Super Splitter, chances at t14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gitgudatlaw

New

Super Splitter, chances at t14?

Post by gitgudatlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 am

LSAT: 177
GPA: 2.46 (Economics)

Going to try and work for a year (just graduated this past May) and apply to go to law school starting in Fall 2018. I am asian so not sure if that matters. I will be 25 years old when I go to law school. I don't have any internships so I will most likely be working as a bank teller for a few months and hopefully get promoted so not sure if that counts as good work experience.

I live in Texas and would love to get a good scholarship from UT law. I know its not a T14 school but its at least T20. I am very interested in Berkeley as well but not sure if I have a chance. Any idea if I can make it in a t14 school on a good scholarship? Should I take the LSAT again in September or December to try and get a point higher or is that not worth it.

cavalier1138

Re: Super Splitter, chances at t14?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:45 am

There's no point in retaking the LSAT. Your admissions results are going to be all over the map, but here are a few ideas:

1. Apply broadly, as in every school in the T20 broadly. You won't get in to most of the T13 (especially not a place like Berkeley, which is extremely GPA-conscious), but you might get lucky and swing admission at UVA/Northwestern (again, not likely, but your LSAT is high enough to at least make it a remote possibility).

2. Apply early.

3. If all else fails, take another year or two off to get some more work experience and separate yourself from that GPA.

4. No matter what, your scholarship offers are going to be completely unpredictable. You might get offered a decent amount of money at a good school, or you might get nothing. You're an extreme splitter, and that makes most of your cycle difficult to predict.

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Make sure you do optional essays etc on your applications - to show effort to counteract the low GPA. Just make sure your applications are pristine.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 am

Alive97 wrote:Make sure you do optional essays etc on your applications - to show effort to counteract the low GPA. Just make sure your applications are pristine.
The optional essays, though, probably shouldn't talk about your GPA unless there is some special reason (I.e. You had a debilitating illness for a year of school).

Sploshy

New

Post by Sploshy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am

I mean technically Texas is a t14 now but people go by t13 now. You have similar scores to me. I also live in Texas and think it would be a great outcome. I have a slightly higher gpa: around a 2.8. Looking at mylsn.info I have been able to see some people (~50%) get accepted to UVA/Penn/NU with these scores [2.5-3/175-180] and with some scholarships. When I change the GPA to 2.0-2.5 literally nothing shows up because I guess those levels of scores are so rare. I have it set to the last two years. I'm not sure if your GPA is too low to get the outcomes that these people are getting, but it is probably worth a shot.

I can't link images but this is the url:

175-180/2.5-3.0

Like everyone else has said make sure your app is flawless and try to do all of the optional essays. If you fare as well as some of those people you could have extremely good scholarship amounts and if you threaten to transfer to yale/harvard/stanford the year after you can probably get a bump close to full ride at uva/penn/nu.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:39 am

You need to put more distance between yourself and your GPA. More than a year imo. What your app shows to me is that you're smart (177) but lazy in school. You need to show growth and maturation and then you should have better chances. Your cycles will be unpredictable.

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Read this quickly as Sean Spicer, chances at t14?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”