Are Canadian undergraduates applying to American law schools at an disadvantage? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Andrew66

New

Are Canadian undergraduates applying to American law schools at an disadvantage?

Post by Andrew66 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a Canadian HS student planning on pursuing my undergraduate degree in Canada. My dream is to practise American law and so I plan on applying to the T-14 law schools in the states thereafter.

The searches I have made in this forum have made me come to the conclusion that I wont be at a disadvantage. However, I have been told on a different forum that international applicants are placed into a different pool by admissions councils. The law school class profiles of USC Gould, Virginia, and UCLA also indicate very, very few Canadian undergraduates.

Also, do American law schools look at the reputations of Canadian UG institutions? The most frequent answer I have received is 'no'. But when I looked at the class profiles I previously mentioned, the only Canadian universities that appeared were the University of Toronto and McGill. Should I consider lesser know universities such as UBC, Western, McMasters, etc.?
Last edited by Andrew66 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tr5890

New

Re: Are Canadian undergraduates applying to American law schools at an disadvantage?

Post by tr5890 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Andrew66 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm a Canadian HS student planning on pursuing my undergraduate degree in Canada. My dream is to practise American law and so I plan on applying to the T-14 law schools in the states thereafter.

The searches I have made in this forum have made me come to the conclusion that I wont be at a disadvantage. However, I have been told on a different forum that international applicants are placed into a different pool by admissions councils. The law school class profiles of USC Gould, Virginia, and UCLA also indicate very, very few Canadian undergraduates.

Also, do American law schools look at the reputations of Canadian UG institutions? The most frequent answer I have received is 'no'. But when I looked at the class profiles I previously mentioned, the only Canadian universities that appeared were the University of Toronto and McGill.
Anecdotal, but I met at least six Canadian undergrads at HLS' admitted students weekend this year. But yes, they were all either from U Toronto or McGill.

TAD

Bronze

Re: Are Canadian undergraduates applying to American law schools at an disadvantage?

Post by TAD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Andrew66 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm a Canadian HS student planning on pursuing my undergraduate degree in Canada. My dream is to practise American law and so I plan on applying to the T-14 law schools in the states thereafter.

Also, do American law schools look at the reputations of Canadian UG institutions? The most frequent answer I have received is 'no'. But when I looked at the class profiles I previously mentioned, the only Canadian universities that appeared were the University of Toronto and McGill.
Pretty sure that even if it's true that International students are at a disadvantage, this may not be as true for Canadians because our GPAs are still numerically evaluated rather than on an average, above average, superior scale.

I'm guessing the reason you see so little Canadian undergraduates at those institutions is because typically, from what I've seen, many Canadians only find it worth leaving the country if they get into a t-14 (with Virginia being the only one in the list of schools you mentioned) and arguably, t-6.

Also, I think the reason you see U of T and McGill being overly represented among top American law schools is the same reason you see HYPS undergrads being overly represented among top American law schools, it may just be filled with individuals that are already more likely to do well on the LSAT regardless of which undergrad they went to. I went to neither undergrad (many non Canadians have probably not heard of my university) and did just fine. Also met a lot of people when I visited schools that did not go to either institutions (think U of A, UVIC, U of C, UBC) all going to a t-6.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:00 pm

USC and UCLA aren't T14 law schools.

The Canadians at my T14 that went to Canadian UGs went to UBC, Queens, U of T, Western Ontario, or McGill.

The visa situation could be very different in seven years so don't put all your bags in this basket. Get a marketable undergrad degree that will lead to reasonable employment because you might not want to go to law school or the path to being a US lawyer might be all but closed.

Canadians are looked at the same as US undergrads because they will have a GPA and LSAT score and those scores are what matter.

The primary reason for so few Canadians is probably because US law school costs over $300,000 at sticker price and Canadians aren't eligible for loans. Many of the Canadians in US law schools come from wealthy families.

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Mullens wrote:

The Canadians at my T14 that went to Canadian UGs went to UBC, Queens, U of T, Western Ontario, or McGill.

The visa situation could be very different in seven years so don't put all your bags in this basket. Get a marketable undergrad degree that will lead to reasonable employment because you might not want to go to law school or the path to being a US lawyer might be all but closed.

Canadians are looked at the same as US undergrads because they will have a GPA and LSAT score and those scores are what matter.

The primary reason for so few Canadians is probably because US law school costs over $300,000 at sticker price and Canadians aren't eligible for loans. Many of the Canadians in US law schools come from wealthy families.

OP, depends what you mean by "disadvantage." I'm Canadian and graduated from a T14 this year. Your GPA is evaluated just the same as American UG GPAs, unless you are from Quebec (if you're from Quebec, PM me). Because of Quebec's CEGEP system, grading is different. The reason McGill and UofT UGs are overrepresented is, in addition to those being the "top UGs" in Canada, so law schools are more familiar with them. But your UG really doesn't matter when compared to your numbers.

Cost of Attendance and federal loan ineligibility is one reason why fewer Canadians are found in US law schools, as was already pointed out. Other reasons include 1) Although eligible for Canadian student loans to study abroad, Canadian banks earmark a general maximum of 100K CAD for law school, which barely covers 1L. You either need to be wealthy or like me, lucky to have gone to a school that offered a scholarship; 2) American JDs are NOT recognized in Canada. You need to do 18 months worth of accreditation to practice in Canada with an American JD. So if you study law in the US, don't plan on going back home for a job right away. Ain't gonna happen; 3) Finally, it is not easy for a non-U.S. citizen to secure long term employment in the United States. F1 OPT lasts a year at most, after which you could theoretically get on a TN visa for 1-3 years at a time. That's assuming NAFTA isn't blown up. If, and it's a big if, your firm or employer sponsors your H1-B, then maybe you can gradually get your PR. If your employer doesn't want to sponsor you, short of marriage, you won't be able to stay and work long term.

I knew all of this going in and I'm still trying to make it here, but these are things to think about. McGill and UofT both offer JD programs that NY, MA and I believe CA recognize for bar admission. The JD is cheaper, the schools are reputed, and you can work both in the US and Canada as you please. Strategy might dictate you get your JD in Canada with little to no debt, and find your dream job in the US. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm

kkdk wrote:
Mullens wrote:

OP, depends what you mean by "disadvantage." I'm Canadian and graduated from a T14 this year. Your GPA is evaluated just the same as American UG GPAs, unless you are from Quebec (if you're from Quebec, PM me). Because of Quebec's CEGEP system, grading is different. The reason McGill and UofT UGs are overrepresented is, in addition to those being the "top UGs" in Canada, so law schools are more familiar with them. But your UG really doesn't matter when compared to your numbers.

Cost of Attendance and federal loan ineligibility is one reason why fewer Canadians are found in US law schools, as was already pointed out. Other reasons include 1) Although eligible for Canadian student loans to study abroad, Canadian banks earmark a general maximum of 100K CAD for law school, which barely covers 1L. You either need to be wealthy or like me, lucky to have gone to a school that offered a scholarship; 2) American JDs are NOT recognized in Canada. You need to do 18 months worth of accreditation to practice in Canada with an American JD. So if you study law in the US, don't plan on going back home for a job right away. Ain't gonna happen; 3) Finally, it is not easy for a non-U.S. citizen to secure long term employment in the United States. F1 OPT lasts a year at most, after which you could theoretically get on a TN visa for 1-3 years at a time. That's assuming NAFTA isn't blown up. If, and it's a big if, your firm or employer sponsors your H1-B, then maybe you can gradually get your PR. If your employer doesn't want to sponsor you, short of marriage, you won't be able to stay and work long term.

I knew all of this going in and I'm still trying to make it here, but these are things to think about. McGill and UofT both offer JD programs that NY, MA and I believe CA recognize for bar admission. The JD is cheaper, the schools are reputed, and you can work both in the US and Canada as you please. Strategy might dictate you get your JD in Canada with little to no debt, and find your dream job in the US. Good luck!
Only thing I would add to the bolded is this doesn't necessarily limit you. I'm with two different banks each giving me 100k. I would assume if I need more I could have gone to a third bank. So not suggesting paying sticker but you do not need to be wealthy or on a scholarship - but it is preferable.

Andrew66

New

Post by Andrew66 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 pm

I will address the issues of finances and Visas/work permits that have been brought up.

1. With regards to finances, I believe my parents are wealthy enough to cover for me.

2. My family is actually moving to States once I start my undergraduate, so if I decide to apply for American citizenship, will that help me to keep my job post-law?

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm

TAD wrote:
Only thing I would add to the bolded is this doesn't necessarily limit you. I'm with two different banks each giving me 100k. I would assume if I need more I could have gone to a third bank. So not suggesting paying sticker but you do not need to be wealthy or on a scholarship - but it is preferable.
Interesting, did not know you could do that. That would have helped me some when the CAD tanked after 1L...oh well.

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Andrew66 wrote:I will address the issues of finances and Visas/work permits that have been brought up.

1. With regards to finances, I believe my parents are wealthy enough to cover for me.

2. My family is actually moving to States once I start my undergraduate, so if I decide to apply for American citizenship, will that help me to keep my job post-law?

1. Great, glad you have that part covered.

2. Can't answer that for you tbh. If your folks are Canadians and have no status in the US, I'm not sure how you'd apply for citizenship that soon. Sounds like a question for an actual immigration attorney though, and most ppl on TLS will tell you to ask an attorney that sort of question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Parents moving in the U.S. after you are 18 won't boost your visa chances, but it can help establish your ties to a given region and help you get a legal job (ie the initial job offer).

Quite frankly, I'd got to Toronto Law or McGill (if you have the french) if you get in over any school besides HYS.

For now just work hard. Canadian UGs work you all right so best of luck!

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:33 pm

kkdk wrote:
TAD wrote:
Interesting, did not know you could do that. That would have helped me some when the CAD tanked after 1L...oh well.
Ya I got lucky. Don't think a lot of people know. At least I didn't either until the dude dealing with my loan at the first bank suggested it to me

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Andrew66 wrote:My dream is to practise American law and so I plan on applying to the T-14 law schools in the states thereafter.
Dream better.

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:02 pm

kkdk wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Also a Canadian applying for law school this cycle. Can I shoot you an email with some questions?

mtleaf

New

Post by mtleaf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:58 am

kkdk wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Im from Quebec can you PM me Im very concerned about CEGEP grading.

Im from Quebec can you PM me please, very worried about CEGEP grading

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”