3.34 / 173 - Chances for Columbia, NYU and the rest Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Incredible

New

3.34 / 173 - Chances for Columbia, NYU and the rest

Post by Incredible » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:53 pm

cGPA: 3.34
LSAT: 173
MyLSN Projection (Columbia): 67%
MyLSN Projection (NYU): 80%

23 Years Old, non-URM
STEM major at a flagship state school. Started my undergrad with 1 year at a community college
Downward GPA trend (lost interest in the topics, family issues and wanted a social life)
1 year neuroscience research, lots of data analysis
>6 years work and volunteer experience in healthcare
1 Gap year before applying
Opinion piece publication in small newspaper (not sure if this counts for anything)

How will these softs flex my odds? Should I retake the LSAT?

I'm specifically thinking about NYU and CU, but advise on the remaining T13's is appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: 3.34 / 173 - Chances for Columbia, NYU and the rest

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm

A higher LSAT score might move the needle on Columbia, but it probably wouldn't make a difference with NYU. Your softs don't really help, but a downward GPA trend is rare (and may hurt a bit on the margins).

Incredible

New

Post by Incredible » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:A higher LSAT score might move the needle on Columbia, but it probably wouldn't make a difference with NYU. Your softs don't really help, but a downward GPA trend is rare (and may hurt a bit on the margins).
Just hoping my positive softs (work, volunteer & research) outweigh or neutralize the negative softs (downward trend)

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Incredible wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:A higher LSAT score might move the needle on Columbia, but it probably wouldn't make a difference with NYU. Your softs don't really help, but a downward GPA trend is rare (and may hurt a bit on the margins).
Just hoping my positive softs (work, volunteer & research) outweigh or neutralize the negative softs (downward trend)
Based off this, will schools correlate OP's downward trend in their GPA with the softs they're presenting?

As in, automatically and most certainly always base the GPA decreasing on the "softs" the applicant has.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:42 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote: As in, automatically and most certainly always
Rarely is anyone ever going to be able to say yes to something worded this strongly in relation to the inner workings of dozens of adcoms. And I think it's a strong no to your question in particular.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:01 pm

guybourdin wrote:
future liT1g4tor wrote: As in, automatically and most certainly always
Rarely is anyone ever going to be able to say yes to something worded this strongly in relation to the inner workings of dozens of adcoms. And I think it's a strong no to your question in particular.
I was phrasing it in such way to pretty much just say is it the norm what most adcoms will think.

Obviously it's not unsound to assume they will think that way. I can see past it, but will adcoms be as quick to do the same?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote: Obviously it's not unsound to assume
Why is that obvious? It's not obvious to me. I don't think you should assume anything like that.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
Incredible wrote:
Based off this, will schools correlate OP's downward trend in their GPA with the softs they're presenting?

As in, automatically and most certainly always base the GPA decreasing on the "softs" the applicant has.
I'm really not even sure what you're asking, but adcomms are experienced in looking at the whole pictured presented by an applicant. The OP isn't suggesting the softs are an explanation for the downward trend (so I'm not sure why you say "correlate" - it's not a scientific equation where x amount of work is equal to a .3 gpa decline), but that they make up for it at least in some way. It's likely adcomms can look at that and say "has a downward GPA trend, but has also demonstrated work experience/responsibility in relatively demanding fields." None of us can say exactly how much adcomms will weigh either the downward trends or the softs. Presumably the downward trend combined with the softs isn't as much as a negative as for someone who has a downward trend with nothing else to balance it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”