Significantly Worse Retake (172 to 167) with 3.9x - Splitter? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Aricole

New

Significantly Worse Retake (172 to 167) with 3.9x - Splitter?

Post by Aricole » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Hello all! I have indeed posted before in this section, after my first LSAT in February. After this 5-point drop in June's test, from 172 to 167, I have rechecked the various info available but still find myself at quite a loss.

So the LSAC score report now averages me at 170. Since both tests that I took are non-disclosed (February and June-Asia(, I cannot really see what I messed up. Also there was no dramatic things or emergency situations that day, so it could really just be me becoming subconsciously very nervous. I would have posted in the test-prep section, but since I do have a strong intention NOT to retake a third time, I wonder if anyone could help re-assess my situation.

I'm a rising senior international student in a Top 20 private, applying for Fall 2018 (as a K-JD). I double major in History and Political Science. Currently my GPA is 3.969 - not exactly sure if the admission officers would see my GPA for this coming semester, but basically it'd be something in the 3.9x range. I am also writing a honors thesis for my History major.

My softs are quite average, if not below: two research assistantships and one more pending (one law professor and two history); co-chief editor of a peer-reviewed academic journal of my college; and two rather brief internships at Chinese law firms (huge domestically but really not internationally famous).

Given this huge drop of LSAT, I wonder if there is still a realistic chance at T6? I guess the lowering trend is much more alarming than the 167 itself. Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks in advance!

cavalier1138

Re: Significantly Worse Retake (172 to 167) with 3.9x - Splitter?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 pm

It won't affect your app. Schools look at the highest score.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:55 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:30 am

Aricole wrote: Given this huge drop of LSAT, I wonder if there is still a realistic chance at T6?
You have a 3.97/172 combo. You're easily in at CCN barring something really weird about your application.

There's some anecdotal evidence that LSAT retakes hurt you at YLS and maybe SLS, so perhaps your 167 retake harms you ever so slightly at the top two schools. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Apply to every school in the t14. You'll get into almost all of them, and you'll likely get significant scholarship offers from several.

Amerision

Bronze

Post by Amerision » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Aricole wrote:Hello all! I have indeed posted before in this section, after my first LSAT in February. After this 5-point drop in June's test, from 172 to 167, I have rechecked the various info available but still find myself at quite a loss.

So the LSAC score report now averages me at 170. Since both tests that I took are non-disclosed (February and June-Asia(, I cannot really see what I messed up. Also there was no dramatic things or emergency situations that day, so it could really just be me becoming subconsciously very nervous. I would have posted in the test-prep section, but since I do have a strong intention NOT to retake a third time, I wonder if anyone could help re-assess my situation.

I'm a rising senior international student in a Top 20 private, applying for Fall 2018 (as a K-JD). I double major in History and Political Science. Currently my GPA is 3.969 - not exactly sure if the admission officers would see my GPA for this coming semester, but basically it'd be something in the 3.9x range. I am also writing a honors thesis for my History major.

My softs are quite average, if not below: two research assistantships and one more pending (one law professor and two history); co-chief editor of a peer-reviewed academic journal of my college; and two rather brief internships at Chinese law firms (huge domestically but really not internationally famous).

Given this huge drop of LSAT, I wonder if there is still a realistic chance at T6? I guess the lowering trend is much more alarming than the 167 itself. Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks in advance!
Hey, unrelated to your question since the others have answered -- do you have a lawschoolnumbers profile? My numbers are almost identical to yours (GPA a tiny bit higher, LSAT the same) and I would really like to follow your application cycle so I can try and predict what will happen to me.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:18 am

Hello again! Thanks so much for everyone's advice - they are really encouraging. Just recovered from the "shock" and now ready to carry on with the application.

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:21 am

Amerision wrote:
Aricole wrote:Hello all! I have indeed posted before in this section, after my first LSAT in February. After this 5-point drop in June's test, from 172 to 167, I have rechecked the various info available but still find myself at quite a loss.

Hey, unrelated to your question since the others have answered -- do you have a lawschoolnumbers profile? My numbers are almost identical to yours (GPA a tiny bit higher, LSAT the same) and I would really like to follow your application cycle so I can try and predict what will happen to me.
Hello! I do not yet have a LSN profile, but I could certainly inform you if I decide to establish one later. Are you applying this circle or next? In any case, you could always PM me with application questions!

Amerision

Bronze

Post by Amerision » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Aricole wrote: Hello! I do not yet have a LSN profile, but I could certainly inform you if I decide to establish one later. Are you applying this circle or next? In any case, you could always PM me with application questions!
Yes, please do! I'm a rising junior, so applying Fall 2018 for Fall 2019 admissions. I will absolutely do so as you go throughout your app cycle, thank you!
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Amerision wrote:
Aricole wrote: Hello! I do not yet have a LSN profile, but I could certainly inform you if I decide to establish one later. Are you applying this circle or next? In any case, you could always PM me with application questions!
Yes, please do! I'm a rising junior, so applying Fall 2018 for Fall 2019 admissions. I will absolutely do so as you go throughout your app cycle, thank you!
Hello again! I just want to update that I did open/update my LSN profile now. If you'd still want to watch my app cycle, my username is "Aricole" (should be this one...).

Amerision

Bronze

Removed

Post by Amerision » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:40 am

Removed post.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”