super extreme splitter... with lsac gpa. chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gitgudatlaw

New

super extreme splitter... with lsac gpa. chances?

Post by gitgudatlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:32 pm

I had an earlier thread asking for my chances at a t14 or t20 school. (really want to go to university of texas law) however I stated my undergrad transcript gpa instead of a lsac gpa.

I think I calculated it correctly. My transcript gpa is 2.46 however I really fooled around and have a lot of grade replacements along with straight Fs that I took because I was a shitty irresponsible student. With that being said and including the original grades apparently my lsac gpa is like 2.01. What sucks is I took spanish a few times and it was a five hour class so having an F in that class really killed my lsac gpa even though I grade replaced it. I'm all of a sudden feeling like I just fucked myself big time.

so transcript gpa: 2.46
**LSAC GPA**: 2.01 (I think)
LSAT: 177

I really thought I had a shot but now I don't even know what to think. The LSAC gpa is so freaking low. Do I even have a shot anymore to any good schools? I just graduated in May and wont attend law school till Fall 2018. I will be working till then.

Wipfelder

Silver

Re: super extreme splitter... with lsac gpa. chances?

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm

gitgudatlaw wrote:Do I even have a shot anymore to any good schools?
I know people in your GPA/LSAT range who have had success in the T20 and up range. It is all goal dependent, and its such an unusual situation that I'd say "apply broadly and hope". But the people in those ranges also had great/unique WE.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:17 am

A 177 will open more doors than you think.

Honestly, you should work for a few years and then think about law school. The distance from your GPA will help.

gitgudatlaw

New

Post by gitgudatlaw » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 am

crumb cake wrote:A 177 will open more doors than you think.

Honestly, you should work for a few years and then think about law school. The distance from your GPA will help.
I really want to just work till next Fall and then go. I'll be 25 when I start law school. I spent too much time as an undergrad that I feel like I don't want to waste anymore time and start law school as soon as I can. I really hope around 1 year of work experience plus my scores will get me in a good school.

Even if I dont get a good scholarship, I am hoping I'll get a good scholarship in my last two years in law school

devilblue

New

Post by devilblue » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:33 am

(1) your scholarship likely isn't going up after the first year. At your current school you'll be a captive audience, and transfers don't get scholarships (generally, i think, correct me if I'm wrong).

(2) you asked for advice on this thread and just wrote a post arguing back at someone's advice. If your mind is made up, it's made up, but don't solicit advice from people and then come
back arguing against the very advice you supposedly want to hear.

(3) here's my advice: find a time machine, fix that gpa, go to Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:36 am

gitgudatlaw wrote:

I really want to just work till next Fall and then go. I'll be 25 when I start law school. I spent too much time as an undergrad that I feel like I don't want to waste anymore time and start law school as soon as I can. I really hope around 1 year of work experience plus my scores will get me in a good school.

Even if I dont get a good scholarship, I am hoping I'll get a good scholarship in my last two years in law school
1. I really want to just have a mysterious rich patron pay off my loans in exchange for a bit of kindness I once showed a man when I was but an orphan on the streets of London. Sadly, I don't think either of us are going to get our heart's desire. You might get lucky this cycle, but your chances improve markedly with WE, because each year you're working is another year between you and a really, really bad GPA.

2. That's not how scholarships work in law school. The only time you might be able to go from no scholarship to a good scholarship would be if you happened to place at the absolute top of your class and applied as a transfer elsewhere. If you got in, you could leverage that against your current school to get money out of them. But there's no guarantee your school would bite (even if you were lucky enough to be in the position to try this). And when all is said and done, you'd still have a full year of law school at sticker under your belt, which generally comes to $70,000-90,000.

iwoeps

New

Post by iwoeps » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:42 am

devilblue wrote:(2) you asked for advice on this thread and just wrote a post arguing back at someone's advice. If your mind is made up, it's made up, but don't solicit advice from people and then come
In OP's defense, I interpret them to be asking what their chances of admission to various law schools are, which is not the same as asking for advice on how to maximize their chances given the current state of their application. I think your assumption that OP was asking for normative advice is pretty unsubstantiated.

gitgudatlaw

New

Post by gitgudatlaw » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 am

iwoeps wrote:
devilblue wrote:(2) you asked for advice on this thread and just wrote a post arguing back at someone's advice. If your mind is made up, it's made up, but don't solicit advice from people and then come
In OP's defense, I interpret them to be asking what their chances of admission to various law schools are, which is not the same as asking for advice on how to maximize their chances given the current state of their application. I think your assumption that OP was asking for normative advice is pretty unsubstantiated.

thanks for the defense and yes you are right. I didn't think I was arguing. I just wanted thoughts on my chances at a top school for fall 2018, not advice on how to maximize my chances of admission because I have made up my mind to attend law school in fall 2018.

Thanks for all of the thoughts/opinions.

devilblue

New

Post by devilblue » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:07 am

Mybad; assumed you were looking for the latter. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 am

gitgudatlaw wrote:
iwoeps wrote:

thanks for the defense and yes you are right. I didn't think I was arguing. I just wanted thoughts on my chances at a top school for fall 2018, not advice on how to maximize my chances of admission because I have made up my mind to attend law school in fall 2018.

Since you're not looking for advice:

http://mylsn.info

Have fun.

devilblue

New

Post by devilblue » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:37 am

UVA2B wrote:
gitgudatlaw wrote:
iwoeps wrote:

Since you're not looking for advice:

http://mylsn.info

Have fun.
And that ^ is why I assumed you were looking for advice. If you want to know your chances, look at the school's numbers. Simple.

Sploshy

New

Post by Sploshy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:39 pm

probably not enough data points for those scores though. No one can really tell you how you're going to do this cycle. Apply broadly. If you put it on 2.5-3.0 and 177-180 then you can at least have something to look at but since your gpa isn't' 2.5-3.0 its probably not accurate. I'd say you probably want to apply to your state school (the state you want to work in when you're out) and then blanket t13.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:43 am

At the end of the day, a 2.0 reports the exact same way as a 3.5 does for T14 schools. Both are under their 25 percentiles, so it doesn't largely matter in terms of raw numbers. What DOES matter, is that you just admitted you were a shitty student and basically don't have a good reason as to why you failed so much. So why would a law school be willing to accept you, if you're a shitty student? Your best (and maybe only option) is to work for a few years (likely 3+) and distance yourself from your GPA. If you don't want to work more, lower your bar and expect disappointment from the T14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 am

Has WUSTL literally ever rejected anyone with above a 170 and 2.0?
MyLSN seems to suggest no.
http://mylsn.info/rfdrr0/

FluidMosaic

New

Post by FluidMosaic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm

gitgudatlaw wrote:

Also getting employment with a 2.46 that is worth taking years off before going to law school is pretty difficult to get.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm

FluidMosaic wrote:
gitgudatlaw wrote:

Also getting employment with a 2.46 that is worth taking years off before going to law school is pretty difficult to get.
Orrrrrr, do a 3-year enlistment (or Officer Candidate School) in the military and law school will be free anywhere you get accepted (with a monthly stipend), and its a nice soft when job-hunting comes around.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”