Chances at full ride in the T14? Any named scholarships? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TinyRick

New

Chances at full ride in the T14? Any named scholarships?

Post by TinyRick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm a big fan of the idea of graduating law school close to debt free. HS are incredibly tempting, but I can't imagine myself accepting that amount of debt over an excellent school with a full ride. That's why I'm here to ask -- do I have a chance at a full ride in the T14? If so, which schools? And do I have a good chance at a named scholarship (Darrow, Dillard, etc).

Stats: 172/4.0

Decent softs, interned at a couple of places, part of a few clubs, did research at my school. Nothing too crazy. I'm part of a scholarship that is funded by a really famous law firm, so I'm hoping that name association will get me a tiny boost.

Asian so no URM boost there.

Thanks!

Sploshy

New

Re: Chances at full ride in the T14? Any named scholarships?

Post by Sploshy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:10 pm

I think its hard to predict where exactly you would get a full ride, but you would probably get either a full ride or something close to it at at least 1 school if you blanket the t13. Predicting an individual school could be hard because they apparently give full rides strategically and you can't really know what there strategy is because each cycle has unique applicants.

If you apply to all the t13 you will get good offers and be able to decide based off of them where you want to go. Make sure you get merit based waivers to keep down your application costs you have good enough scores that schools will want you to apply for free.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Excellent chances at a full ride in the lower T13. Decent chances of getting one of CCN to bite with a full ride.

However, HYS use a different system for calculating scholarships, which is entirely need-based. So if you think you might get a decent offer (e.g. parents aren't middle-to-upper-class), those aren't necessarily bad options. That said, I think CCN for free is always going to be better than HYS for all but the most unicorn-y of career goals, even with a bit of a need-based scholarship.

Sploshy

New

Post by Sploshy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:14 pm

assumed you already knew about HYS need based merit, but if you didn't then yeah HYS could be good options if your family has a low income. Under 65K = free and still have decent amounts of scholarships if the income is close to that

make sure you check up with the financial aid office or website don't take me word for it I'm just quoting what I've read which could be outdated.

TinyRick

New

Post by TinyRick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Excellent chances at a full ride in the lower T13. Decent chances of getting one of CCN to bite with a full ride.

However, HYS use a different system for calculating scholarships, which is entirely need-based. So if you think you might get a decent offer (e.g. parents aren't middle-to-upper-class), those aren't necessarily bad options. That said, I think CCN for free is always going to be better than HYS for all but the most unicorn-y of career goals, even with a bit of a need-based scholarship.
Thanks for the responses. My parents make ~90k combined so that's about starkly middle class (in NYC at least). I don't know how much that would get me at HYS, but I doubt it's even half, which is what I would have to get to really consider those schools over a full ride somewhere else. I completely agree with you. Having no debt is such a mentally freeing thing. I went to a lower ranked undergrad in order to minimize my debts and I am 100% thankful I did so.

Sploshy

New

Post by Sploshy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:17 pm

You can apply for free to HYS probably (with waivers with those scores) and they will give you the financial aid information once you fill out all of there financial aid apps.

I think 90k could result in a decent amount of aid, but not full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”