. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:18 am

Last edited by PostNihilist on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sploshy

New

Re: 168 / 3.09 / 6+ Years Military Exp / Solid Softs

Post by Sploshy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am

can you get need based waivers to apply to schools (assuming no)?
assuming GI bill is paying for your education?

You could just RD to every school that you want to go to but if you are tight on money then I'm not sure what to do. I think its probably a good
investment for you to blanket t13 though.

If not then maybe you want to apply ED to UVA/Penn because those schools are known to have a bit of a boost. You won't get aid if you apply ED but if the GI bill is paying then that shouldn't be too much of a concern for you. The reason people apply to UVA ED first is because it gets back within 2 weeks usually and then you can still apply ED to Penn if you don't get into UVA. Then there's 2nd round ED so you could apply to NYU ED then if you don't get into Penn. Those 3 schools UVA/Penn/NYU supposedly have ED boosts. You could technically apply to UVA then NYU then Penn also if you want but it might be more risky because Penn is probably a better shot for you than NYU and I'm not sure if applying 2nd round ED would affect your admissions there. You should also probably put in RD apps after you get the UVA decision back because waiting for the Penn decision could take a while and you might lose the early application "boost" that some people say exists.

If you don't want to apply ED then you could apply to all of those schools you listed if you want RD. I think Columbia is a long shot, but all the others could be possible (you can still apply to Columbia its not that much money and you could get lucky). You should get admission to one of those schools imo, but maybe I'm wrong try to get other opinions. Make sure you put URM on your app for transgender and if you are a minority put that too (both those things give boosts as well).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:21 am

I think Columbia/NYU/Penn are all a bit of a reach, even with your military service.

With your GPA, none of the T13 are a sure bet, and I wouldn't be picky about things like school location (by the way, if you think you'll be fine in Ann Arbor, you'll survive Charlottesville). Splitters can't afford to apply narrowly.

jlittletree

New

Post by jlittletree » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 am

I happen to know the application results of several "T''s" in the LGBT at these schools. You'd think it would be a plus, but any bump/outperforming your numbers will likely be tiny. There is a more documented vet boost so I wouldn't give up hope entirely, but agree with above posters that Columbia and NYU are major reaches and that it might be worth adding UVA into the mix as they are kind to splitters.

Honestly, with an interesting and successful post-grad background like yours, you're being held back by your numbers. Have you considered a)retaking the LSAT or b) trying to get retroactive withdrawals from any classes you failed/did extremely poorly in?

m052310

New

Post by m052310 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:27 pm

I pulled of GULC with 168/2.9, 4.0 in an MA, and 11ish years Naval Officer. Baring bad recs or PS, I would like your odds there. Can't speak to the LGBT side. Was waitlisted at UVA after EDing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:37 pm

You might want to drop in at the veterans thread as some regulars their may have some insights.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=170257

JoshLyman13

New

Post by JoshLyman13 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Your background sounds interesting and should make for a compelling PS. However, for these schools you really need to have either an LSAT/GPA that helps their medians or URM status to be in the running. I'm assuming you're not a URM so you'll need an LSAT that is median or higher.

With a 168, that takes Columbia, NYU and Penn off the table. Cornell didn't really take low GPAs this cycle. Despite being above median, I'd say you're likely out there. Northwestern, Michigan, Georgetown and UCLA are possibilities, though you'll need to put together an excellent app to distinguish yourself from the rest of the low GPA/median LSAT applicants they get.

You might want to retake the LSAT, a 169+ would put you in the running at Penn and UVA.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Re: .

Post by PostNihilist » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 am

Last edited by PostNihilist on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sploshy

New

Post by Sploshy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Not sure if others know better than me but I think UVA is the only school with a 2 week guaranteed turnaround on ED.

So you should do UVA then Penn/NYU then Penn/NYU ( there is 1st and 2nd round binding ED now).

If you don't like UVA then you could do Penn/NYU then Penn/NYU then UVA. Not sure what the chances would be with UVA if you apply march with ED but it is apparently possible to apply ED up until March 12th.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Last edited by PostNihilist on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:00 pm

PostNihilist wrote:Unfortunately, Virginia is tough for transgender health insurance...
That's something I hadn't thought about. And UVA does basically force you to become a resident after 1L for tuition purposes, so that would be an issue.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:22 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”