. In line with this, I'd find a career mentor or someone you respect and candidly ask their advice on whether going into law seems like the right thing given your background. If they say no, which is what I suspect, I'd seriously reconsider. Given all this, I'd recommend looking to a business career pivot. There's much more to gain and a lot less to lose."
Yeah, I was offering your post as an example of helpful constructive feedback.

Gordon_Cole

New

Post by Gordon_Cole » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:46 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
Justtrying2help wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
This is bizarre.
Yeah, I was offering your post as an example of helpful constructive feedback.
Sorry, didn't see the "e.g." :D

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 am

Gordon_Cole wrote:
Justtrying2help wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
This is bizarre.
I don't want to cast aspersions, but, having read a few of your posts historically, I would not go to law school - at least until you think a little more about why you want to go. From what you've posted, your reasons seem superficial and un-directed - "I've always dreamt of being a lawyer or a doctor" and that it arises more out of frustration with your current career trajectory than anything. You also seem to be set on NYU or Columbia exclusively without much detail why as if this is an episode of Suits and you need to go to the right school in order to play the role of a successful lawyer because you like the idea of it. You have a huge amount of flexibility with your MBA, much more so that a law degree will ever give you, and I suspect once you find another venture that you enjoy, your dreams about law school will fade away. In line with this, I'd find a career mentor or someone you respect and candidly ask their advice on whether going into law seems like the right thing given your background. If they say no, which is what I suspect, I'd seriously reconsider. Given all this, I'd recommend looking to a business career pivot or even just moving to another firm. There's much more to gain and a lot less to lose.
I understand what you're saying, but personally have the opposite views. I believe law is a much more technical, and powerful background than just an "MBA".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
Justtrying2help wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:
This is bizarre.
I did also. Look at my other posts.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:10 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:I understand what you're saying, but personally have the opposite views. I believe law is a much more technical, and powerful background than just an "MBA".
Believe it all you want, it won't make it true. I guess this would be a good time to link this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=261392 . I'd advise reading as much of it as you can before making the leap, even if the OP deleted most of his posts.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:I understand what you're saying, but personally have the opposite views. I believe law is a much more technical, and powerful background than just an "MBA".
And you have attorneys/law students telling you that you're wrong.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
And you have business people saying that you guys are wrong. There are always people with views.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
And you have business people saying that you guys are wrong. There are always people with views.
You're going to do great in law school. Just shoot for the highest ranked school you can get, regardless of whether you have even the tiniest inkling of what you want to do with your $300,000 degree. No one has ever regretted making a similar decision.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 am

This forum is funny. I am assuming most people are on this forum to go to law school? It is amusing that everyone tries to talk everyone out of going yet are applying themselves. I wonder if this is all a ploy to lower the competitiveness of applicant pools for themselves.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:This forum is funny. I am assuming most people are on this forum to go to law school? It is amusing that everyone tries to talk everyone out of going yet are applying themselves. I wonder if this is all a ploy to lower the competitiveness of applicant pools for themselves.
Yeah, so when I mentioned that actual attorneys and students were the ones telling you that you were making a bad decision, I wasn't using the future tense. But I'm sure it's really a conspiracy.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:This forum is funny. I am assuming most people are on this forum to go to law school? It is amusing that everyone tries to talk everyone out of going yet are applying themselves. I wonder if this is all a ploy to lower the competitiveness of applicant pools for themselves.
Yeah, so when I mentioned that actual attorneys and students were the ones telling you that you were making a bad decision, I wasn't using the future tense. But I'm sure it's really a conspiracy.
Have you spoken to other people in careers? Most doctors tell you not to do that, most business people (unless they hit the jackpot) will say they wish they had a profession, etc. Everyone has their own woe is me story on whey they should have done something else

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:Have you spoken to other people in careers? Most doctors tell you not to do that, most business people (unless they hit the jackpot) will say they wish they had a profession, etc. Everyone has their own woe is me story on whey they should have done something else
No one is saying (well, no one in this thread) is saying that you shouldn't go to law school because it's a bad career in general. They're saying that you have specifically articulated bad reasons for wanting to go to law school.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:Have you spoken to other people in careers? Most doctors tell you not to do that, most business people (unless they hit the jackpot) will say they wish they had a profession, etc. Everyone has their own woe is me story on whey they should have done something else
No one is saying (well, no one in this thread) is saying that you shouldn't go to law school because it's a bad career in general. They're saying that you have specifically articulated bad reasons for wanting to go to law school.
What are your great reasons for wanting to go to law school?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:24 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Practicing in litigation and possibly ending up as a federal prosecutor. Why?

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Practicing in litigation and possibly ending up as a federal prosecutor. Why?
That's just saying what you want to do, not why. However, what makes your reasons better than mine?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:36 am

...that I have reasons beyond "I don't like my current job"?

Anyway, I'm bored, but not bored enough to engage you with this. Best of luck going to school for bad reasons.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:47 pm

I went to Columbia. It is a great school. But if you're currently working in financial services and only view law school as an investment, I really doubt that attending at sticker (even if you get in) would be wise.

I think this is probably a good justification for using my new calculator: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=280704

I don't know the particulars of your financial situation, but I suspect if plug in your numbers, you'll find that law school is probably not a good investment for you at sticker price.

Of course, if you really want to be a lawyer for nonfinancial reasons, then that's an entirely different calculus.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am

Where did you go to college?

168/3.8 from a peer institution (HYPSCCM) may get you a hard look considering your WE. Columbia (and Harvard) will sometimes be a tiny bit more flexible with applicants coming from similar UGs.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Where did you go to college?

168/3.8 from a peer institution (HYPSCCM) may get you a hard look considering your WE. Columbia (and Harvard) will sometimes be a tiny bit more flexible with applicants coming from similar UGs.
I did not go to a HYPSCCM, but a school a bit below it on the rankings (Top 20 USNEWS).

I would guess there would be no bump for Columbia for that, but what about at an NYU Law, where my school would be considered superior?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”