Chance Me for Columbia Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cjg243

New

Re: Chance Me for Columbia

Post by cjg243 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Have you already graduated from your MBA program? Where did you intern? What jobs are your peers getting?

If you really want to be a lawyer, then go for it. But I would think about other career options that you might enjoy that will be available to you from the (presumably expensive) top MBA that you already have. There are plenty of jobs where you can develop technical skills that you can get out of a top MBA program and not have to go an additional $300K in debt.

Also, can you explain what you meant by only doing a T15 MBA to get into law school? Did you do research on law school admissions prior to enrolling in your program? This is a very odd route. I've never met anyone in a top MBA program who cited law school admission as their post-MBA goal.

To answer your question directly though, you will likely perform exactly as your numbers suggest. Neither your MBA nor your semi-prestigious undergrad will have much of an effect on admissions (at Columbia, NYU, or any other top law school unless maybeeeee you are applying to your alma mater).

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm

cjg243 wrote:Have you already graduated from your MBA program? Where did you intern? What jobs are your peers getting?

If you really want to be a lawyer, then go for it. But I would think about other career options that you might enjoy that will be available to you from the (presumably expensive) top MBA that you already have. There are plenty of jobs where you can develop technical skills that you can get out of a top MBA program and not have to go an additional $300K in debt.

Also, can you explain what you meant by only doing a T15 MBA to get into law school? Did you do research on law school admissions prior to enrolling in your program? This is a very odd route. I've never met anyone in a top MBA program who cited law school admission as their post-MBA goal.

To answer your question directly though, you will likely perform exactly as your numbers suggest. Neither your MBA nor your semi-prestigious undergrad will have much of an effect on admissions (at Columbia, NYU, or any other top law school unless maybeeeee you are applying to your alma mater).
What if the MBA was at the same school as the law school?

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 pm

cjg243 wrote: There are plenty of jobs where you can develop technical skills that you can get out of a top MBA program and not have to go an additional $300K in debt.
Also, what are these jobs you are referring to?

Gordon_Cole

New

Post by Gordon_Cole » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:08 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
cjg243 wrote:Have you already graduated from your MBA program? Where did you intern? What jobs are your peers getting?

Which business school did you go to?

And in regard to the flexibility of the MBA, I know plenty of people who have gone from finance to management consulting to entrepreneurship to product development fairly easily. I doubt that you would not be able to do the same if you have good performance at your current position. Plus you would not be paying 300k plus opportunity cost for a degree. As to getting into Columbia, I'd say that you're just under the threshold. NYU would be doable though you'll have to articulate your desire to go to law school more effectively and cogently than you have done so far for us - to be candid.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Gordon_Cole wrote:

And in regard to the flexibility of the MBA, I know plenty of people who have gone from finance to management consulting to entrepreneurship to product development fairly easily. I doubt that you would not be able to do the same if you have good performance at your current position. Plus you would not be paying 300k plus opportunity cost for a degree. As to getting into Columbia, I'd say that you're just under the threshold. NYU would be doable though you'll have to articulate your desire to go to law school more effectively and cogently than you have done so far for us - to be candid.
So post after post the forum says only GPA and LSAT matter along with some softs, now all of a sudden you are saying my reason for going matters a lot. This forum is schizophrenic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gordon_Cole

New

Post by Gordon_Cole » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Gordon_Cole wrote:

So post after post the forum says only GPA and LSAT matter along with some softs, now all of a sudden you are saying my reason for going matters a lot. This forum is schizophrenic.
GPA and LSAT are probably the most important factors, but if you go into an NYU interview saying you want to do law school mostly because you like the idea of being a lawyer and are leaving business despite having an MBA for somewhat arcane reasons, the adcomms may think you're not serious, unlikely to be successful, and unlikely to give back to the school, and not grant you admission. Given your psychological profile, what's going to stop you from graduating from NYU and suddenly concluding that you want to be a doctor, or a psychologist, or something else like a zookeeper? There are plenty of people with good stats that significantly under-perform - see Stego's ordeal - for this reason.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Gordon_Cole wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:

GPA and LSAT are probably the most important factors, but if you go into an NYU interview saying you want to do law school mostly because you like the idea of being a lawyer and are leaving business despite having an MBA for somewhat arcane reasons, the adcomms may think you're not serious, unlikely to be successful, and unlikely to give back to the school, and not grant you admission. Given your psychological profile, what's going to stop you from graduating from NYU and suddenly concluding that you want to be a doctor, or a psychologist, or something else like a zookeeper? There are plenty of people with good stats that significantly under-perform - see Stego's ordeal - for this reason.
If some people UNDERPERFORM their numbers due to story/essay/interview, that means some OUTPERFORM their numbers due to story/essay/interview - which is still not even including work experience, undergrad institution, other degrees, connections, letters of rec, unique background/identifiers, etc. QED this forum is insane as they have been arguing for years that GPA and LSAT is ALL that matters.

cjg243

New

Post by cjg243 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm

People are asking you questions so that they can understand your situation better. If you answer them then you will get better advice.
corporatemandaorbust wrote:What if the MBA was at the same school as the law school?
Maybe? Who knows. No one on here is an adcom (or if they are they aren't telling). My guess is that if they were deciding between you and an identical candidate then they may give you the advantage because they think you will be more likely to attend, which will help their yield % they have to report to USNWR. But the effect of this is so minimal that the answer to this question shouldn't change your decision on whether or not to apply to the school, retake the LSAT, or anything else.
corporatemandaorbust wrote:Also, what are these jobs you are referring to?
You're the one that goes to a T15 business school (I'm guessing Stern?), so shouldn't you be familiar with the companies that recruit on campus and what positions they recruit for? The answer to this depends on your definition of 'technical'. There are plenty of technical jobs in finance. There are plenty of technical jobs in tech. Depending on your definition of technical, there are technical jobs in every industry. What do you want to do with your life? If you want to be a lawyer because you want to spend the rest of your career doing what lawyers do, then go to law school. If you want to be a lawyer because you want to do something technical, then explore the other options that are already available to you before you drop another $300K.
corporatemandaorbust wrote:So post after post the forum says only GPA and LSAT matter along with some softs, now all of a sudden you are saying my reason for going matters a lot. This forum is schizophrenic.
The reason that you want to go to law school is a soft. A soft is anything that is not a 'hard' statistic (GPA and LSAT). You can have a great GPA and LSAT but if the adcom thinks your actions won't reflect positively on the school, then they might not accept you. If the adcom thinks you might not pass the bar or get a legal job, then they might not accept you. LSAT and GPA are good predictors of success in the application process, but they obviously aren't the only element to the application. If they were, then there would be no need for an application at all beyond running your numbers through a computer program. That does not make this forum schizophrenic.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Oh my lord are we still going with this shit?

If you don't want to practice law, don't go to law school. It's really that simple.
corporatemandaorbust wrote:I would guess there would be no bump for Columbia for that, but what about at an NYU Law, where my school would be considered superior?
And QFP. Just marvelous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cjg243

New

Post by cjg243 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Gordon_Cole wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:

If some people UNDERPERFORM their numbers due to story/essay/interview, that means some OUTPERFORM their numbers due to story/essay/interview - which is still not even including work experience, undergrad institution, other degrees, connections, letters of rec, unique background/identifiers, etc. QED this forum is insane as they have been arguing for years that GPA and LSAT is ALL that matters.
Are you trying to get advice on your situation or are you trying to start a war on the TLS mindset?

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Gordon_Cole wrote:

I wish I had received an MBA before law school, FWIW.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:If some people UNDERPERFORM their numbers due to story/essay/interview, that means some OUTPERFORM their numbers due to story/essay/interview - which is still not even including work experience, undergrad institution, other degrees, connections, letters of rec, unique background/identifiers, etc. QED this forum is insane as they have been arguing for years that GPA and LSAT is ALL that matters.
First, people say that GPA and LSAT are by far the most important, not that nothing else plays any role. Second, the above isn't necessarily true - because softs can keep you out doesn't mean they can make up for not having the required numbers. Third, the reason for going doesn't matter for getting in, it matters for the advice people give you on this site. Finally, your school's reputation is what it is - it's not relative to the law school's reputation (and even if it were, there's no measurable difference between Columbia and NYU in this context).

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 pm

-
Last edited by corporatemandaorbust on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 pm

NotSkadden wrote:
Gordon_Cole wrote:

I wish I had received an MBA before law school, FWIW.
Why so?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”