How much will high LSAT help if International GPA is poor? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DolnaRay

New

How much will high LSAT help if International GPA is poor?

Post by DolnaRay » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:58 am

Everywhere its said that LSAT matters more than GPA for international applicants, but I am having my doubts as I have an abysmal GPA.

What schools should an international student target if he/she has poor GPA?

I am from India which has evaluation system similar to UK. I have a 2:2 in my History major. UK students here will understand that 2:2 is a harbinger of doom. My transcripts will be in all probability get termed as below average. My WES calculation is a grand 2.5+. ( pathetic I know). My grad school GPA is 3.8 ish,( which wont be considered anyway)

I am trying my darned best to get a 175+ on the LSAT. If by God's grace, I am successful, what schools will I have a chance in? I am non URM, non military etc.

I am targeting T30/40 schools. Any chance there?

Has there been any international student has made it with poor UG GPA and great LSAT?

freekick

Bronze

Re: How much will high LSAT help if International GPA is poor?

Post by freekick » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:50 am

I recently replied to a couple of similar queries and have modified those responses for your queries.

- See this spreadsheet to get an idea of how (some) applicants without a numerical GPA fared this cycle: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

- As an international applicant, you want to be at or above the 75th to have a shot at admission plus some scholarship.

- Your ugpa is likely to get the 'poor' or 'below average' evaluation from LSAC. Chancing applicants without a numerical gpa is extremely difficult. It comes down to the quality of the international pool in your cycle, schools' priorities, your softs, nationality and a host of other things which are meaningless to talk about in the abstract.

- You are probably right in realistically targeting t30-40 schools with your gpa. A 170+ should open some good doors for you. However, you should apply as widely as you can to the extent you can afford it and especially if you have a good explanation for your grades and/or good sorts or any other unique feature.

Hope that helps.

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:00 am

freekick wrote:I recently replied to a couple of similar queries and have modified those responses for your queries.

- See this spreadsheet to get an idea of how (some) applicants without a numerical GPA fared this cycle: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

- As an international applicant, you want to be at or above the 75th to have a shot at admission plus some scholarship.

- Your ugpa is likely to get the 'poor' or 'below average' evaluation from LSAC. Chancing applicants without a numerical gpa is extremely difficult. It comes down to the quality of the international pool in your cycle, schools' priorities, your softs, nationality and a host of other things which are meaningless to talk about in the abstract.

- You are probably right in realistically targeting t30-40 schools with your gpa. A 170+ should open some good doors for you. However, you should apply as widely as you can to the extent you can afford it and especially if you have a good explanation for your grades and/or good sorts or any other unique feature.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I am aiming a high LSAT ( 175+) . If any T 40-50 takes me, well and good. If not, a good T2 ( 50-70) is good enough. I just don't want to end up at T3 or unranked schools like thomas cooley :(. One of the users here who probably had his/her LSAC evaluation was below average ended up at Cooley even with a 171 LSAT. Then again that person might be lying about the LSAT score... if he/she weren't .... all I can say, is that I am truly terrified.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:34 am

DolnaRay wrote:
freekick wrote:I recently replied to a couple of similar queries and have modified those responses for your queries.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I am aiming a high LSAT ( 175+) . If any T 40-50 takes me, well and good. If not, a good T2 ( 50-70) is good enough. I just don't want to end up at T3 or unranked schools like Thomas Cooley :(. One of the users here who probably had his/her LSAC evaluation was below average ended up at Cooley even with a 171 LSAT. Then again that person might be lying about the LSAT score... if he/she weren't .... all I can say, is that I am truly terrified.
I think you'll be able to go to a fine regional school, and that may be a good option for you depending on citizenship status and whether you'd consider living in the regions that those schools are in. Cooley is not a fine regional. Best of luck on the LSAT!

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:26 am

DolnaRay wrote:Everywhere its said that LSAT matters more than GPA for international applicants, but I am having my doubts as I have an abysmal GPA.

I am from India which has evaluation system similar to UK. I have a 2:2 in my History major. UK students here will understand that 2:2 is a harbinger of doom. My transcripts will be in all probability get termed as below average. My WES calculation is a grand 2.5+. ( pathetic I know). My grad school GPA is 3.8 ish,( which wont be considered anyway)

I am trying my darned best to get a 175+ on the LSAT. If by God's grace, I am successful, what schools will I have a chance in? I am non URM, non military etc.

Has there been any international student has made it with poor UG GPA and great LSAT?
i am of the opinion that you're in luck.

if you had a low US GPA, that'd have to be reported to US news but an international GPA doesn't factor into anything. the low international GPA won't be ignored but if you have a 173+, T-14 is very possible.

basically, given you're an international, the importance of your gpa is relatively less than that of US applicants so if you do well on the LSAT, i think you should still be able to nab a T-14 acceptance. good luck

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:39 am

sanzgo wrote:
DolnaRay wrote:Everywhere its said that LSAT matters more than GPA for international applicants, but I am having my doubts as I have an abysmal GPA.

i am of the opinion that you're in luck.

if you had a low US GPA, that'd have to be reported to US news but an international GPA doesn't factor into anything. the low international GPA won't be ignored but if you have a 173+, T-14 is very possible.

basically, given you're an international, the importance of your gpa is relatively less than that of US applicants so if you do well on the LSAT, i think you should still be able to nab a T-14 acceptance. good luck
Hmmm. At this point, I will just count myself lucky if I don't end up at T3 or unranked schools. Will be a massive let down if I end up at Cooley or some T3 if I manage a 170+.
Thank you for your kind words.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”